Upgrading to Windows 10

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

vicarito

Upgrading to Windows 10

Post by vicarito »

I currently have windows 7 pro and I want to upgrade to Windows 10.
I use EZDRUMMER and garritan Jazz.
If somebody has done this I would really appreciate if you can tell me if there are any problems of any kind with your files or software after you install Windows 10.
Thank you very much.

vicarito
jlouvar

Re: Upgrading to Windows 10

Post by jlouvar »

I don’t know if the transition from Windows 7 to 10 will affect older files, and I don’t have garritan Jazz, but I have Windows 10 and EZDummer2 and haven’t experienced file problems.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Upgraded from 7 to 10 when it first became available a couple of years back. No problems whatsoever.
I have EZDrummer (first version) and also had an early version of Garritan Orchestra which integrated fine.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
vicarito

Post by vicarito »

Thank you very much for your responses

vicarito
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, you should be fine. Once you do it, check to see if you have the latest audio drivers for your sound device.

When I first updated to Windows 10, I had an audio interface* that wouldn't work with anything but a sample rate of 44100 Hz, but all I had to do was update its audio driver from the manufacturer's web page to fix the problem.

Greg

*Line6 UX2
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Also, set your preferences accordingly and make sure you have your updates scheduled for down times. Though I heard the next update will allow you to manually update when you please.

M
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

"Upgrading" from 7 to 10 is like upgrading from steak to hamburger IMO. I've had numerous problems with 10 (none music-related.....yet) and see absolutely zero advantage over 7. That combined with the forced updates, covertly (and totally unwanted) things running in the background, ridiculous snoopy invasiveness...I could go on but I will never get why anyone would opt for 10 other than "because it's new and everyone else is." Which is far from a valid reason for me. To each their own though.
mick

Post by mick »

I "downgraded" to win 10 a couple of days ago and its a nightmare!!!
Everything I click on wants a password / sign-in / create account ..... WT?
The email program has gone erratic since an update but worked at first but is now "incompatible" a different email program wants my dob - for what reason is my dob any use? I put in a false one anyway. So far its all doom and gloom behind the glossy facia so I need to decide whether to perceivere a bit more or upgrade to win 7. I'm going to have another couple of hours to try and resolve what worked in Win 7 but not holding my breath for any results. :evil: :roll: :roll: :roll:
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Your Honor, Exhibit A. (actually we're well past enough examples to use all the letters of the alphabet...).
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

mixyguy2 wrote:Your Honor, Exhibit A. (actually we're well past enough examples to use all the letters of the alphabet...).

Including the sharps and flats. :lol:
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
comedians

Post by comedians »

As a former devotee of Windows 7 I have to disagree with the statements made here about Windows 10. I have updated some 30 PC's to 10 from 7 and had not a single problem.
At home I have 5 on Win 10, 1 on XP & 1 on Win 7, the latter two are now rarely touched as Windows 10 has much better disk & memory management, are far more stable because of better drivers, boot & close faster and in my mind much easier to use.
As regards updates I have one machine still running build 1607, never switched off in two years since it was upgraded. It still receives security & driver patches which I have set to receive, but never any feature updates.
My editing PC, used only for Video & Audio always runs the latest Windows 10 version (my choice, not Microsofts') is flawless on both Mixcraft & Edius.
I would not hesitate to advise anyone to upgrade.

Oh, I forgot the real reason - never use Windows Home always Pro edition then you are in control.
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I upgraded to a new computer for recording, and had Windows 10 installed. I only had it on line when loading Mixcraft and drivers for my audio interface. It is not the Win10pro.
I followed the instructions for optimizing the pc for Mixcraft and have not had any problems. I keep it off the internet, except for Mixcraft and drivers updates. I have loaded plugins with thumb drives without problems.

- Myran
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

The only issue I've encountered is the one I mentioned above, the update info will download and run in the background hogging cpu at times. Otherwise W10 has been good to me.

M
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

There are also Core Audio (WaveRT) enhancements in Windows 10.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mick

Post by mick »

Update on my nightmare experience with Win 10.
I had problems with the email program crashing, re-installed twice to no avail so changed that to a different one.
Sibelius crashes on startup, re-installed that a couple of times also and so far needs to be opened as administrator, couldn't find where the VST or vst's are, looked it up on google to find them in "common files" various other bits and bobs and programs scattered all over the place, drive letters changed so E: is now D: or something etc. Tidied and gradually sorted things up and find win 10 starts and shut down quicker, and operates slicker in general. Slowly getting there but I'm using the free version so reading comedians post I think I will jump to the pro version. Can't see any further problems beyond the ones mentioned. 8)