Moving volume automation from audio track to it's own lane?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

FancyGoose

Moving volume automation from audio track to it's own lane?

Post by FancyGoose »

Hello,

I have a question. Is it possible to move the volume automation work you have done on an audio track to it's own lane, in order to replace the actual audio in the future while keeping the same automation points?

Scenario : video clip with people talking to the camera about what they do in their job. My goal is to mute the video at specific moments to make a little game in which future viewers will be asked to roughly guess what the person is saying, to test the extent of their understanding of the person's job.

So in Mixcraft, I have a video track with it's corresponding audio track, and another audio track with generic music playing in the background. With volume automation, the volume of the music is very low most of the time. When I am at an interesting moment in the video that I wish to mute the person (for 20-30 seconds, roughly), I delete the audio in the video track's audio, and raise the volume of the background music track to bring the music forward and keep everything lively and entertaining.

Now, problem is that i'd like to use a different song while preserving all my automation points to lower and raise the volume all along the video. As I have worked my automation directly in the audio track, I fear I will lose it all when deleting the track, including all my tedious automation work.

Any ideas on what could be done? Or how should I have approached this in the first place?

Thanks and have a great day everyone.

*EDIT : I think I instinctly used clip automation, rather than using a track automation lane (the /\/ symbol)... errrr...
FancyGoose

Hobbyist here using Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio with an Arturia Keylab 61 Essential MIDI controller and a Zoom Livetrak L-12 mixer (also the USB interface). I also enjoy EZ Drummer 2 and Amplitube 4.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Moving volume automation from audio track to it's own lane?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can copy and paste track automation.

With clip automation, not so much.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
FancyGoose

Post by FancyGoose »

Thanks Greg! Wish I knew that before beginning this whole project :) but i'll just consider it as a Mixcraft practice... and a lesson learned :)

Clip automation and track automation are TWO things, peep. :)

Have a great day!
FancyGoose

Hobbyist here using Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio with an Arturia Keylab 61 Essential MIDI controller and a Zoom Livetrak L-12 mixer (also the USB interface). I also enjoy EZ Drummer 2 and Amplitube 4.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Clip automation is processed before any effects on the tracks are processed, and track automation comes after any effects on the track.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Clip automation is processed before any effects on the tracks are processed, and track automation comes after any effects on the track.
Yes, think of clip automation as adjusting the gain pot at the top of a mixer channel.