Mixcraft in action-Total Recall (Critique wanted)

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Benjamin Drew

Mixcraft in action-Total Recall (Critique wanted)

Post by Benjamin Drew »

This song is one that was done months ago and totally revamped about a month ago. It used to be named "Crush", But since I could no longer find the instrument that inspired the name, I named it total recall.

Anyways, looking for critique on mixing and mastering quality. Been watching a lot of videos on the subject and working on it.

Yes, there are many drum tracks. But I found it much easier to pan and mix them individually.

The aduio section are from two sources. Some from my Juno DS61 and other from plugins. I had to record the audio on the plugins because there's arpeggiator action that sounds great when playing on mixcraft. But upon Mixdown it was somehow messing with the notes and it just didn't sound right.

P.S. Don't worry about hurting my feelings! :)

Oh, and if anyone can suggest a genre, please do so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZWeFYLMjHU

I redid the video, the small drum section just after the 1:50 mark was off by milliseconds. People may not have caught, I can't believe I missed it! lol anyways, redone video below if you wish to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWWMmfWA5DE
Last edited by Benjamin Drew on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Craig

Re: Mixcraft in action-Total Recall (Critique wanted)

Post by Ian Craig »

Hi, (Please note - I hate EDM),

Apart from the 10 second section when it sounded like it was going to be the usual oul EDM after the first 5 seconds, before it filtered that back out of it after about 15 seconds I thought it was an interesting hybrid mix of many different reference points (Midi music in 1990s computer games being one, morodor-style disco being another,). I like it best when it has the drum slow down in the middle followed by the best sounding bit which is the tone of the pattern that comes back in. I also like the way the track starts and ends on the same pattern. I reminds me of the way I had a simple note pattern left at the end of a track I did in 1996. It has a similar dynamic reference recurrence (it reminds me I should remaster it, as the frequency balance isn't great on it) https://soundcloud.com/user7317360/16-2-6a4-cross-winds.
In any case, I suggest putting as many genre tags on things as you feel you've referenced. That's what I do anyway. Keep enjoying yourself :D
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Benjamin Drew

Post by Benjamin Drew »

Ian Craig wrote:Hi, (Please note - I hate EDM),

Apart from the 10 second section when it sounded like it was going to be the usual oul EDM after the first 5 seconds, before it filtered that back out of it after about 15 seconds I thought it was an interesting hybrid mix of many different reference points (Midi music in 1990s computer games being one, morodor-style disco being another,). I like it best when it has the drum slow down in the middle followed by the best sounding bit which is the tone of the pattern that comes back in. I also like the way the track starts and ends on the same pattern. I reminds me of the way I had a simple note pattern left at the end of a track I did in 1996. It has a similar dynamic reference recurrence (it reminds me I should remaster it, as the frequency balance isn't great on it) https://soundcloud.com/user7317360/16-2-6a4-cross-winds.
In any case, I suggest putting as many genre tags on things as you feel you've referenced. That's what I do anyway. Keep enjoying yourself :D
Thank you, I just did a post edit. I left the original video but made another. The a small section of drums was off just after the 1:50 mark in the video just by milliseconds it seemed. Tiny little correction helped. I can't believe I missed that!

Yes, I like how you stacked the synths in that song. One or two of the instruments in the mid/high frequency range may be a bit harsh, a little too upfront and may need to be "EQ'd" to tame them a bit. I don't have the greatest studio headphones either, so maybe it my headphones (Audio-Technica ATH-M50x)
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I knew nothing of EQ in 1996, just started on computer making soundfonts using a Creative Labs AWE32 soundcard, layering masses of mostly ROM samples to get good sounds, then there was just the Chorus and Reverb FX system of the card.
Windows 10 Professional
Benjamin Drew

Post by Benjamin Drew »

Ian Craig wrote:I knew nothing of EQ in 1996, just started on computer making soundfonts using a Creative Labs AWE32 soundcard, layering masses of mostly ROM samples to get good sounds, then there was just the Chorus and Reverb FX system of the card.
Your song is a decent song though. I'm sure I got quite a bit of correction coming my way. I just started music production October of last year so I have a long ways to go and a lot to learn. :)
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Benjamin Drew wrote:
Ian Craig wrote:I knew nothing of EQ in 1996, just started on computer making soundfonts using a Creative Labs AWE32 soundcard, layering masses of mostly ROM samples to get good sounds, then there was just the Chorus and Reverb FX system of the card.
Your song is a decent song though. I'm sure I got quite a bit of correction coming my way. I just started music production October of last year so I have a long ways to go and a lot to learn. :)

Yeah, I only really started learning about these things after September 2015, it took until September last year before I felt like I had learned enough, so it's more or less like any other language, babies learning to speak etc, it'll come in time :)
Windows 10 Professional
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well, not dance I hope! :lol: (scary visuals)

I dunno. Perhaps some hint of 80's cinematic electronica?

Hard to say. Not my thing. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page