Recording live concert into mixcraft

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

subversive

Recording live concert into mixcraft

Post by subversive »

Hey all, apologies if this is well covered in other forum topics. I'm a Mixcraft 7 user, but that's putting it lightly as I haven't done much with it. In any case, I have a concert happening at my house this weekend. I have a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK mixer, which also acts as a 12 channel audio interface. I have a template set up in Mixcraft to map the channels to channels in mixcraft. I'm hoping to record the entire set of music (solo musician with acoustic guitar) as a learning experience. Any tips or tricks you can pass along would be appreciated and most welcomed.
jlouvar

Re: Recording live concert into mixcraft

Post by jlouvar »

subversive wrote:Hey all, apologies if this is well covered in other forum topics. I'm a Mixcraft 7 user, but that's putting it lightly as I haven't done much with it. In any case, I have a concert happening at my house this weekend. I have a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK mixer, which also acts as a 12 channel audio interface. I have a template set up in Mixcraft to map the channels to channels in mixcraft. I'm hoping to record the entire set of music (solo musician with acoustic guitar) as a learning experience. Any tips or tricks you can pass along would be appreciated and most welcomed.
If they also sing, use two microphones... Find the sweat spot for the acoustic guitar (mic placement is important) and get the other microphone close to their mouth, maybe use a pop filter on the vocal mic too... adjust levels, and hit record.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
subversive

Post by subversive »

Yes, they sing. Mic for vocals will be on one channel. Guitar will not be mic'd, it will be plugged into DI, then a different channel on the mixer. Thanks.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

I'd use a mic and DI on the acoustic guitar (separate tracks) and use good condenser microphones if you have them... Also pick a good sounding room, away from walls etc.
- Joe -

subversive

Post by subversive »

It's a concert, there are 60 people coming. The room is a large garage with a stage made of pallets. There's no changing that. :) The mic is an SM-58, standard performance vocal mic.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

stage made of pallets
Watch out for stage floor noise (it can vibrate up the mic stand)... If you have a matching pair of small condenser microphones maybe setup some room mic's too (separate tracks)... Anyway, have fun and best wishes.

EDIT: If the artist is performing original music at the house concert, make sure you have their permission to record their concert. :wink:
- Joe -

GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

subversive wrote:It's a concert, there are 60 people coming. The room is a large garage with a stage made of pallets. There's no changing that. :) The mic is an SM-58, standard performance vocal mic.
I'm not well versed in this area but one thing I would do is set everything up and do a soundcheck if you can before everybody shows up and then if possible get the performer to do some type of soundcheck (talking to the crowd and some guitar playing ) after everybody arrives. 60 people in a garage is going to change the room acoustics. This will give you some time to set EQ's and levels, Etc.
MATTOROURKE

Post by MATTOROURKE »

Set up rooms mics!