Very new and could use some help ! :)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

horatio

Very new and could use some help ! :)

Post by horatio »

Hello ! im new to all this but im having a blast !
Since my native language isnt english im having a hard time, also ... "music language" lol is a whole other language by itself :? :lol:

Im trying to do simple stuff right now just to get going. first of all I need to be able to record everything that happens on the fly, so when i adjust synt settings and etc i will hear it happen in the record if that make any sense, so i can cut out stuff i want and use it when im just "playing around" with settings.

can anyone help me figure out how to do that ? do i have to use another software or is mixcraft able to do this ?

I have more questions !.. but i will try to keep it very simple and basic for now - for what i need atm. Thanks !
jlouvar

Re: Very new and could use some help ! :)

Post by jlouvar »

What are you recording, real instruments through an audio interface or virtual instruments? What audio interface and or controller are you using? Also are you using Mixcraft Pro 8.1, build 418 with Windows 10 or something else?

Tip: I highly recommend reading the tips and watching the Mixcraft tutorial videos posted in the “Mixcraft Tutorial Videos and Mini-Tips” thread posted at the top of this forum... It may answer many questions for you.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hello again Horatio, and welcome!

First off, dont worry about being new to this, or evan the language barrier. If you are patient and persistent, I think you will find folks here that will go out of their way to give advise, answers, referrals.. Whatever it takes.

As to your question, as I understand it so far-
Yes, you should be able to "record what you hear", improvise, jam, and edit it later, though there are potential obstacles to working that way ( again, if I understand the question).

First tip, that may be obvious- but I have seen it overlooked many times- record to a metronome, or drum loop etc so that you end up with recordings in time with a consistent tempo.

The next issue you may discover-
Recording "free style" may leave you with a situation where clips are difficult to slice up and edit because of a lack of planned beginning and ends to the resulting clips. Its hard to edit without some silence (or near silence) to start and end clips.
I have found I prefer that theres a little more of a plan..... But by all means! Hit record and experiment!

Hope that helps somehow, but if needed, perhaps you can clarify or expand on your question as needed?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
horatio

Post by horatio »

@Mark Bliss
Hello thx for the answers, you said that i should be able to record "what i hear" ? Bye hitting the record button ?
the problem is when i record something either it does not sound like it did when i made the recording, often very noisy or it does not get recorded at all, its often when i use a VTS like Impulse. Im not aiming to just freestyle a track but often i make something when i "freestyle" that i want to use later on. And thx for the tip with the metronome i know about it but just startet to firgure out how to use it and all that.

I could record "everything i hear" with audacity but i guess it would be pretty hard to edit the files afterwards ?

@Jlouvar
I have : Mixcraft 8.1 pro build 418 with windows 10 and trying to record with different VTS's like Impulse, and it will often just turn into one loud werid sound so im doing something terrible wrong.

Tbh i watched some of the tutorial videos but found it hard to find the specific video that covers what i need, also becuase that im new to all this music language stuff...

So i tought i might just ask here for the specifik stuff i needed. But i guess i have to take a look at them soner or later again when i need to learn stuff on a bigger spectrum but right now i just need to learn some very specific stuff to get done some simple stuff i need for a video im making atm. To get some atmospheric sounds i make with differient VTS's .. very simple, not trying to make the next big hit or anything, so thats why i needed to record "anything that happend" right here and right now and mabye even be able to edit it a bit afterwards. I dunno if i make any sense but thx for hanging in there :?
horatio

Post by horatio »

Update :

Lol so.. i found out my instrument channel 1 make a constant sound now and thats what was messin up the recordings also :D Sorry... I dunno how to make it stop, but everything i record on it will play 1 or 2 tones constantly. Tried to restart and everything, so i just made a new instrument track and that worked.. and now the real (old) problem shines more for me again ,and i made a little silly video to demnstrate what i mean since it can be a lil hard with the langugage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tb_RMwjra4

thats what i mean, the change does not happend in the final recording, i know you guys are prolly laughing right now because im so green :D I CAN TAKE IT....
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Hmm, I'm still not sure what you're having problem with... Out of curiosity, are you using an external controller or Musical Typing?

Mark knows much more than I do, so hopefully Mark can help you.

PS: Most everyone here is either here to learn, or help, or both... So no one is laughing.
Last edited by jlouvar on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Joe -

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I'm not sure about the first track problem. Have to come back to that. Good that you discovered it and we can work around it for the moment.

I will be back home later and can better share some thoughts on the rest then.

No ones laughing at you Horatio, and you are making progress! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

horatio wrote:Hello ! im new to all this but im having a blast !
Since my native language isnt english im having a hard time, also ... "music language" lol is a whole other language by itself :? :lol:

Im trying to do simple stuff right now just to get going. first of all I need to be able to record everything that happens on the fly, so when i adjust synt settings and etc i will hear it happen in the record if that make any sense, so i can cut out stuff i want and use it when im just "playing around" with settings.

can anyone help me figure out how to do that ? do i have to use another software or is mixcraft able to do this ?

I have more questions !.. but i will try to keep it very simple and basic for now - for what i need atm. Thanks !
Hi Horatio,
There are 2 possible ways around this. The first is to 'Record all instrument and automation' on the 'Mix' menu https://youtu.be/cZGF2JpXIUg (sorry, I am drunk and made a few mistakes, fixed now)

The second is to download MRecorder (from the free bundle from Melda Productions - https://www.meldaproduction.com/download/plugins - just follow the install instructions)
and insert it either on the specific track or on the 'Master Track' (find 'Show Master Track' on the 'Add track' menu) and set it up appropriately, then record (it will produce a sound file, not a midi file)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
horatio

Post by horatio »

EDIT : aw did not se your latest answer before i posted this - THX i will try the suggestions above

Im using a MPK249 from Akai that i just bought. I think its me that misunderstand how this whole recording sounds work in theese type of programs.

In the video i posted you will first se me edit some stuff in the VTS settings while recording, then you se me playing the recorded clip again but the changes i made in the settings while recording is not there in the clip while playing it, does that make any sense ?
I really dont know how to explain this otherwise.

Do i have to record to something else then the instrument track ? I really dont get it :D
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

horatio wrote:EDIT : aw did not se your latest answer before i posted this - THX i will try the suggestions above

Im using a MPK249 from Akai that i just bought. I think its me that misunderstand how this whole recording sounds work in theese type of programs.

In the video i posted you will first se me edit some stuff in the VTS settings while recording, then you se me playing the recorded clip again but the changes i made in the settings while recording is not there in the clip while playing it, does that make any sense ?
I really dont know how to explain this otherwise.

Do i have to record to something else then the instrument track ? I really dont get it :D

Don't worry, I don't know the Mpk249, but I do have the Novation LaunchControl XL. Either your device should work without configuration, or check out the menu 'File- Preferences - Control Surfaces' and see if the solution is there :D
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Okay, you need to click on the little gear icon on the top of Impulse VST and use MIDI Learn to assign the VST knobs you want to control to knobs on your MPK249. For more details how to use MIDI Learn, click Help on the top of MX8, then Help File... Go to page 318 in the manual.

EDIT:
Here is a MIDI Learn example video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0VE5uTZa2o
Last edited by jlouvar on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Joe -

jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Also: After you assign MPK249 knobs to control VST knobs... Use the knobs on the MPK249 while recording (not during playback) to capture and save the changes to the track. :wink:

Oh, and in a nutshell... While you're in MIDI Learn, make sure you have the "Clicking on VST controls selects parameters when MIDI learn mode is on" box checked, so all you need to do is click on the VST knob that you want to control, then move a knob on the MPK249 to assign that VST knob to the MPK249 knob... Same with buttons and faders too.

PS: If you still need help with this, just ask and I or others here will try to help more.
- Joe -

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Alrighty, I was waiting to get to my computer so I could post an image of the setting to fix the issue of not recording the setting changes- looks like Ian's video has that covered!
And Joe has provided some good tips on migrating away from the clunky mousing method of changing those settings, which may be a little bit of a side-track, but still quite useful.

The remaining issue is to go back to the "first track" problem.
Thinking about this I do recall there being a similar problem a long time ago. Seems like it was specific vsti that were problematic in the fist track for some reason. But I am thinking it was way back in Mixcraft 7, or maybe even 6, and fixed in an update way back then.
Anyway, I am going to suggest a contact with support via the link at the top of this page, where you can provide a log file if needed for further review. (They will guide you through it)

Let us know if you are making progress Horatio, and out of curiosity, what solutions are found. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page