Recommendations for a good set of headphones for mixing?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jlouvar

Re: Recommendations for a good set of headphones for mixing?

Post by jlouvar »

Ianpb wrote:
jlouvar wrote:But I recommend mixing with studio monitors rather than headphones.
If you do a mix with studio monitors, it can be pretty well guaranteed that you'll find something amiss when listening to the result through good headphones, particularly with regard to detail, and when switching between stereo and mono.
Yeah sometimes, but mixing solely with headphones isn’t a good idea either... Before a professional song is released the final mix is listened too over many devices... Studio monitors, home & vehicle stereos, headphones, earbuds, etc.

Most billboard top ten songs were mixed and mastered mostly through monitors.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I use Koss PRO4AA when I want to mix with headphones. I recommend listening to reference music that will give you a baseline on how your headphones sound, with respect of bass boost and mids and highs.
These are priced around $100.00usd. They are made very well, and have Koss's lifetime warranty. Made of mostly metal parts.
They are also great for recording as they isolate outside sounds and are quiet so your mic's won't pickup headphone leakage. My son loved using them when he recorded some drum tracks for me. He could hear the headphone mix with less of the kit sound getting in. Just the sounds from mic's of the kit. They don't isolate 100%, but lower the outside well.
They were made for studio uses.
After mixing with the headphones I listen on the monitors.
The reference music should be the same type of what you are mixing. Rock, hard rock, jazz...
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Look for monitoring headphones, because they won't add extra bass or otherwise mess with your perception of your mix.
You've obviously never used AT headphones. :wink:

Those mentioned are all good options IMO. But if you're only going to use them for mixing, definitely get open-ended headphones.
jddrock

Post by jddrock »

I use a pair of AKG K240s. (https://www.amazon.com/AKG-K240STUDIO-S ... B0001ARCFA) They're only $60 new. They're semi-open and I've found them very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. It's not fatiguing for me to go hours with these on. The highs and mids are absolutely beautiful and the low end is balanced and not overwhelming or overpowering. The balance and blend sounds just right to me. I use it when checking my mixes on different systems. I'll often pick up details in my mixes and other music I'm very familiar with on these headphones that I didn't notice in other places that help me make proper mixing decisions so that the mix translates every where else. I also love using these if I just want to sit down and enjoy some good albums. I'll often check out new albums with these because they're so detailed. I would highly recommend them for what you're wanting to spend.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

A review I wrote a year ago on the Superlux HD681F headphones:

https://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=23252
aj113

Post by aj113 »

I mix almost exclusively on AKG 701 cans. I check the mixes through HS 80s and there is sometimes a minor discrepancy in the 300Hz area but that is the only problem.