Cant get Mixcraft 8 to recognise audio inputs on card

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Freerskier

Cant get Mixcraft 8 to recognise audio inputs on card

Post by Freerskier »

Hi,

Juts moved and reset up my rig. Done away with mid/usb novation keyboard and just using a synth with midid and audio outs.

All good so far - I can record and playback midi recorded tracks, but I 1) Cant record the audio from the synth

The audio outs from the synth are plugged into the audio ins on a channel on my mixer. monitor out frm the mixer goes to the active monitor speakers. main outs from the mixer go to the audio ins on my EMU 1212 card. I can play the synth fine, the audio passes through the mixer to the speakers as expected. But the signal from the main outs to the card doesn't get "seen" by mixcraft. The I/O on the card is not recognized whan I arm a track just all the ASIO options. If I change to RT or Wav it says "there was a problem arming an input" etc. But im just using the Audio I/o on the card.

PS All drivers are up to date.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: Cant get Mixcraft 8 to recognise audio inputs on card

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Did you arm the right input on an audio track? Not a virtual track.
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Thanks for the reply.

Just breaking it down a bit....

Do you mean "right" as in left and right. If so yes as I'm recording in stereo, both channels.

If you mean "right" as in arming the correct channel - i.e. The arm button on the audio track then yes.

I'm not on a Vi track at all as I'm recording audio.

The only audio inputs that come up are all the ASIO options, nothing for just card I/O.

Thanks.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Eric means... did you arm a Audio Track as appose to a Virtual Instrument Track? As in the second (2) track shown in this image.

EDIT: Does it work if you plug the synth straight into the audio interface (audio inputs, not midi)? Plus you should use the interface ASIO, oh and make sure the ASIO driver is up-to-date too.
Attachments
Capture 101b.PNG
Capture 101b.PNG (10.76 KiB) Viewed 10182 times
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Yes. I armed the newly inserted audio track. Not a nearby vi track as I'm recording audio.

I'll try plugging straight in.

Thanks.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Here's how the ASIO options work:

First input armed on the left gives you Input 1.
Second input armed on the right gives you Input 2.
Third Input armed on the left gives you Input 3.
And so on.

So, if the audio is connected to Input 1 on your interface, you'd arm the first input on the left.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Ok - been a bit of a gap but now I can record audio - albeit in mono only from the stereo outs of my keyboard via a stereo channel on my mixer that goes then to the L and r inputs of the emu 1212 card. BTW - All drivers are up to date.

In the mixer tab if I try to toggle mono to stereo just get intolerable feedback. thats prob number 1.

Number 2 issue is there's no volume slider on the audio track to limit the input - weird. Ther is on audio tracks say for drum loops etc. Even after recording - no volume slider - why is that?

Ok, and now (mono fanfare on latency affected brass patch!) for problem 3. When I record audio from my keyboard the audio track records everything again thats already in the song including the metronome, VI tracks, tracks with sample loops, everything on toe the new track. Great fun but totally unusable so I still cant record audio. Gotta think this is some setting somewhere thats got turned on/off thats summing/sending all previous recorded tracks in whatever format as audio to the newly recording audio track.

NO - there is no live microphone going through my desk. Its as if mixcraft is "hearing" all the other tracks and re-recording them into the new audio track along with the new audio I am playing + the metronome.

All fun problems and I look forward to eventually making this usable - so all advice, as ever gratefully received.

Can I spin this around a bit - rather than continually posting this and that "fun problems" could anyone advise exactly what the configuration shoud be. I have an extremely uncomplex set up. Stereo outs from keyboard to mixer to L and R in on 1212 card. Midi out to card in, midi out from card to mid in on keyboard. USB mic. That's it - not elaborate. Using ASIO drivers and the comprehensive Patchmix EMU software with the 1212 card. I just want it to, yunno, work I guess.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Freerskier wrote:Ok - been a bit of a gap but now I can record audio - albeit in mono only from the stereo outs of my keyboard via a stereo channel on my mixer that goes then to the L and r inputs of the emu 1212 card. BTW - All drivers are up to date.

In the mixer tab if I try to toggle mono to stereo just get intolerable feedback. thats prob number 1.

Number 2 issue is there's no volume slider on the audio track to limit the input - weird. Ther is on audio tracks say for drum loops etc. Even after recording - no volume slider - why is that?

Ok, and now (mono fanfare on latency affected brass patch!) for problem 3. When I record audio from my keyboard the audio track records everything again thats already in the song including the metronome, VI tracks, tracks with sample loops, everything on toe the new track. Great fun but totally unusable so I still cant record audio. Gotta think this is some setting somewhere thats got turned on/off thats summing/sending all previous recorded tracks in whatever format as audio to the newly recording audio track.

NO - there is no live microphone going through my desk. Its as if mixcraft is "hearing" all the other tracks and re-recording them into the new audio track along with the new audio I am playing + the metronome.

All fun problems and I look forward to eventually making this usable - so all advice, as ever gratefully received.

Can I spin this around a bit - rather than continually posting this and that "fun problems" could anyone advise exactly what the configuration shoud be. I have an extremely uncomplex set up. Stereo outs from keyboard to mixer to L and R in on 1212 card. Midi out to card in, midi out from card to mid in on keyboard. USB mic. That's it - not elaborate. Using ASIO drivers and the comprehensive Patchmix EMU software with the 1212 card. I just want it to, yunno, work I guess.
Hi,

1. Most microphones and instruments are mono. Just arm the track on the side that has the sound: left or right. You can then pan that mono recording in your stereo mix.

2. When recording in ASIO mode, there's no volume slider. This is because ASIO provides a more direct connection to your hardware. Passing the audio through software controls would just slow it down. When using ASIO, control the recording volume with your hardware.

3. When you click the small arrow next to the Arm button on your audio track, which recording device are you selecting? If you are selecting the 1212, then that means that the playback audio from the other tracks is being routed back into your recording input and you need to change a setting on the 1212.

Greg
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
It sounds as though you are playing back the recorded sound (tracks) through your mixer. It sounds like you are sending that audio back into the main outs back into daw with your new takes. You may also get feed back because of this.If you are using your mixer to drive your monitor speakers, you may have to connect it differently.

With my setup, I send the daw output to my speakers. I use a 2nd gen. Scarlet 18i20 and use a second output pair connected to my mixer so I can record virtual instrument audio. I can hear my Rhodes or synths when played through my mixer, the mixer out goes to 2 inputs ( stereo pair). This way I can hear the daw audio and the sounds coming through my mixer.

You could have your mixer output ( stereo pair ) to go your audio card in. Then have the audio card out go to your speakers. Then you would be able to hear your daw audio and your mixer audio. When you record, the audio from your mixer will be recorded. You will hear the daw and the mixer audio at the same time. Just set levels to balance the sound of both, while maintaining a good recording level.

In my setup my inputs 1 thru 6 are for micrphones, inputs 7 & 8 are from my mixer. With my mixer I can use my outboard compressors and midi verb4. When I recorded a drum kit I used the 6 mics for the individual drums and the mixer for a stereo overhead, with the dual compressor used to take the signal.

So check how it is connected, make any changes if needed.
Hope this helps.
- Myran
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi again,
If you have only 2 inputs on your sound card ( audio interface ) you won't have to change anything when you record. Well just change to a new track/s and arm then record.
- Myran.
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Thanks folks.

Firstly Greg -
1) My synth is stereo - so whilst I understand your logic Im kind of thinking the mixcraft can record in stereo. Ive done it before from a USB keyboard triggering a stereo module.I've stero patches that have movement between L and R on the synth.
2) Ok so I ride the volume on the synth on recording - what about after its been recorded. There's no track volume control. The volume is then set? Yep, I could go into the track and start drawing in volume curves but...
3) I'm selecting the ASIO in/out when recording.

Drdish007 -
Yep, does sound like a mixer routing thang - I'll take a look at that for sure. The main outs from the mixer go to the L and r of the card. Ill look at your other suggestions and re-check connections but I've not really changed anything from when I had a USB board and a synth module connected nthe same way audio and midi as the synth is now. Literally/logically I've removed the USB board and put the synth in its place - its midi going to the in and out on the card, with the audio form the synth going to the same mixer channel the module used before.

Just thinking this should be so simple - I have a stereo synth the emu 1212 a small behringer Q802 mixer (not using the USB functionality as its not really that good), self powered monitors. That's it.
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

So figured out the routing on the mixer - a combo of the ctrl room and main mix buttons on the little mixer. No repeated previously recorded audio.

However, soon as I hit arm on an audio track massive hum.

2 steps forward I guess - still not usable to record audio.

Just cant help thinking again, and I know I put this a lot, but I have such as simple set-up for home demos. What would create the hum now? wasn't there before. I haven't replugged anything. All cords are good.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try to isolate the problem. Narrow down what could be causing it by unplugging things.

Sometimes hums are caused by the power supply. Are you on a laptop?

Check out this article: TRACK DOWN THE BUZZ IN YOUR SOUND SYSTEM

Greg
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Thanks Greg.

The hum only comes on when I arm a track. Disappears when I disarm the track.

No hum on playback.

Again, I have a super simple set up per earlier posts.

Also, re my volume question above - is it really the case that volume on an audio track cannot be changed once recorded. I can't believe this isn't possible. Just so inflexible and not a feature you'd deliberately design to be there. This isn't the case in other pro DAWs.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Of course you can change the volume after a sound has been recorded. I wrote that there's no software volume slider in ASIO mode and that you'd use your audio hardware to set the recording volume. Is that what you're talking about?

If you only hear the hum when you arm a track, then the hum must be coming from your recording device? What's in the audio chain that gets the recording audio into your computer? Try isolating the problem.

Greg