windows 10 pita

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mick

windows 10 pita

Post by mick »

I upgraded to windows 10 and it runs fast but every day it downloads an update to go from version 1607 to 1809. I tried to install this update 6 times but each time it stalls @84% ish. A hard reboot kicks it back into life but only for a while to 90% ish, a second hard boot reverts all back to the way things were. This whole process takes hours and hours and results in nothing whatsoever. I have disabled updates a few times but it resets itself and it becomes a "here we go again" scenario. I really am so fed up with windows 10 so if anybody has a solution (that Microsoft don't) that wold be a good result, only other thing is to go back to windows 7. None of the magic potion remedies or software vendors promises that they want money for can fix it and there are 100,000's in the same situation according to google searches, with some having a trashed computer and documents. Windows 10 is really bad news.
I,ve done a full re-install twice but its the same thing, Microsoft cannot get the updates to work except on new computers. Any ideas folks? :shock:
Acoustica Greg

Re: windows 10 pita

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Looks like there's a troublshooter for Windows updates. Did you try that?
Windows update troubleshooter
Windows update troubleshooter
troubleshoot-settings-windows-update-fix-1909__0.jpg (87.03 KiB) Viewed 5215 times
Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mick

Post by mick »

Yes Greg, I tried that and a dozen other things, some suggested by microsoft and some by google folk. I just tried one last thing and that is to disable the update again but I also found a related setting both of wich I have highlighted. I'll see how this goes and if windows resets them both as it does just the update setting. (windows update facilitaion service and windows update)

Apparently windows 10 pro has a disable switch but it only runs for a month then resets, windows 10 has a mind of its own and its not welcome, I can go back to win 7 and get all the updates before jaaan 14 when support stops, after that I need to rely on a 3rd party antivirus AFAIK.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (235.89 KiB) Viewed 5203 times
comedians

Post by comedians »

Hi Mick

WIndows 10 pro feature updates can be disabled for, I think, 180 days by using Local Group policy, I have been running 1607 since it was first
updated from 1511 - 4 years ago. I have business software that can't run on versions above 1607 hence why I keep it as it is.

Another way is to use wusowhide.cab which will stop feature updates, so it might be worth looking up those two.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The Windows 10 updates include security patches, so it's good to update if you can. A lot of malware only works on old Windows builds.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mtntracks

Post by mtntracks »

Hi Mick -

I've run into this before, but don't remember exactly how I fixed it. I believe I was running a bunch of updates at once, (to become current following a fresh W10 install), and it seems that there was another update that the current one (the stuck one) was dependent on. And the earlier update needed to be installed and system restarted prior to installing the (stuck) one. Seems like I noticed the earlier update in "update history", and that it was waiting on restart in order to be complete. Then once it was installed and system restarted, the big (stuck) update completed.

I know you've tried a million things including restarts and reinstalls. I remember that headache - sorry I don't have a definite answer for you but maybe this will jog something loose for you.

W10 is a PITA at first for sure, but it's been "fairly" stable for me for a while now. (knock on wood).
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

mtntracks wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:17 pm W10 is a PITA at first for sure, but it's been "fairly" stable for me for a while now. (knock on wood).
Win10 is stable if you aren't trying to cram two years of updates in at once. That's about the gist of it, unfortunately.

If you're able to do a fresh install, I would recommend that.
mtntracks

Post by mtntracks »

Who said anything about 2 years of updates?
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

mtntracks wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 pm Who said anything about 2 years of updates?
Win10 ver 1607 came out in 2016 (2016, Month 07), 1809 in 2018 (2018, Month 09). 2-ish years of updates. Sometimes Windows can just dirty-install a build over an older one, but sometimes it has to patch its way through major updates, and the latter is more likely the older the current install is.

Like if I kept using my old 150X (not sure what month it was, 1503?) Win10 Install USB drive whenever my windows install crapped out on me, I'd have to wait for a 16XX build to install over it, then reboot, install another build, possibly reboot again, then probably one last reboot before being at the current 1903 build that's on my machine right now (and with a super-speedy 5mbps DSL connection, that only takes... a "few" hours?). Thankfully I wisened up and downloaded a much more recent ISO file :lol:
mick

Post by mick »

Thanks for all the comments so far folk's , I'm downloading an iso file or will get w10 pro, I already did 2 re-installs that came with the message... your computer is up to date! but then the creators update and others appear, so far the 2 items i disabled are working so i'll report back if anything changes, all comments are of value and helping me to sort this out. 8)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

My wife uses her Win 10 laptop seldom, and she wonders why it's always updating.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
mtntracks

Post by mtntracks »

That makes sense now Anorax - thanks. It's coming back to me now ... :D

In my most recent (and final) W10 install, I did the same - a fresh install from usb drive, using the by-product of the current iteration of the MS media creation tool (I think that's what it's called). But even then, I still had *some* updates to apply, but not the painful slog that I would have had using an older image.

You're right, if you're doing a fresh install it's always best to use the latest image you can get from MS and not use an old one on a usb drive that was created in the past ; (been there). Otherwise, you can get stuck in update hell.
mick

Post by mick »

I followed Anorax example and now have the iso file on dvd. The HDD is partitioned and so is a second drive so next its choosing which partition to format or maybe create an image file copy then format C:/ then put the iso on that. need to study this out first and know what I'm doing. I dont mind security updates as they don't seem to take too long. I submitted this post because it may help others with the same issues, there appears to be too many on google unable to get a solution. :mrgreen: