Best method for CONSISTENT chorus timings?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

isuperduper

Best method for CONSISTENT chorus timings?

Post by isuperduper »

Hello, I would like to know a trick where the timing of a chorus is on point 100% every time. The way I do it now is mixing down the entire chorus into one file and then using my best judgement to match it with the beat. I can pretty much match to where it sounds good and not noticeable, but the thought of it being a few milliseconds off because of doing it by hand bothers me.

What is a good way to make the chorus hit right every time?

Thank you!
jlouvar

Re: Best method for CONSISTENT chorus timings?

Post by jlouvar »

isuperduper wrote:Hello, I would like to know a trick where the timing of a chorus is on point 100% every time. The way I do it now is mixing down the entire chorus into one file and then using my best judgement to match it with the beat. I can pretty much match to where it sounds good and not noticeable, but the thought of it being a few milliseconds off because of doing it by hand bothers me.

Thank you!
Instead of using a chorus plugin, do it manually with two tracks... But if you mean a chorus apose to say a verse, sing and or play it in perfect time wth the metronome when you record it.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Couldn't you just quantize or autowarp? But if you're talking about the chorus effect, automate.

M
isuperduper

Post by isuperduper »

jlouvar wrote:
isuperduper wrote:Hello, I would like to know a trick where the timing of a chorus is on point 100% every time. The way I do it now is mixing down the entire chorus into one file and then using my best judgement to match it with the beat. I can pretty much match to where it sounds good and not noticeable, but the thought of it being a few milliseconds off because of doing it by hand bothers me.

Thank you!
Instead of using a chorus plugin, do it manually with two tracks... But if you mean a chorus apose to say a verse, sing and or play it in perfect time wth the metronome when you record it.
Sorry, I should’ve been more clear, but I am referring to the hook vocals of a song. I’d like to know how can I make it so the timing of the hook is perfect and always on beat when it comes back in the song the second or third time.

Is there a way in mixcraft to make the timing perfect or do I always have to use my best judgement and have snap turned off and do it by hand? Because even though the average listener may not notice it I just don’t like the idea of having to bring in the hook the second or third time where it might be a few milliseconds off.
isuperduper

Post by isuperduper »

Rolling Estonian wrote:Couldn't you just quantize or autowarp? But if you're talking about the chorus effect, automate.

M
I should’ve mentioned that I’m not talking about a chorus plugin, but instead I’d like the chorus vocals as a whole to hit on beat every time it comes back in the song. Currently I adjust the vocals by hand when the chorus comes in the second or third time. I don’t want the second or third time being off by a few milliseconds.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

isuperduper wrote:
Rolling Estonian wrote:Couldn't you just quantize or autowarp? But if you're talking about the chorus effect, automate.

M
I should’ve mentioned that I’m not talking about a chorus plugin, but instead I’d like the chorus vocals as a whole to hit on beat every time it comes back in the song. Currently I adjust the vocals by hand when the chorus comes in the second or third time. I don’t want the second or third time being off by a few milliseconds.
Why can't you snap to grid or snap to bar?
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

isuper, are you recording to a click track (metronome) in the first place? It sounds like what you're trying to do is to rework the (lack of) rhythm of a track which is already recorded, and/or you are not duplicating or looping the chorus. Is my understanding correct? It might be helpful to know how you record or what you're working on. Thanks
isuperduper

Post by isuperduper »

freightgod wrote:isuper, are you recording to a click track (metronome) in the first place? It sounds like what you're trying to do is to rework the (lack of) rhythm of a track which is already recorded, and/or you are not duplicating or looping the chorus. Is my understanding correct? It might be helpful to know how you record or what you're working on. Thanks
Wow this comment opened up my eyes....I'm so embarrassed lol. My mistake was never matching my beat to the BPM/Tempo. I can now just easily snap it. Before, I would have the default BPM on and snap off and try my best to match my already recorded vocals to the hook by using my best judgement and doing it freely by hand moving it little by little.

Oh well, we all learn. Thank you guys for the help! :)