Input devices not working

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Scotteh

Input devices not working

Post by Scotteh »

Hi.

I'm new to mixcraft and thought I would give it ago. I have mixcraft 8 studio pro. I am running windows 10. I have a M-Audio fast track pro input that I know was discontinued and the drivers only seem to go up to windows 7. However I have installed a driver and it is picking it up on the sound tab of windows and reading then I make a noise or hit a note. So it seems to be working. Open mixcraft and check the input device is reading and it is but as soon as I hit "arm" it comes up with an error saying check device driver is up to date or that device is plugged in correctly. Any ideas on why?

Many thanks

Scott
jlouvar

Re: Input devices not working

Post by jlouvar »

Scotteh wrote:Hi.

I'm new to mixcraft and thought I would give it ago. I have mixcraft 8 studio pro. I am running windows 10. I have a M-Audio fast track pro input that I know was discontinued and the drivers only seem to go up to windows 7. However I have installed a driver and it is picking it up on the sound tab of windows and reading then I make a noise or hit a note. So it seems to be working. Open mixcraft and check the input device is reading and it is but as soon as I hit "arm" it comes up with an error saying check device driver is up to date or that device is plugged in correctly. Any ideas on why?

Many thanks

Scott
Hello Scott and welcome to the Mixcraft forum.
Bummer, my guess is it's a driver problem. I think the easiest solution would obviously be to upgrade your old audio interface. But maybe Acoustica Tech Support or other forum members can help, however it's Sunday, so check back here later (Acoustica Greg should see your post sometime Monday).
You can also request help at: https://acoustica.kayako.com/conversation/new
Again, welcome to the Mixcraft forum.

Joe
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Scotteh

Post by Scotteh »

jlouvar wrote: Hello Scott and welcome to the Mixcraft forum.
Bummer, my guess is it's a driver problem. I think the easiest solution would obviously be to upgrade your old audio interface. But maybe Acoustica Tech Support or other forum members can help, however it's Sunday, so check back here later (Acoustica Greg should see your post sometime Monday).
You can also request help at: https://acoustica.kayako.com/conversation/new
Again, welcome to the Mixcraft forum.

Joe
Hi and thanks.

I have also noticed that the pc drivers for the standard PC mic are having the same problem on mixcraft but the driver is up to date on that so not to sure.
I am trialling a friends version of the software and it's not filling me with much hope in wanting to pick mixcraft over other software. Bad start to my mixcraft experience

Scott
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Scotteh wrote:I am trialling a friends version of the software and it's not filling me with much hope in wanting to pick mixcraft over other software. Bad start to my mixcraft experience
Okay, that could be part of the problem. Uninstall the pirated version of Mixcraft and go to: https://www.acoustica.com/ and on the top of the page click on "Try Mixcraft 8 Free" and download/install the 14 Day FREE TRAIL version of Mixcraft 8.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you click on the small arrow next to the Arm button on an audio track, what are you selecting when you get that Arm error? What are your recording device options there?

In Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences, what mode are you running in: Core Audio (WaveRT), ASIO or Wave?

What do you have selected as your Playback Device?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Scotteh

Post by Scotteh »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

If you click on the small arrow next to the Arm button on an audio track, what are you selecting when you get that Arm error? What are your recording device options there?

In Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences, what mode are you running in: Core Audio (WaveRT), ASIO or Wave?

What do you have selected as your Playback Device?

Greg
Picking what device it records through I can pick my fast track pro. It reads that it is there but just wont arm. As far as I am aware it's a full paid for copy. I would like to buy myself a copy because of updates and all that. I'm really considering trying Ableton instead as I only hear good stuff about it and a lot of producers I see on youtube use it. I think if i cant figure this out soon i will be trying a different software.
Also using the core audio (wave rt)
Scott
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did you download and install that last update for the M-Audio Fast Track Pro? If not, try that.

Try using ASIO mode.

Greg
Daniel Johnson

Post by Daniel Johnson »

I have the same m-audio device. I do know that a few months back I was using it on my laptop (Windows 10) and Windows did recognize the device. I plugged in a guitar and Mixcraft worked fine. Are you trying to plug in a musical instrument or microphone or both? If you let me know exactly what you are trying to do I'll see if I can duplicate it. Glad to help if it keeps the music moving. 8)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

With Windows 10, there's also the possibility that privacy settings are blocking MIcrophone use.

Go into Windows Privacy settings and make sure apps have permission to use your microphone:

But you should definitely try ASIO mode.

Greg
Scotteh

Post by Scotteh »

Daniel Johnson wrote:I have the same m-audio device. I do know that a few months back I was using it on my laptop (Windows 10) and Windows did recognize the device. I plugged in a guitar and Mixcraft worked fine. Are you trying to plug in a musical instrument or microphone or both? If you let me know exactly what you are trying to do I'll see if I can duplicate it. Glad to help if it keeps the music moving. 8)
I have tried both. Not at the same time. Windows picks it up and reads it working. Mixcraft even sees the device. Reads it as Line1/2 then something else but I'm not home to see exactly what is says. So mixcraft knows that there is a device there it just wont let me arm it. Someone above has said about privacy settings so when I get home from work I will try that

Scott
Scotteh

Post by Scotteh »

With Windows 10, there's also the possibility that privacy settings are blocking MIcrophone use.

Go into Windows Privacy settings and make sure apps have permission to use your microphone:

But you should definitely try ASIO mode.

Greg
Hi

Tried this and it works perfect. Slight delay but I guess that's what we get with digital.

Many thanks all :D

Scott
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you running in ASIO mode? If not, try that.

Greg
Scotteh

Post by Scotteh »

Are you running in ASIO mode? If not, try that.

Greg
Hi.

I have tried this but I think my input device might not support it. Cant remember what it says but it doesnt work

Scott
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you're happy with WaveRT, just use that.

The Fast Track Pro is old hardware, and I guess they aren't updating the drivers anymore.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

There has been a lot of discussion elsewhere about this specific issue.
From what I understand, some years ago the M-Audio was split up and sold to two different companies, with Avid getting the Fast Track product line, which they apparently have let die. Driver updates necessary to keep up with evolving OS versions just didnt happen. It seems troubles began to surface beyond Win7 32bit and got worse as time went on. Many people complaining about Win10 64 bit issues. And Avid's customer support reputation is far from stellar.
The common stories seem to go along the lines of some success from certain driver versions in some compatibility mode or something similar, but it seems common that other problems still occur and most people get frustrated and move on.
As Greg deftly points out, this product is pretty old. And realistically, the expected lifespan of economy interfaces is probably half or less the age of these models.
Frankly, its effectively obsolete. I know and can relate to the feeling of attachment to what has worked in the past. At the same time, I always have my eye on what might be needed to replace it.
And I am overdue for an interface update myself......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page