Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

amongtheliving

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by amongtheliving »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
amongtheliving wrote:Hi everyone!
I want this feature soooo bad:
MIDI STEP RECORD. Very basic one (like in fl studio) or advanced step recording cakewalk sonar has.
I know it's hard to implement properly, but maybe in MX10 we can have it.
Hi,

This is in Mixcraft 9.0.

Greg
Wow! It feels like MX9 will be the biggest update in history of Mixcraft. 8)
pixelblip

Post by pixelblip »

Hi there
Sorry if this has been asked a zillion times before.
I wish their was a virtual drummer like Logic has. Sure there is Toontrack and Jamstix but nothing is as easy to use as that Garageband or Logic drummer.
It doesn't get in the way of making music..........

Please oh Lord consider providing the best and easiest sequencer with a built in virtual drummer worthy of the software! I just want something that will play some rock behind me and fill it in with as little to do as possible so I can carry on jamming!
Thanks for listening and sorry I am sure it's been asked like a million times before!
mick

Post by mick »

Acoustica Studio Drums, add compression and Eq to taste!
Click on the little piano icon and select vst then Acoustica Studio Drums, double click on the track and the step sequencer will pop up, you have a choice of piano, step and notation, choose step, select loop on the transport and enter beats in the step editor.
drums m7.PNG
drums m7.PNG (110.27 KiB) Viewed 35458 times
pixelblip

Post by pixelblip »

Thank you Mick. Of course any drumming app is appreciated but to me that's like a drum machine or a step write sequencer - it's not really a virtual drummer.
The thing about the Garageband drummer is that you don't have to do anything - other than set your bars and play around with the fill slider. You pick your style, drummer, et voila. Jamstix is like this but the results from Garageband are just so superb. Trouble is, Mixcraft is better than Garageband if you ask me :D
You need a drummer that will sound different when playing through the track with variations............not a robot.

To me, this is what making music is about ......personally when I am composing tracks I don't feel like getting my mouse and drawing squares in boxes......I would rather the computer deal with all of that so I can just put some keys and bass down! :D but thank you for trying to make a useful suggestion.
Over the years I've always found drums the achillies heal in making music on the computer. When that Garageband virtual drummer came on the scene my tracks went up a few notches to say the least and it cut down the time taken to actually get a song together and done.
Before everyone says why don't you use Garageband then.......well because I am on a pc !
mick

Post by mick »

O.K. Sounds like you require some midi drum patterns to insert onto the midi track, or into the performance panel, should be some free stuff around. I think the free MT power drums (virtual drummer) has loads of them.

https://www.powerdrumkit.com/download76187.php
jumbodude

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions! MIDI CLIPS???

Post by jumbodude »

I keep going on about more ability to use and save Midi Clips. My case is that simply recording a Midi Clip to audio then transposing that audio Clip via Semitonal increment or diminishment is not going to sound as good as actually sending midi clip through a VST plugin. If you use a lot of plugins you want the ability to have your midi clips handy for testing out . Performance panel is handy to audition and swap in and out various midi clips for example Bass Clips but it can get a bit messy when you are auditioning many of them. I store many of my Midi Clips in separate files placed under Instrument or Purpose so I can get to them easy. This works great with other programs but becomes a bind in Mixcraft because you simply cannot store each individual midi clip for later use. Audio transposition by increasing frequencies are not the best way forward in my opinion because it distorts the sound of the instrument to the point where it sounds false and unauthentic. Midi keeps the VST's integrity in my opinion and the instruments sound more authentic. So please can we have the ability to save Midi Clips as individual Midi Clips and export them to other areas for future use? Alternatively a midi library? Something like Ableton Lite does this so it is not beyond the realms of possibility.
pixelblip

Post by pixelblip »

Hi again
I've just thought of a good and potentially easy way to implement a virutal drum feature without too much work.

Hows about being able to use the clips (like Ableton) with preloaded midi files. As the music piece stars playing Mixcraft picks from a set of clips to play the main beat ( say 16 patterns for starters with different 4/4 beats). Then every 4 or 8 bars it picks a fill from another 16 clips. That way Acoustica don't have to start from scratch.
If you were able to add a bit of randomisation to this with a few buttons so it could do a little half way mini fill in the pattern just to vary it a bit even better.
I guess this is like 'Actions' in Ableton ...only it would choose a different fill every 4 or 8 bars. That way we could pick our own midi clips or grooves ........and drop them into the clip launcher window.
That saves writing a drum plugin :D
Does anyone else think this is a good idea and doable? I mean clips is there already so it's just a question of adding a feature that the computer chooses random clips from a set of beats or a set of fills.
kisslover98

Post by kisslover98 »

i would love the ability to copy paste effects from one track to another.
bluetree

Post by bluetree »

the top menu bar should be dark grey instead of a light grey

is mixcraft 9 getting a GUI overhaul? acoustica must adopt a more modernized look. the current GUI looks a little dated. why not go for the minimalist garageband look?
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

kisslover98 wrote:i would love the ability to copy paste effects from one track to another.
You can Drag them from one track to another

Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Alright, time to bump this thread a bit.

One thing that I'm absolutely in love with* is the LFO parameter controls right from a plugin's interface. Absolutely wonderful, and great for all sorts of shenanigans, especially when you have plugins that do not have LFOs of their own, or only have one or two max.

*but! One thing that would be nice to see is the ability to automate these LFO controllers from the automation lanes. At least as of right now, I cannot find any way to, say, adjust the frequency of the LFO that doesn't exclusively involve the mouse, and there's no way for any of these changes to make it into the final version of a track, because we can't manually make these adjustments during mixdown. I've also noticed that when the LFO is used on a parameter that any automation for that parameter in the automation lane is ignored. I assume this was done to preempt any collision issues between multiple parameter change sources, but I'm going to have to get used to the LFO overriding previous automation rather than using existing automation as its center value to oscillate around (CV-type behavior).
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

Hi!

Does anybody else find the '+1 LOOP' button more dangerous than usefull?

It's so close and similiar to the MUTE button, that working with longer clips or bigger zoom (especially with many lanes where you have to mute/unmute clips a lot) gives a high chance of adding unwanted extra loops, covering something in front and therefore making a mess in the project.

Happened to me few times, and then I realised that I had never used that button for what it's made, as I always copy/paste for one-shots, and just drag the side for the loops...

And one suggestion that I made in other thread:
Value Arrows.jpg
Value Arrows.jpg (22.17 KiB) Viewed 34916 times

Post by 7915983 »

There are many great things in Mixcraft 9! But there are still 2 simple things that could save people a lot of time.

1-A search box for automation parameters. Some VSTi have literally hundereds of different parameters and searching for them 1 at a time is a nightmare!

2- being able to zoom in more when editing audio tracks. A software of this standard should already cover that.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

1-A search box for automation parameters. Some VSTi have literally hundereds of different parameters and searching for them 1 at a time is a nightmare!

2- being able to zoom in more when editing audio tracks. A software of this standard should already cover that.
Hi,

Through the power of time travel, I have added one of the features you have requested. Unfortunately, the limits of time travel technology prevent me from adding more than just one feature.

But there's always the "Edit in External Editor" option.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101

Post by 7915983 »

I don't know how I missed that, hahaha, but great job!

I still hope to be able to zoom in more for more precise editing of audio tracks though.