Yamaha PSR-S975 - What am I doing wrong?

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

outteh

Re: Yamaha PSR-S975 - What am I doing wrong?

Post by outteh »

Your internal computer setup and setting up for connecting to a DAW are different. You may find that once you get your DAW working you may not get other application sounds and have to reset. :D
The_Chief

Post by The_Chief »

Oh yayyy! Something else to look forward to! LOLOLOL
outteh

Post by outteh »

Are you working on it now? :D
The_Chief

Post by The_Chief »

Well, I can't guarantee it will be in the next few minutes, as I am caregiver for my wife and two stupid Shih Tzu money pits... so please don't hang out hitting F5 for me, Tom! I'd feel awful if you did... like I said, enjoy your weekend, I'll go through checking everything this evening and tomorrow as I get the chance
outteh

Post by outteh »

No problem, take care of your better half first. Forgot to ask what version of windows are you using? Did see this in the user manual though, might help.

Enabling Stereo Direct / Bit Accurate mode
1. On Sound Blaster Audigy 5/Rx Control Panel, click the Speaker & SPDIF I/O tab. Ensure
that the Speaker/Headphone Selection is set to 2/2.1 Speakers.
2. ClicktheStereoDirect/BitAccuratetab.
3. Click the Enable Stereo Direct/Bit Accurate Playback checkbox.
4. GotoControlPanel(Windows)>Sound>Playbacktab.SelectSoundBlasterAudigy5/Rx > Properties > Advanced tab. Ensure that the Default Format is set to 24 bit, 192000 Hz (Stu- dio Quality).
5. Startyouraudioplayback.
Notes
1. StereoDirect/BitAccuratemodeisonlyapplicabletoWAVfileswiththefollowingspecifications:
l Stereoformat
l PCMaudiodata
l 16-bitsandabove
l 44.1,48,96or192kHz
2. OnceStereoDirect/BitAccurateplaybackstarts,thedigitaloutputsamplingrateisautomatically set to the current playback's sampling rate.
3. WhenStereoDirect/BitAccuratemodeisappliedtotheplayback,adjustingthevolumecontrolor applying EAX effects will not have any effect on digital output signals.
The_Chief

Post by The_Chief »

Windows 10 1903 Update, 24GB RAM, lots and lots of SSD storage and NAS

Thanks again!
outteh

Post by outteh »

In Win 10 some folks have had issues with recording what comes from their speakers or computer sound. Here’s an article that might help, especially the Option 1: Stereo Mix. :)

https://www.howtogeek.com/217348/how-to ... tereo-mix/
The_Chief

Post by The_Chief »

Thanks Tom - just know that I am not attempting to record the PC output, but the keyboard output. The PC speakers are only for playback, nothing else 8)
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
Is there a mixer section in the soundblaster settings. You may just have to turn the level up for that input. It happened to me once on my older computed.

- Myran
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

1. Right-click on the small volume control icon in your Windows taskbar and select Sounds.

2. Select the Recording tab and then play your keyboard. You should see the level indicator moving to the right of Line In or whatever you plugged your keyboard into.

3. If you don't see it moving, right-click on the recording device and select Properties. On the Levels tab, make sure the level is turned up and that it is not muted.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
The_Chief

Post by The_Chief »

Hi there, folks:

#1 - Speaker configuration is not the issue. I have the Enclave 5.1 low-latency wireless speakers: although for projects like this, I would use my Audio Technica monitor headphones. There is no issue getting sound out of Mixcraft. My issue is getting sound INTO it. My USB condenser microphone input is fine: regardless of the Line In options I select, though, on any audio track, I cannot get audio from the keyboard using Line In - Stereo. Or right. Or left, for that matter.

#2 - to Acoustic Greg: I'm not sure what Windows version you're using, but on Windows 10 1903 update, I right-click and am given the option to "Open Sound Settings". There is NO Recording tab: although in Sound Settings there is an Input section. The input option selected is Line In (Sound Blaster Audigy 5/Rx).

#3 - I have tried the stereo aux cable from the keyboard into the sound card's Line In jack, Mic 1 and Mic 2 with ZERO signal. I have tried this with the keyboard's Line Out L/R, Line Out R and the headphone jack. In Windows Sound Settings, I am testing the input and have ZERO signal. The USB mic sounds great.

At this point, I suspect a bad aux cable. I will check it with our home theater system and see if it's just a bad cable. I'll swap out the adapter, too, to eliminate that as a possibility.

Thank you for your help and patience - I will report back with the results.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

The_Chief wrote:#2 - to Acoustic Greg: I'm not sure what Windows version you're using, but on Windows 10 1903 update, I right-click and am given the option to "Open Sound Settings". There is NO Recording tab: although in Sound Settings there is an Input section. The input option selected is Line In (Sound Blaster Audigy 5/Rx).
Hi,

The Sounds option is lower down on the menu, but from the Open Sound Settings screen, you can click Sound Control Panel (in the upper left) to get to the same spot I was talking about.

If sound is coming in on Line In, you should see the level indicators moving. If they aren't moving, then we need to figure out why.

There's another possibility: go into your Windows 10 privacy settings and make sure microphone access is turned on.

Greg

With Windows 10, right-clicking on the volume control icon and selecting Open Sound Settings gets you here:

From that screen, selecting Sound Control Panel gets you here:

Also go to Windows privacy settings and make sure that microphone access is turned on:
The_Chief

Post by The_Chief »

Gotcha, Greg - thanks

While you were typing that all, I ohmed out the cable and 1/4" adapter: they are fine. I tested the cable with my phone and home theater's aux jack, and it played. I also went into the recording settings per your post. Here are the Sound settings:
Sound2.png
Sound2.png (228.07 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Here are the recording settings:
Sound1.png
Sound1.png (118.29 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
It's interesting to note that no matter what device I used to test the Line In, there was nothing recognized by the computer. I tried the keyboard's outputs AND my phone's headphone jack, wired to the Line In jack of the sound card. NOTHING.

Now that we are eliminating suspects, I'm confident we're close to the culprit. Thanks again for the assistance!

EDIT: Since that will probably be the next question, the Line In Properties are Line In volume at 75, Default Format is 2-channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz. Both Exclusive Modes are checked.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

At some point you’re probably going too want an external audio interface... Just saying. :wink:
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, a USB audio interface that has its own ASIO drivers is probably the best solution, but let's keep going on this.

If you right-click on Line In and select Properties, then select the Levels tab, is the recording level turned up? Make sure it's not muted.

Did you go into your Windows 10 privacy setting and make sure that microphone access is allowed?

Greg