Thats it i am done, I am sorry, its been a good run folks.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

iareparadox

Thats it i am done, I am sorry, its been a good run folks.

Post by iareparadox »

I used Mixcraft Pro studio for around 10 or so years and it was wonderful BUT now that i am recording real acoustic drums it has problems keeping up when the project gets a lot of tracks and effects.. also when i bought ozone8 , Izotopes rx and other newer vst plugins it simply CANNOT HANDLE IT.. and no i tried this on many computers and my main studio computer can handle anything i throw at it. I load up Studio One or Cubase and it works just fine. Don't get me wrong i love Mixcraft but its time for me to move on. Mixcraft latest update on pro studio 8 was the last straw for me, still did not fix issues thats been recurring for awhile now.. it always crashing when mixing down the files... every single F#%@ing time i go to mix down it crashed and its even worse with random crashes and not being able to keep up and muting effects now that i have added my plugins from Superior Drummer 3, Ozone Advanced 8, Rx, Nectar, Vocal Synth 2 it crashed almost always or mutes effects that i worked hours on and then mixing it down.. again it will crash and i have to restart the program and then if im lucky it will mix down BUT it will have clicks and pops randomly or it will mute hi hat hits or just won't have any thing at all playing when i mix it down to an mp3 or wav file.. AGAIN like i said.. my computers are not the issue... it handles everything fine in Studio One or Cubase.. and i am very irritated because i stood by Acoustica's side with Mixcraft for years and i have to invest time and money into Cubase ( thats what i chose to go with after trying Protools, Studio One and Cubase ) ALSO what is annoying is that i don't know any other program as fluid and as well and easy as mixcraft.. 10 years of using it and i have to switch to another DAW because once you use professional plugins, recording methods with huge mulitracks and massive mix and mastering tweaks and setting.. it will not handle. SO... yes if your starting out or just recording simple stuff mixcraft is amazing for the price BUT once you get into the professional realm it will leave you down.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Thats it i am done, I am sorry, its been a good run folks.

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you like, we can check out your mixcraft-log.txt file to try and see what's going on.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Hmm, MX8P does everything I need (including recording multiple tracks simultaneously), but if it didn’t I’d most likely get an iMac and run Logic instead of Cubase, but whatever floats your boat. Anyway, good bye, good luck and best wishes.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
aj113

Post by aj113 »

iareparadox wrote:I used Mixcraft Pro studio for around 10 or so years and it was wonderful BUT now that i am recording real acoustic drums it has problems keeping up when the project gets a lot of tracks and effects...
I have projects with over 100 tracks and 300 plugins, and they all include acoustic drums. MC runs fine - but it didn't used to run fine.

Do you know about the 64 bit MC issue? If you use 64 bit MC with 32 bit plugins it runs fine - in theory - because MC has a built-in 32-bit wrapper, which makes the process seamless. The problem is that these wrappers take up a chunk of resource, and it doesn't take too many of them to make MC 64 bit unstable.

My solution - use 32 bit MC. If you haven't already, why not give it a try? Just download and install MC 32 bit and open one of your large projects - no other change is needed.

EDIT: Sorry there is one other thing you need to do. If you are using any 64-bit plugins you need to download and install the 32-bit version of them.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Yeah not sure what "a lot" of tracks means, I don't have hundreds etc, but I've used the programs he mentions and many more "professional" level plugins, no issues to date. And I am using 64-bit with both 64 and 32 plugins. And on a low-end PC yet. I can appreciate how frustrating that could be though.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Just FYI, I record large acoustic drum kits regularly without issue. The issues you are describing are likely not a Mixcraft issue but probably the computer cpu and audio device having trouble keeping up with so much going on at once.

As an example, I also regularly test each new build in many ways, including recording 22 tracks at once for up to 4 hours at a time. No issues.
My pc
4Ghz 8 Core AMD FX 8350
16GB Ram
Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2 interface
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Last edited by bigaquarium on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's more complicated than just RAM. There is CPU load, hard drive speed, sound device processing, graphics processing, and so on.

Each plugin is a software program with its own CPU load. That's why freezing tracks often helps. Some plugins are real CPU hogs.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Some plugins are real CPU hogs.
It would appear some are also just poorly coded. And in my observation, it also seems quite likely some DAW's handle sketchy plug-ins better than others.

I largely ignored this thread because I felt it was clear the OP had no interest in a solution, and just wanted to vent. And thats OK. If someone finds something else suits them better no one should discourage them from that path IMO.

But some of those concerns, as well as some mentioned by others here are of interest to many users, if it can take a turn toward the constructive.

Full disclosure- because I often collaborate with others, and sometimes because I explore the features of other DAW's, I have used and currently have installed other options. I have yet to find one that would make me jump to it as a preferred option. For my personal needs, I still prefer Mixcraft for its basic simplicity and workflow!
But I have had the opportunity to compare features and performance, even sometimes with the exact same tracks and plug-ins.

I would freely admit it is undeniable that there are some unaddressed "quirks" and bugs that do not happen in others, and need to be discussed and diagnosed. It is my hope we can help with that going forward.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Last edited by bigaquarium on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What do you mean when you say that RAM is slamming through the ceiling, exactly?

My point is that people with plenty of available RAM sometimes still have audio performance issues due to the other factors I've mentioned.

Greg
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Most of my performance issues are due too user errors (boo boos), lol. :lol: :wink:
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
kentb3050@gmail.com

Post by kentb3050@gmail.com »

Useally caused by slow HDD, rewcommend externel hi speed drives now adays.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

For me, MC works very stable overall. But I don't want to record 100 tracks in parallel either. I work more with midi instruments and max 25 tracks in the playback. Yes, sometimes there's a problem with a specific vst, but the acoustica guys fix most of that.

But I'm also caught between two chairs. I also bought Reaper because the midi routing works without any problems. In Mixcraft I still can't use my instrument presets with midi routing in the preset effects. In addition, the MIDI module controllers have been permanently lost for years. Maybe the focus of the developers is always in the audio area.

I hate Reaper, it looks like 90's shareware with a million context menus without icons and it's slower than mixcraft on my computer
But it works when creating sophisticated midi presets.

I'll wait for mixcraft 10 and see if the midi routing works or if there are at least approaches that will be expanded a bit here.In my case I need some kind of confirmation that something is going to change here. If not, then unfortunately I have to switch to one of the horrible alternatives with a workflow from hell. I really don't want to.