Absolute Fury/Frustration w/EZDrummer Latency, Et Al

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

drumandstage

Absolute Fury/Frustration w/EZDrummer Latency, Et Al

Post by drumandstage »

Few things bring me to this level of agitation, but here I am!

I gave up on Mixcraft 8 after some of my files got corrupted.

Studio One is anything BUT intuitive to me, and after several false starts which have cost me the only weekend I had without the wife under my feet, I have come back to MC8.

I have upgraded PC's and Interfaces and I can get away with 10.0 ms latency in the Preferences. Anything slower and the electronic drums (Alesis DM 10 through EZDrummer 2) seem to stick and repeat quite a bit. Even at 10.0 ms, I cannot play with the track. The delay is so bad that I can't play in time.

I am going to research the MIDI in/out on the Clarett 2Pre to see if there is a workaround by going through that, but any help from anyone who has dealt with something similar would be appreciated.
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 (64GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 3 2TB HDDs, Windows 10 Home 64-bit), MX8, Studio One 4 Pro, Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre
jlouvar

Re: Absolute Fury/Frustration w/EZDrummer Latency, Et Al

Post by jlouvar »

drumandstage wrote:Few things bring me to this level of agitation, but here I am!

I gave up on Mixcraft 8 after some of my files got corrupted.

Studio One is anything BUT intuitive to me, and after several false starts which have cost me the only weekend I had without the wife under my feet, I have come back to MC8.

I have upgraded PC's and Interfaces and I can get away with 10.0 ms latency in the Preferences. Anything slower and the electronic drums (Alesis DM 10 through EZDrummer 2) seem to stick and repeat quite a bit. Even at 10.0 ms, I cannot play with the track. The delay is so bad that I can't play in time.

I am going to research the MIDI in/out on the Clarett 2Pre to see if there is a workaround by going through that, but any help from anyone who has dealt with something similar would be appreciated.
I don’t know how you corrupted files?
Make sure your interface driver is up-to-date, also select ASIO in preferences and make sure the interface settings are correct.

Plus you can get help at:
https://acoustica.kayako.com/conversation/new
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
drumandstage

Post by drumandstage »

The file corruption isn't my present concern. The latency on the midi drums is my issue at this point.

I have the midi via usb going into the pc/daw. I am listening to the drums in real time through an output going to my interface, so audible latency while recording isn't an issue, it's the fact that the drums are recording latently.
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 (64GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 3 2TB HDDs, Windows 10 Home 64-bit), MX8, Studio One 4 Pro, Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Outline the recorded notes on the piano roll. Zoom in on the start, grab the first recorded note and drag it to the start. This is what I would do (though I use the Toontrack midi arranger synced to host then drag the notes from the arranger onto the track on Mixcraft, then turn off the sync to host option in the arranger, modify the piano roll to whatever my idea needs, but it worked better earlier when I dragged the notes to what I thought the start point should be). All this computer stuff can make you ill if you don't learn to calm yourself down. It has to be done, then you can live with your adapted workflow. Calm.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
drumandstage

Post by drumandstage »

I just don't recall having a latency on the recording end before. Trying to listen "live" was another matter. I just don't get the latency with the USB input straight into the DAW.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

How are you recording EZDRUMMER live?
drumandstage wrote:I just don't get the latency with the USB input straight into the DAW.
Then why not use the interface USB straight into the computer/MIxcraft?
- Joe -

drumandstage

Post by drumandstage »

jlouvar wrote:How are you recording EZDRUMMER live?
drumandstage wrote:I just don't get the latency with the USB input straight into the DAW.
Then why not use the interface USB straight into the computer/MIxcraft?
That's what I am doing. Into the PC (the DAW is a program in the PC* sorry for the confusion). I am running it through the Interface, and really don't understand why anyone would (feel free to explain why)
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Sorry, I was confused, when you said “I just don't get the latency with the USB input straight into the DAW.” I thought you meant there wasn’t a legacy problem, my mistake.
Last edited by jlouvar on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Joe -

jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Okay I think I understand what you mean now, you have too much legacy when recording to a Mixcraft track using EZDRUMMER2 live with the Alesis DM 10.

Make sure you have both the interface and Alesis DM 10 drivers up-to-date, and ASIO selected in preferences... Also try plugging the Alesis DM 10 straight into a USB port on your PC instead of going through the interface and have all the settings correct, and turn off all unnecessary background apps.
- Joe -

jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Did plugging the Alesis DM 10 straight into a USB port on your PC instead of going through the interface solve the problem?
- Joe -

drumandstage

Post by drumandstage »

No. I was going straight into the PC the whole time.

I have discontinued using MC8.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Hmm, bummer... but if it works okay with another DAWs I'm sure its just a setting issue. I just got EZDRUMMER2 today, but I haven't tried using my Akai MPK249 pads with it yet.
- Joe -