Mixcraft Freezes Upon Opening Project File

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

alexwsievert

Mixcraft Freezes Upon Opening Project File

Post by alexwsievert »

Hi,

I am using Mixcraft 8.1 Pro Studio and have consistently been running into an issue - I'll go to open a file, it will load it and get to 100%, then return to 0% and freeze. I am unable to open the project file. I often work around this by opening a backup file, but sometimes I have to go way back to re-access my file and lose a lot of my work.

I have no idea if this is due to Mixcraft, my computer, or some issues with third-party software like VSTs. I'm just hoping to find some help here.
Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft Freezes Upon Opening Project File

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hey, hello and welcome.
I can only venture a guess. And that would be that it is related to a plug-in or possibly how that plug-in is handled.
The best course of action for diagnosing this type of issue usually is to use the support tab at the top of this page, and follow the instructions for sharing a log file with the support staff.
They will assess and advise.

But I am curious.... 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
tatanka

Post by tatanka »

After reading this I cant help but copy my leaving message from today. All said and done after two weeks investigating hours and hours and hours of sending projects, logfiles, screens.....

No complaining on the support people, maybe this could happen with other daw (so I never had something like this in decades with Tracktion 2 to Waveform 8, Mulab 6 to Mulab 8, Studio one 2 to 4, Cakewalk, Cubase.....).

Its just a pity, but shit happens it seems.
Hi Greg,

I cant say I am happy with this workaround really but it seem to work so far, and for sketching.....

I load a project that I am sure will open (I now have one template for my PC and one for the notebook), then when this is loaded I will open my regular project that wont open in any other way. It is time intensive cause loading takes up to ten minutes but....

Of course this is NO way any professional DAW should behave and as main DAW MC 8 PRO definitely failed the test, for this I will switch to Studio One Pro 4 and look for a way to have my midi VST and VST Instruments on one channel cause needing for channel routing is the main minus for my desired workflow on S1.

It is a pity cause in all other parts MC 8 PRO has all the main functions I need (the way it uses midi VST is not as good as in Mulab or Waveform cause for example the second VST wont take the midi out from the first VST, it is more "parallel" when the first one is not a midi-only VST like lot of the kontakt libs having a midi out that could not be used by the secont VST) and it is simple to use and you could find the most needed things (at least for my workflow) just by trying out or looking on the forum. And the included Instruments and Effects are not that bad (even if I dont think I will use any of it really, but they are there and for use on notebook on the road for example you have evrything you really need for sketching). So apart from the saving problem: not top-notch but just will do, the workhorse needed.

But after delivering all that information, projects, logfiles, if that could not help you to find such a bug in saving/opening projects.....

Sorry, failed in one of the basic functions.

As I said before: if its ONE hardware environment I would take the blame on my special circumstances but not on two totally different systems and yes, they are kind of old and outdated but your minimum system requirements are not that high so that should do (and it DOES by using this workaround so its definitely a real BAD BUG that should really not happen in a final version which will not be updated anymore. There is a kvr forum thread active now searching for a simple sketching DAW and I have thought about it, but not this way, really no recommendation).

If you dont find anything with the infos delivered so far I thing you can close this as I will close another hope on an easy to use WORKING daw for sketching.

Kind regards,

Richard
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Last edited by bigaquarium on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Leaving?
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
tatanka

Post by tatanka »

Bigaquarium: Yes, it was all "behind" the szene with support, usually I dont post such thinks in forums (dont think it belongs there).

But it was just coincidence that after writing this final email to Greg that it just dont make no sense for me investigating so much time and no solution (not even suggestions) and the clear saying that even IF there wont be no update until MC 9, DAW without being able to just save and open projects (on two different systems, PC with win 7 64 bit, Notebook with win 10 64 bit), sorry, dont make no sense (at least for me).

Then I was looking into the forum and just was stumbling over this new post which describes nearly the same problems. So I just felt to put the content of my email into hear cause its easier then to write anything new again or copy the content of dozens of emails with all the logfiles and projects I sent, I really tried anything, I am SURE now that it has nothing to do with a special plugin, I even let all the 32 bit out (even if that was a reason to try MC 8 to be able to use my old HG stuff again).

jlouvar: yes, it means leaving. As I told, without being able to save and reopen projects....and as I wrote in the email: it is sad and a pity but just makes no sense.
comedians

Post by comedians »

I find it rather self centred not to post an issue such as this on a forum for the benefit of other users who might have, or in the future have the same issue.
Happened to me once but that was down to a bad plugin as Mark suggested.

The question I suppose, is there a bug in the software? If so why does Mixcraft not seem stable on this one system when it is on the majority of PC's. As a software developer I hear it so often - the programme is faulty. Rarely is of course, there is almost always another explanation.
tatanka

Post by tatanka »

If so why does Mixcraft not seem stable on this one system when it is on the majority of PC's
I find it rather self centred not to post an issue such as this on a forum for the benefit of other users who might have
First: TWO systems at least as I wrote in my post, completely independent, one Notebook with win 10 64 bit, one PC with win 7 64 bit (and lots of other DAW on it not having any issues at all in this direction), as described in my post: I have searched for issues, unstable plugins for two weeks now with sending logfiles and logfiles and projects and leaving out 32 bit vst totally, trying with Kontakt 6 then Kontakt 5 and and and...
Second: for me that statement is kind of contrary to the other one. I FIRST try to clear the thing with the develloper, if there is a solution of course I will post it in the forum.

I must admit that this behaviour of posting this final email in hear is kind of emotional and you can of course blame me for this. But that was just kind of doing what you stated not to be self centered and posting my experience with (for me) exactly that problem.

I have not found anything in the forum about this before so yes, maybe you will be right and 99 % of the users will not have this problem. So I dont blame nobody just saying: not possible for me to work with this daw on my two different sytems, same but on both, so just not useable.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

jlouvar wrote:
The question I suppose, is there a bug in the software? If so why does Mixcraft not seem stable on this one system when it is on the majority of PC's. As a software developer I hear it so often - the programme is faulty. Rarely is of course, there is almost always another explanation.
Exactly.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The devil is always in the details. If there is a bug, we'd like to fix it, but we need to know exactly what's going on before we can do that. In the support emails, I've asked whether the problem opening the Kontakt project ever occurs without the numerous other third-party plugins in the project, and I don't think I ever got an answer?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Take a look at the .wav file sizes in the project that "loads" then freezes. I experienced a similar issue when a wav file within my project jump up to 3.9 g for no discovered reason. https://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewto ... 55#p116755
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
tatanka

Post by tatanka »

Hi Mark,

thanks for the hint but I have only midi tracks so far in my project. I have even tried changing the audio drivers even if it does not really makes sense cause the two different systems I use have completely different sound systems (an old soundblaster card on the pc and just the chip sound on the notebook) but that dont change nothing which driver I use.

Any hints and ideas really welcome.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Tatanka, can you post the project giving the issue? Maybe some of us can download it and play around? :D
tatanka

Post by tatanka »

Hi Tom,

I see that it really was not a good idea to just copy that mail in here without some more infos, again: sorry for that.

The problem is that it is no specific project. It is just as follows (and please bear in mind: absolutely similiar on two complete different hardware/operating system systems) and exactly like described from alexwsievert who opened this thread:

I start working on a mixcraft project, added some tracks (in my case only midi), added some plugs, evrything is fine, save the project, go to bed, want to reopen the other day:

- freezes, just wont open

It could be enough to just save the project I open under a new name without doing ANYTHING, still the same, wont open again.

After really trying out evrything and going back in backup history (like alexwsievert describes) till at least some project will open I find myself a kind of "workaround" that is not really one but better then nothing:

- I saved one state with the basic plugs needed and no midi data in it as a template
- this one gladly could be opened on both systems any time
- why I dont think it has anything to do with a "bad plug": all the possible candidates for this are already in this template and they will open fine in there
- then, if this one is loaded, I have to keep MC open and can then open the last project state that wont open when try to open it directly even if it could take long time (up to ten minutes) to load
- I know it sounds crazy, but thats how it is (on two completely different sytems, take the one from alex and you have three at least)

So there is no specific project that I could share, maybe thats one of the main problems for Greg to find the bug but there are some specifics you can see in the task manager/mx loading bar when a project wont open and freezes and when it will took time but will open.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

And I can open the project he sent me with no problems, but it's got a bunch of third-party plugins in it that I don't have.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101