Hopefully it's okay for me to post here (after 2 months)

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ian Craig

Hopefully it's okay for me to post here (after 2 months)

Post by Ian Craig »

Hello people,

I started a track a few days ago. I felt it was okay yesterday so as I rely on my friend in the U.S. to give me feedback he said he would check it properly "in the morning" as he only checked a few bits, but he thought it sounded thin. Anyway. I spent about 10 hours this morning reworking it a bit to sound less thin, then before I had it up on Youtube he commented that it only sounded thin because of his faulty internet connection. Typical.

Anyway. Yesterday's version is here https://lnkd.in/g3xqMvK

The less 'thin' much improved update is here https://lnkd.in/gJiNxvj

(Note the video is the same in both, only the music differs. Also, Epilepsy WARNING - contains flashing images)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
outteh

Re: Hopefully it's okay for me to post here (after 2 months)

Post by outteh »

Interesting, well put together! Not my cup of tea but I believe you achieved your goal! :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Its OK! :lol:

You'll probably be shocked to learn I listened to both versions. In entirety. :)

Interesting to compare. Its hard to judge. Thin? Against what reference?
IE: Listening to the first I thought, Thin? Maybe not, I dunno. "But I think I would have made that drum element more prominent" and "I would have emphasized the bass elements there more" and so forth.
Then in the second version you had, so.....

Its your art man, go for what you want. I think theres still some room for the bass elements, to fit in with whats typical for many people. But what does that mean?

fwiw, I found it to be quite psychedelic, and interestingly layered. Some hints of early Keith Emmerson, but I think that's just the use of emulations of the organ and synth instruments he used.
I dig it, and it sounds like a lot of work went into it.

But how dare you post the unfinished version. And two versions. Resource hog! :lol:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

FWIW: I listen to projects posted here (finished or not), and If you want, you can post here every day... I’ve read no rule stating otherwise.

Joe
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

outteh wrote:Interesting, well put together! Not my cup of tea but I believe you achieved your goal! :D

Thanks Tom
Mark Bliss wrote:You'll probably be shocked to learn I listened to both versions. In entirety. :)
Slightly shocked Mark, but thanks :D
Mark Bliss wrote:fwiw, I found it to be quite psychedelic, and interestingly layered. Some hints of early Keith Emerson, but I think that's just the use of emulations of the organ and synth instruments he used.
I dig it, and it sounds like a lot of work went into it.
Thanks muchly kind sir. Yes, I think my references are incorporated into my music as a lineage in the same way that rock derives from blues, psychedelia from Jazz and progressive rock from all three plus Classical. My soloing style is clearly derived from Keith Emerson and a large part of this track is soloing on the organ, synth and bass guitar parts, the Bass guitar part was naturally restrained due to it's dual function as both rhythmic and melodic emphasis/glue. I only started it on April 30th so it was a case of being motivated to look at it freshly each day with an open mind about what direction I could lead it in without wrecking it (of course, making the video using 2 layered visualisations took up a day) and only the unexplained abrupt email response of CJ (9 hour time difference) who is the one person who always responds to my posting on both Youtube and Bandcamp caused me to rethink it and make it heavy and add and remove key changes during the final 10 hour morning I spent on it. I'm stubborn, but hard working :D
Mark Bliss wrote:But how dare you post the unfinished version. And two versions. Resource hog! :lol:

I know, sorry. :cry: :lol: :D
jlouvar wrote:FWIW: I listen to projects posted here (finished or not), and If you want, you can post here every day... I’ve read no rule stating otherwise.
Joe

Thanks Mr. Acoustica :D :lol: (Thanks Joe :D )
Windows 10 Professional
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Man this is awesome, or as you would say, class! It’s nice to hear reverb done properly too. :wink:

We look forward to your next posting in 2 months! J/k :D

Seriously, great job.

-N
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

:lol: Thanks Nathan, I appreciate your comments. Also, it was your thing using Swatches that got me to try using it with some of my other stuff, this being the result, so I'm glad you approve. Thanks a lot :D

Oh yes Tom, credit also goes to your soloing on Hideaway entering into my approach on this track, so thanks for that
Last edited by Ian Craig on Sat May 04, 2019 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 Professional
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Ian Craig wrote::lol: Thanks Nathan, I appreciate your comments. Also, it was your thing using Swatches that got me to try using it with some of my other stuff, this being the result, so I'm glad you approve. Thanks a lot :D
I approve a lot! really pro sounding. It should be in a movie or something.

-N