Orchestral Template

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rtz

Orchestral Template

Post by rtz »

Hey Guys just got mixcraft 8!
I was wondering if anyone has a orchestral template or some tips on how to make one within mixcraft 8.
Libraries Used: All of EastWest Composer Cloud
Drdish007

Re: Orchestral Template

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I use EW Gold box set. Just load the current Play engine. It should show up as a virtual instrument. Once Play is open, select the type of instrument you want. You can setup multiple tracks with different instruments. Once you have the number of instruments you want, save as a template.
I have the orchestra instruments stored on a separate hard drive. I have a SSD for OS, a HHD for the EW, and a HHD for recorded files.
I have the EW Gold grand pianos and gold symphony box sets.
I have had no problems with the Play engine.
Hope this helps.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi again.
Also read the Mixcraft manual about setting up templates. You can view it under Mixcraft support on line. A.hard copy is also available.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
chibear

Post by chibear »

Aside from what has already been stated......

Right now my orchestra template is mostly Kontakt instruments, but my percussion is still EWQL stuff. Here are my suggestions for the latter.

1. One track per instrument. Do not stuff your instances of play with a bunch of different instruments.
2. However you can set up multiple articulations per track & instrument using a multi-timbral setup (see my post in the 'tips' section) and lanes all on the same channel as it is most likely you will only be using one articulation at a time.
3. Spread your tracks across all 16 MIDI channels as it will minimize the possibility of one channel being overloaded and/or cross talk between instruments on the same channel.
4. Use submix tracks as 'folders' to organize your instrument families and for viewing purposes.
5. Do not put reverb on individual tracks. Rather use sends for early reflections for specific stage locations, sending the appropriate instruments to those locations, and a hall reverb on the master for late reflections/glue.

There's lots more you'll figure out once you've been doing it awhile, but that should give you a start.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube