What are your top 3 feature requests for Mixcraft 9?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Frantiac

Re: What are your top 3 feature requests for Mixcraft 9?

Post by Frantiac »

It's been talked about in other posts but I'd like to see the strange 6 dB volume jump when using mono plugins sorted out.
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO --> Intel i3-9100, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio
mick

Post by mick »

A cop car parked outside with the blue light flashing to the beat. Alternatively, a tempo light for visual assistance.
botface

Post by botface »

I only really have 2 :
1. Bring the score editor up to scratch or add MusicXML import
I'm a lousy keyboard player but I can write standard notation. MC's own offering is inadequate. The standard
workaround is to write in a score editor, export to MIDI then import the MIDI into MC. This has many
shortcomings too and you end up spending a lot of time tidying up.
2. Give MC proper audio editing facilities
I know you can link to an external editor but it would be so much easier to be able to do this without leaving
MC. As a minimum I'd like to be able to zoom in to a much more detailed level to do micro-edits and I'd like
more screen real estate available for this. Maybe a separate screen for audio editing or making it available via
the Sound Tab might work
MATTOROURKE

Post by MATTOROURKE »

1. The ability to edit/warp multiple audio tracks at once as a group.
2. Being able to nudge transient to nearest grid also done as a group.
3. The ablitly to apply one crossfade and have that effect the selected grouped tracks.
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Edit multiple midi/vi tracks in the same window.

ITs cumbersome at the moment to examine one track, say a bass drum, then close that to open up another track, say the bass, to then go "Hmm, I think this note/s should now go there - but im not sure". I want to be able to see both, overlayed in the same window so I can contrast and compare quickly. At the moment the inability to do this slows down creativity and workflow + its a feature thats been available in other DAWS for years - I had it on CUBASE 4 on my Atari!

What about CTRL + click the tracks you want to compare - or rubber band them with the mouse - whatever method to get the 2, 3 tracks in the same window to edit.
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

to save project/sound/mixer/library window size and position when closing mixcraft.
have BPM work when I change drum beats.
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
shakin_fingers

Post by shakin_fingers »

I may be unusual in what I laughingly call my "process", but one thing I'd find really useful is the ability to add a text note to any track that needs it so that I can record information about exactly what the setup was when a piece of audio was recorded. I have a tendency to come back to a project months after the initial recording and I just see "Guitar", which doesn't help much, or if I was being really diligent, mayber something like "Tele Neck", which helps, but doesn't tell me if there was anything else in the signal chain prior to it reaching the PC, amp settings, pedals & whatnot.

Apart from that, happy to see any improvements that work for more heavy-duty users!

--Mike
Mike
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

mixyguy2 wrote:I knew you'd have to give up on that mega-thread sooner or later :wink: And could hardly blame you. I hope this provides you a much more concise, workable package of ideas.

Mine (can I change later?)
Hope so because I am. :)

1 - (same from before): When in "musical typing" mode (yes I use that a lot! It's not just handy but necessary when on travel), disable the R button starting a recording. I can't tell you how many times this has happened when I don't want it to and there's no point to/need for it when in that mode. And oddly, it isn't always there, only when I have certain "root" notes (how that 1 octave is positioned).

2 - (same from before): More options to change default settings, for ex. the master volume or what song auto-loads when I start MC.

3 - (new): Give me the option so I can stop the thing where the play bar (vertical yellow line) keeps going even after the music has stopped. This drives me insane.

Hon. mention: this was brought up by someone else months ago and not a top interest, but after disagreeing initially I've warmed up to it to the point where it merits a mention: make it so the graphics are scalable, i.e. if you go to a bigger/higher-res stetting, no sharpless or visual quality is lost. I think this means easing away from the gradiant coloring etc to a more streamlined scheme. More visual or "skin" options might help ease that transition.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

From the first day I used Mixcraft, the movable transport bar is #1.

Second, collapsible lanes! Oh man, do my Mixcraft projects ever suffer from loss of screen real estate and having to scroll endlessly once I get a few takes going. There's no need to have every single take on the screen at one time.

Third, apply more actions to clip grouping than just moving. Splitting, slip editing, stretching, all of that should apply to grouped clips. Use case #1 is drum recordings where you will have 4 or more tracks that all need the same simultaneous edits.
-Erik
MiltonRob

Post by MiltonRob »

Actually there's a fourth I really wanted and probably should have snuck in so here I am. Collaborative features. Avid has their cloud service where you can store a session and allow multiple people to add/edit it. Personally it would be helpful in my situation for the guys I play with to be able to add their parts remotely, but it could help build the Mixcraft community as well by making it easier to collaborate with other musicians, engineers and producers.... And it could help provide another revenue stream for Acoustica ;-)

R
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

1. channel strip stuff eg. trim, compressor, HPF/LPF
2. some great skins (I know this makes me sound lightweight, but GUI design is a biggie and always will be for the enjoyment & willingness to put in the long hrs), and also many areas have a different look/feel or are more outdated than others..eg. the virtual instrument settings)
3. more work on lanes & clips to make comping easier (plenty of examples here in other DAWs)
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

• As a regular user of this great platform I would like to have a view of the plugins on the right side of the screen, with a browser similar to Studio One, with the image of each synthesizer or effect rack that I use. The current vst section interface is rudimentary.

• Incorporate a chord composition tool similar to the one used by the Ana 2.0 synthesizer into the sequencer, incredibly flexible and intuitive.

• Improve the performance and the quality of the final sound and of the CPU and the system in complex projects, currently Mixcraft leaves the system without air with few tracks and effects.

Thanks Greg :)
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

• MPE Support - Including handling multimidi channels/block editing of those channels.

Better Midi Plugin Support - Some plugins that modify or generate midi on an instrument simply either don't work at all or are buggy (Look up Cthulhu for an example of this, which works well in nearly every other DAW I have tried)

A Simplify The Interface Option - See Logic Pro X, you can remove all the "expert" features of the interface for new users. Also creates an extensive hover-over a GUI item with mouse popup with one or two paragraph quick explanation. Again, Logic Pro X has almost removed the need for a manual with this tacit its that good!

Cheers Greg!
mered67

Post by mered67 »

I'm a relatively new Mixcraft user, and while I'm very happy with the software overall, there are definitely a few additions I'd love to see.

1. Previewing of MIDI loops, and generally making MIDI a first class citizen in the library. This one is huge for me. I use MIDI loops much more than audio loops because of the ease with which they can be edited and transformed, and I'd really like to be able to select a MIDI loop in the library and hear it played back, either by sending it through the VSTi on the currently selected track (the way REAPER does it), or perhaps straight to some always available soundfont.

2. I realise this isn't Mixcraft or Acoustica per se, but is there anything you can do about the tiny UIs on some of the bundled plugins? Things like the Memory Moon synths still sound great, and maybe I'm just getting old, but man they're hard on the eyes on modern monitors! Much too small to spend any real time working with, so they're very much "presets only" for me, which is unfortunate.

3. Seconding the previous calls for collapsible lanes and per track text notes. The latter in particular would be incredibly useful. I often make notes in a physical notebook about what I was trying to achieve, why the settings are the way they are, and so on, but it would be fantastic to be able to store that info inside the project.

One tiny thing to finish :D. Any chance of a way to rename VSTs inside Mixcraft? Right now I have lots of instruments and effects showing up with names like, "name_of_plugin_x64_2.14b", and it's just a bit ugly to look at.

Thanks for your work on Mixcraft! I really enjoy using it, and I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

mered67 wrote:One tiny thing to finish :D. Any chance of a way to rename VSTs inside Mixcraft? Right now I have lots of instruments and effects showing up with names like, "name_of_plugin_x64_2.14b", and it's just a bit ugly to look at.
Why not just rename the DLL file itself? I've done this numerous times as I also often can't stand the "ugly" names.