Rising Sky Shepard (Music for Nordlandsbanen #2) (21:33)

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ian Craig

Rising Sky Shepard (Music for Nordlandsbanen #2) (21:33)

Post by Ian Craig »

Due to the vast enthusiasm for the first of these videos i.e. no response, I've decided to annoy you all with the second one, which is much longer :wink: :D :lol:
The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) has recorded several videos of a Norwegian train journey lasting nearly 10 hours (one for each season of the year, so over 36 hours in total) and released these for re-use under Creative Commons license. I have been working on them on and off since the end of July, speeding them up, editing out boring station stops and tunnel sections where necessary and creating music to go with the resultant videos. I created a modular synthesizer setup producing 'Shepard Tones' (using Voltage Modular, modules & external FX :D ), (where pitches appear to rise forever) and built the sonic structure of FX around an improvisation using this. I have layered multiple tracks in this video to make the soundtrack unique so that it could be released using the Creative Commons license demanded by NRK when accompanying use of their videos.
This is the second of these videos I have put together. It's good to put on if you need to relax *edit - well it relaxes me, if not others (Epilepsy Warning - Caution Advised)*.
The other is at https://youtu.be/7HRZCDIsZ6c
The original audio track before I put more layers into it to fit the creative commons license can be found here My original track before it became only a layer of this can be heard here https://iancraig1.bandcamp.com/track/sh ... ge-modular

The video Content licensed under Creative Commons Source: NRKbeta.no http://nrkbeta.no/2013/01/15/nordlandsb ... by-season/
Music released under the same Creative Commons license by Ian Craig https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW51d ... Nwv4H1Ug?.
Any re-use of this video in any form should attribute both sources in the video description.
NRK is in no way connected to, or authorizes my use of their footage except via this licensing agreement structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3POdhfMka4
Last edited by Ian Craig on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Mark Bliss

Re: Rising Sky Shepard (Music for Nordlandsbanen #2) (21:33)

Post by Mark Bliss »

Its interesting that you mention "relaxation"
Different people respond differently to things. I think its good to be aware of this when we create art or media of any kind.

Personally, I find the audio you are creating interesting. Mostly because I am curious about the creation of original ambient styles for sound beds and transitions. As opposed to just using ambient loops etc.
I want to learn more about this. But at the same time, "electronic" just isnt my thing. I get bored very quickly fiddling with synths and sound design. Trying to work past that though.
I guess melody based and story based music/songs is just what pushes my pleasure buttons.

But the video aspect- I am compelled to be honest here. It triggers a strong response of tension and anxiety in me that is immediately very uncomfortable.
I think its largely that "stroboscopic" thing I previously mentioned. Relaxing? I cant watch!

Now if on the other hand, you slowed down one of those scenic clips and created some soothing ambiance......
But thats me man. Do your thing and find pleasure in it!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Mark Bliss wrote:Its interesting that you mention "relaxation"
Different people respond differently to things. I think its good to be aware of this when we create art or media of any kind.

Personally, I find the audio you are creating interesting. Mostly because I am curious about the creation of original ambient styles for sound beds and transitions. As opposed to just using ambient loops etc.
I want to learn more about this. But at the same time, "electronic" just isnt my thing. I get bored very quickly fiddling with synths and sound design. Trying to work past that though.
I guess melody based and story based music/songs is just what pushes my pleasure buttons.

But the video aspect- I am compelled to be honest here. It triggers a strong response of tension and anxiety in me that is immediately very uncomfortable.
I think its largely that "stroboscopic" thing I previously mentioned. Relaxing? I cant watch!

Now if on the other hand, you slowed down one of those scenic clips and created some soothing ambiance......
But thats me man. Do your thing and find pleasure in it!
Okay, I did realise that, as usual, everything in art needs contextualized to the 'n'th degree for people to accept (they need concept to engage with) so I began doing this, making notes over the last couple of days - so here goes :
In answer to your point about tension, I must explain that I get relaxed by wonder, as my brain has to, before it switches off and lets me sleep and I have always considered the film London to Brighton in 3 and a half minutes (BBC 1980s, a remaking of their film 'London to Brighton in 4 minutes' from 1953) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkpLba0d62s wonderous but too short to be relaxing, so I tried to make something that had that effect but was much longer. Admittedly I may have gone overboard in speeding it up, but it looked still pretty slow to me when I was working on it.
Anyway, back to the concept. My notes : unsorted verse in structure are thus -
Rising Sky Shepard
Impressions, back through time
Dreams, forward through the night
Seasons, passing through dying moments
Changing
Sense memory. ...
(note) Seasonal Affective Disorder, S.A.D. in darkness, let the light shine in.
Beautiful Grey (Light), Snow White Shine
Beautiful, but sad
Death, rebirth, dislocation
As the empty spaces increase. ...
Trapped in the reality of time passing ever faster.
Distracted by the vortex of light, sound, art.
Onward.
Windows 10 Professional
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

Interesting, as always.... Your mind works in other ways than mine though, so I´m not sure I can appreciate the things I hear in the way I should have, had I been able to understand how one creates these sorts of sounds.

The idea is interesting, and I´ve seen something similar some 10-15 years ago, but I think that was some kind of "minimalistic" piece, with the rythm of the music being in synch with passing telephone posts a.s.o.

It´s ambitious to say the least! I´m not sure the market for this kind of thing is big or not, but as I said, I have seen similar things before.

Great job anyway!
M@rkus/
Sweden
1. HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC, AMD A6-3410 MX APU, 1,60 Ghz, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. Mixcraft 7, Ampliube 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Asus AMD FX-4100 Quad core 3.60 Ghz, 16 GB ram, Mixcraft 7, Win 7/64 Ultimate SP 1.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Thanks Markus :)
Windows 10 Professional