Combining Loops

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bsheen

Combining Loops

Post by bsheen »

Is there a way to weld a series of loops together so you can perform a slow fade over the entire welded area? As of now it fades each individual loop. Hope this makes sense.

Brian
build 4.2 v98
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

There is a way, but not without a mixdown.

I think the best way is to solo the track, turn off all effects, mix down to wav, delete the clips in the track, add the new mixed wav in place of the deleted clips, turn effects back on and continue going about your business.
*Vibrant Audio*
bsheen

Post by bsheen »

I thought maybe that was the only way.... The only draw back to that is, I wouldn't be able to go back and edit the track. I guess I'll have to make sure it is exactly what I want before mix down. Thanks for the reply.

Maybe this would be a useful tool to have for future MC5. (the weld/unweld feature)
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

You can join clips in Mixcraft, but it resets the placement end to end (you lose any overlaps of clips that you join) and it still doesn't allow the kind of global volume envelope control that you are looking for.

In Nuendo/Cubase there is a function called "glue" that does what we need Mixcraft to do. I'm hoping like you that a future version of MC incorporates this type of "weld" function.

Regardless, I often mix down individual tracks and then reload them into the project like I suggested. You can still edit the new track if you need to.

In fact, one benefit of mixing down a solo track is it helps on slower computers. You can mix down a solo track with lots of effects and leave the effects on during mix down. Your new track now has effects on it but you have freed up some processing resources.

Also, it can be typical to print a final mix to stereo and then create a new project with your final mix only and add mastering effects and dynamics, rather than mixing and mastering simultaneously.
*Vibrant Audio*
bsheen

Post by bsheen »

Those are great suggestions. I am fortunate enough to have a decent size system just for recording, however I am totally on board with doing what you have recommended. I like the idea of creating the wav files then mastering them after the mix.

Off the topic, do you have any experience working with limiters for mastering?
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Plenty. How can I help? What limiter are you using?
*Vibrant Audio*
gigazaga

Post by gigazaga »

I think the best way is to solo the track, turn off all effects, mix down to wav, delete the clips in the track, add the new mixed wav in place of the deleted clips, turn effects back on and continue going about your business.
I also wish Mixcraft had a better way of handling this. But this is a good work around. I would modify this procedure slightly. I would not delete all the clips on the track. I would probably mute the original track but keep it in the project just in case I wanted to go back and make changes.
Gigazaga