DMXIS VST

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

nzguitarman

DMXIS VST

Post by nzguitarman »

Hi, I am using Mixcraft 8 Pro and am wanting to use Enttec DMXIS to control lighting for my show from Mixcraft. The DMXIS software has loaded into my laptop and conected with the DMXIS physical interface and I can now control my dmx lights from my laptop. I loaded the DMXIS VST into Mixcraft and the plugin is visable etc. There seems to be no example of Mixcraft being used with DMXIS however it is used commonly with DAWs such as Ableton, Logic, Reaper etc.
Has anyone else tried to do use DMXIS with Mixcraft?
With DMXIS, lighting is programmed into groups called Banks (e.g. songs) and Presets (e.g. intro, verse, chorus etc). I have loaded in Banks and Presets no problem.
According to Enttec, Banks must use midi channel 15, and Presets must use midi channel 16. I have created two Virtual instrument tracks in Mixcraft with the DMXIS plugin and assigned one midi channell 15 for banks, the other midi channel 16 for presets. I have assigned specific musical notes in each Mixcraft instrurment presets to DMXIS presets and also created notes in the midi tracks to trigger the DMXIS bank and preset changes. The notes have been assigned the relevant midi channel. I cant seem to connect the two - when the midi note is played by Mixcraft it should trigger the change in DMXIS but nothing happens. Ideas?
Acoustica Greg

Re: DMXIS VST

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Huh, you need to be sending the MIDI out from Mixcraft to your external MIDI device.

What about something like this:

Your DMXIS plugin would come first, and the external MIDI device would come second. See if that works. It will only work if the DMXIS plugin passes the MIDI along.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
nzguitarman

Post by nzguitarman »

Thanks, that makes sense - my Mixcraft doesnt seem to see the DMXIS as a midi device - (my midi keyboard is seen by Mixcraft) The DMXIS is set up and works fine with its own software.
DMXIS Manual excerpts:This page explains how to use MIDI to control DMXIS – either the DMXIS standalone, or the DMXIS plug-in running inside a host program (e.g. Logic, Cubase, Ableton Live….)
DMXIS MIDI Learn
Some examples… MIDI Learn lets you use your MIDI controller to:....advance through DMXIS banks/presets from a single MIDI button;
Bank/Preset control
DMXIS listens for “Note ON” messages on MIDI channels 15/16, and uses these to switch banks & presets. For example, sending MIDI Note 1 (i.e. the lowest MIDI note possible) on Channel 15 would load the 1st bank, and sending MIDI Note 6 on Channel 16 would load the 6th preset in the current bank.
Alternatively, you can switch banks/presets with CC #32 (Bank Change LSB) and Program Change MIDI messages (on any MIDI channel). Note that CC #0 (Bank Change MSB) messages are ignored.
Does this help at all?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you restart your computer and run Mixcraft without running other programs, does it show up in Mixcraft's list of external MIDI devices. It needs to show up as a Windows MIDI device. If Windows can't see it, Mixcraft can't see it.

Maybe you there's a driver you need to install or something?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
nzguitarman

Post by nzguitarman »

Thanks for the reply Greg.
I tried the restart etc, still not visible, I have asked the question of DMXIS.
cheers
outteh

Post by outteh »

Looks like your program works as a vst plugin that uses a midi track with midi messages to control the hardware. This is from the user manual:

The easiest way to create a fully automated light show with the plug-in is as follows:
• Create a number of banks & presets for all the looks you want in the show.
• Adjust Fade To Next for those presets where you need smooth cross fades.
• Create an empty MIDI track in your host (to contain all your lighting cues)
• Add MIDI Notes to the MIDI track to trigger bank changes (on MIDI Ch 15) and preset changes (on MIDI Ch 16) exactly where you need them. You can create these events manually in your host, or record them manually from a MIDI keyboard.

So it reads a midi track , does not create one. Give this a try.

Here’s a link to a you tube video that shows how to use it in Abelton Live DAW. The process is the same as in Mixcraft.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4XaQpaGxeZE :D
nzguitarman

Post by nzguitarman »

Thank you so much. I have it all working as it should now. The only change I made was to turn the "Fade to Next" on. Bizarre!