Yamaha S90 VST?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kr236rk

Yamaha S90 VST?

Post by kr236rk »

Hi,

Trying to load a Yamaha S90 as a vst to MC8.

Full title is S90 XS/S70 EditorStandalone / VST V1.6.8 for Windows.

All I get when I load it as a midi vst to my midi keyboard is a metronome - this vst triggers the MC metronome.

Any ideas how to get the vst running properly please - anyone else use it? I wondered if it contained a mellotron effect?

Ric
Attachments
Yam S90.jpg
Yam S90.jpg (226.74 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rickemper
Acoustica Greg

Re: Yamaha S90 VST?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The setting in your screenshot is for sending MIDI out to an external MIDI device.

Did you install the S90 Editor software? If so, did you look for it among the VSTi Instruments?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

The setting in your screenshot is for sending MIDI out to an external MIDI device.

Did you install the S90 Editor software? If so, did you look for it among the VSTi Instruments?

Greg
Thanks. Loaded this to vst folders as a 'wild card' to see what would happen. MC8 shows it in the vst library but doesn't load it as a synth option - tried everything. Is it possible I haven't got this S90 program configured properly please?

As you can see something is being recorded but you cannot hear it being played or listen to what was recorded on play-back.
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are we talking about the S90 Editor software?

What do you mean when you say you loaded this to VST folders as a wildcard?

Does the VST have an installer (.exe) file? If so, did you run it? If it's the S90 Editor VST think it's a VST3 file, so it would go to the VST3 folder.

All 64-bit VST3 plugins would be installed in here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Greg
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Acoustica Greg wrote:...did you look for it among the VSTi Instruments? Greg
You're right, it turns up under VSTi, but I still get the same result, I can load & play it by way of my midi keyboard, but hear nothing - & what is recorded on the blue field cannot be played back - you just get silence ... & the metronome.
Ric

kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Are we talking about the S90 Editor software?
Yes.
What do you mean when you say you loaded this to VST folders as a wildcard?
I mean I wasn't sure what the program would do, it came up under a google-search for 'mellotron'.
Ric

squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but are you outputting the S90 to speakers? There’s no “sound” within the VST editor. If you’re seeing midi data recorded, it sounds like an output issue. The Editor just allows the S90 to “appear” to function like a VST as all sound and effects will be handled externally by the keyboard. It requires the keyboard sound to be output to speakers via the output jacks or USB (if USB audio output is an option on the S90).

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

squeakie wrote:Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but are you outputting the S90 to speakers? There’s no “sound” within the VST editor. If you’re seeing midi data recorded, it sounds like an output issue. The Editor just allows the S90 to “appear” to function like a VST as all sound and effects will be handled externally by the keyboard. It requires the keyboard sound to be output to speakers via the output jacks or USB (if USB audio output is an option on the S90).
Thanks, speakers were on, using M-Audio as soundcard.

Think something's wrong with the S90 set-up because as soon as I load it the MC8 metronome starts up, I never use a metronome.
Ric

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

The point was that the audio output should be from the synth/keyboard, not the DAW for this config.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Mark Bliss wrote:The point was that the audio output should be from the synth/keyboard, not the DAW for this config.

How do you check for this, diagnostics? I don't usually have a problem with the midi keyboard not responding sonically in MC8, using virtual tracks. What would I be doing wrong & how would I correct the error please?

The virtual track is recording something, I can neither hear what is being recorded (midi) as I play it, nor play it back as a recording afterwards; but something is going down - I can see it on the blue virtual track as a graphic line.

Thank you.
Ric

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Using the keyboard as a MIDI controller you are sending MIDI to the DAW and its VSTi, and the DAW is sending AUDIO data to the soundcard.

I believe the point was that the program you are trying to use is intended to send MIDI from the computer to the keyboard, and AUDIO would need to be routed from the KEYBOARD to the soundcard, or directly from the keyboard to speakers. Etc.

MIDI data is not AUDIO data. It is a set of instructions. You cannot transmit AUDIO data via MIDI connections.
So what you are trying to do would require MIDI to keyboard, AUDIO from keyboard.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Mark Bliss wrote:Using the keyboard as a MIDI controller you are sending MIDI to the DAW and its VSTi, and the DAW is sending AUDIO data to the soundcard.

I believe the point was that the program you are trying to use is intended to send MIDI from the computer to the keyboard, and AUDIO would need to be routed from the KEYBOARD to the soundcard, or directly from the keyboard to speakers. Etc.

MIDI data is not AUDIO data. It is a set of instructions. You cannot transmit AUDIO data via MIDI connections.
So what you are trying to do would require MIDI to keyboard, AUDIO from keyboard.
Midi is data not sound, correct; Mixcraft can turn that data into electronic sound. As you can see by the screenshot I was using the Q25 midi keyboard. So it looks as if the S90 is incompatible for my set-up, as it currently stands? I certainly don't want to reconfigure Mixcraft because it works for everything else I use, including the midi keyboard + EWI for example, apart from using this particular VSTi.

No problem.
Ric

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The S90 VST editor is designed to work with an S90 keyboard, if you don't have one of those, then there's no reason to install that plugin.

Greg
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

The S90 VST editor is designed to work with an S90 keyboard, if you don't have one of those, then there's no reason to install that plugin.

Greg
Cool, thanks ;)
Ric

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yes, I missed that you didn't even have the keyboard the software goes with. Sorrybouthat chief!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page