MIDI Controller Keyboard Survey

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

MIDI Controller Keyboard Survey

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi all,

Using a MIDI Controller Keyboard? Which one do you have? How do you like it?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Rolling Estonian

Re: MIDI Controller Keyboard Survey

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Korg Microkey 37, as simple as it gets, perfect for a non key playing guitarist!

M
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

I've got a 61-key M-Audio that I picked up used.
There's nothing wrong with it. I'm not a keys player, I'm a drummer, but I did learn the keyboard while in school (people forget that xylophone & marimba are the same layout.)
I'm going to look around for an 88-key, preferably weighted or hammer action.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Keep it coming folks, I'm shopping :) Min 61 keys though, and if anyone knows of one with a true "semi-weighted" feel (not the heavy fully weighted but not the lightweight "synth action" either), pls pass it along.

What prompted the question Greg, you shopping too?
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Akai MPK 2 mini

EDIT: and a Akai MPK249
Last edited by jlouvar on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
comedians

Post by comedians »

For my modest keyboard skills my trusty M-Audio Keyrig 49 has suited for many years and I couldn't see any value paying for anything better.
Does the job.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

nektar Impact GX49. Way clicky keys but with headphones on, no probs.
Benjamin Drew

Post by Benjamin Drew »

I always had a crush on Roland products. I picked up my first keyboard last October by Native Instruments, the S series 61. I hate to say I just didn't like it and went with my first intuition and picked up the JUNO DS61.

This keyboard, for the price is actually very sophisticated. You can download additional patch banks from their Axial site, edit the internal patches and even layer them from the keyboards display or the included software!

I've been using more and more of the internal patches in track, they sound very good to me. But keep in mind, mI am no pro and am inexperienced.

People complain about different companies including Roland saying stuff like "Their sounds are outdated".
I don't believe a sound set can be outdated and if it sounds good in a song than that's all that counts.

I later added an Akai Advance 49 to my collection. But hopefully returning it soon. Shame really... I love the VIP 3.1 Package and the form factor of the keyboard itself. BUT, I like synth action keys and the adjusting of parameters in the Akai is pretty limited.

My vote goes for a Roland Juno DS61. :)

P.S. I hope to get an Roland Integra 7 someday!
shayneoneill

Post by shayneoneill »

Main keyboard is a Yamaha Clavinova. Its a great piano, and it doubles as a pretty great keyboard controller.

Second keyboard an old Roland Cakewalk midi controller.

And a bunch of stage-broken others lying around.

I want one of these though;-

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=42

Dual keyboard organ style controller. Irritatingly out of reach price wise though
Jmonster

Post by Jmonster »

I'm still kind of a newb, but I'm really digging my M-Audio Axiom 49.
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
This what I use;
- M-Audio Keystation 88es, semi weighted action. Midi out & usb. Used for virtual instruments and hardware synths.
- Roland D5 controller/synth. 61 keys. 1980s synth sounds. Used with virtual & hardware. Midi- out/thru/in.
- Evolution MK-149 keyboard controller. 49 keys. Synth action. Midi out. Used with virtual & hardware.
- Roland U220 sound module. Midi-out/thru/in. 1980s sounds.
- Ferrofish B4000+ organ module. B3 and transistor organ sounds. Connected to a real Leslie speaker, model 251. Two midi inputs & usb. Can use two controllers, for upper & lower, plus use a bass pedal board. Has full control of B3 organ sounds with Leslie emulation. Has stereo audio out, and a stereo audio input to be able to use built in effects like the Leslie emulation.
- MOTU Micro-lite 5in / 5out midi interface. USB to computer. Allows multiple controllers to be used at the same time. ( like upper/lower for organ ) I can have one controller play a virtual piano, and another controlling a different virtual instrument or hardware synth.
- Korg PE1000 polyphonic analog synth. 1977 era. No midi, mono audio out. Fun to play around and experiment with. Still works fine.
- Rhodes Mark1 electric piano. 73 keys.

- Myran
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi again,
You can hear the B4000+ and Rhodes in my piece titled Summer Fun on my soundcloud page.
www.soundcloud.com/myran-j-rivard
Rhodes is in stereo, with Smallstone phase shifter on left, dry right. Connected to my home made dual active DI to split the signal in to two audio outs. Phase Shifter inserted in first DI.
B4000+ goes thru my 8 channel mixer to the Leslie, which is mic'd with three mic's. Stereo upper rotor, center( mono ) bass rotor.
Drum kit recorded using my Scarlet 18i20. See microphone forum for a list of my mic locker.

- Myran
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Anyone familiar w/these?

https://www.thomannmusic.com/swissonic_ ... key_88.htm

Hell of a deal if any good, given it has aftertouch.
EagleWings

Post by EagleWings »

Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol s88 MK2 love it but having trouble with the Komplete Kontrol software in Mixcraft Pro 8. It worked fine until this weekend and suddenly stopped working altogether. I can load the software as a VST and I can even access all the sounds via the computer but once I try to change a patch using the keyboard the program locks up.

Anyway until then it was working great.

I also have and use an M-Audio CTRL-49 and AKAI MPK mini
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

EagleWings wrote:It worked fine until this weekend and suddenly stopped working altogether. I can load the software as a VST and I can even access all the sounds via the computer but once I try to change a patch using the keyboard the program locks up.
Sounds like it could be a Windows update that NI hasn't gotten along with. Couldn't be MC because it hasn't changed.

M