impulse response

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

hpharley90

impulse response

Post by hpharley90 »

Is it possible to use impulse responses in studio pro 8?

And if so how?

I just purchased the Suhr Reactive load impulse response and it can only do a 20.5ms length response.
If I want to use a longer response I need to do it in my DAW.
thanks
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
hpharley90

Re: impulse response

Post by hpharley90 »

No response for impulse responses?
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Not much depth to my experience, sorry. But I have some minimal exposure.
Two different applications. Specifically PRS guitar amp emulation from Waves, and an IR reverb.
(Speaker cabs In the former, spaces in the latter)
In both cases they appear to have a proprietary data folder in which you can store IR's that you can load from a menu option within the plug-in. And in both cases you can add more IR's from third party sources. They appear to recognize a specific file type.
Then there's the steps to record your own impulses, but I never got that deep into it. I suspected it was one of those ultra geek side-tracking time sucks....
Not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's your thing. I just have to be aware so as to avoid the result of getting NOTHING done on my intended goals.

*But... Having seen a clip where Sylvia Massey records within an empty abandoned nuclear cooling tower and captures an impulse, I can see where this could be quite interesting.
I have seen sources of responses from all sorts of spaces. From famous halls and theaters to all sort of odd locations.
Something cool happens in vertical shafts though..... 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

Mark Bliss wrote:Not much depth to my experience, sorry. But I have some minimal exposure.
Two different applications. Specifically PRS guitar amp emulation from Waves, and an IR reverb.
(Speaker cabs In the former, spaces in the latter)
In both cases they appear to have a proprietary data folder in which you can store IR's that you can load from a menu option within the plug-in. And in both cases you can add more IR's from third party sources. They appear to recognize a specific file type.
Then there's the steps to record your own impulses, but I never got that deep into it. I suspected it was one of those ultra geek side-tracking time sucks....
Not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's your thing. I just have to be aware so as to avoid the result of getting NOTHING done on my intended goals.

*But... Having seen a clip where Sylvia Massey records within an empty abandoned nuclear cooling tower and captures an impulse, I can see where this could be quite interesting.
I have seen sources of responses from all sorts of spaces. From famous halls and theaters to all sort of odd locations.
Something cool happens in vertical shafts though..... 8)
I want to try the longer 200ms and 500ms from Ownhammer. Or Celestion. Im not interested in making my own.

I want to use purchased ones in the DAW.
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Ok. I'm not sure I understand the question, but I think it relies on the specific plug-in application that incorporates or utilizes the IR's, regardless of the DAW.

I could be wrong, but I am not aware of any DAW that utilizes IR's in a native fashion. Perhaps one/some of the DAW's popular amongst the electronic artists? Dunno.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

yes that sounds correct. a plug in to be able to use ir's in any DAW. that's what im looking for. it doesn't seem like anyone here uses them
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
outteh

Post by outteh »

Is this kind of what your looking for?

https://lancasteraudio.com/pulse/

I have seen reverb VST’s with impulse response but not much else. :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah, Lancaster is a top source for IR's, but not knowing more about what you are looking to do kind of impedes giving any advise.
Reverb impulses are cool, but with a handful of quality verbs, going the impulse route just seems a bit "busy" for my needs.
The use of cabinet impulses in the previously mentioned PRS amp emulation however adds a lot of range to the product. Pretty cool stuff!
I might get deeper into that at some point. When I "grow up" or something. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Post by outteh »

Mark Bliss wrote:Yeah, Lancaster is a top source for IR's, but not knowing more about what you are looking to do kind of impedes giving any advise.
Reverb impulses are cool, but with a handful of quality verbs, going the impulse route just seems a bit "busy" for my needs.
The use of cabinet impulses in the previously mentioned PRS amp emulation however adds a lot of range to the product. Pretty cool stuff!
I might get deeper into that at some point. When I "grow up" or something. 8)
The impulse loader is free ( as are many other loaders ). Found some free guitar cabinet impulses, works pretty good, nice sounds! The Suhr Reactive Load is a hardware device. Not sure what needs to be done! :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah exactly. Never heard of it personally. But that means nothing. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I use them in MeldaProductions MConvolutionMB, but it is not free. Voxengo do a free cab simulator (that is excellent) which allows you to select Impulse Responses but I can't remember if you can load your own. Just do a google search for variations of 'hosts impulse responses' or some term that you can think might work.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6