Can we have please the old skin back? Or at least an option to change colors?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jlouvar

Re: Can we have please the old skin back? Or at least an option to change colors?

Post by jlouvar »

FWIW: I like both skin's... But I favor the new MX9 skin, maybe it's because I'm getting use to the MX9 skin.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
outteh

Re: Can we have please the old skin back? Or at least an option to change colors?

Post by outteh »

outteh wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:24 pm Is it part of the old Mixcraft 8 color scheme in the nw Mixcraft 9, that when you solo a track the other tracks go grey and disappear? :D
Bump! Greg? :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

outteh wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:24 pm Is it part of the old Mixcraft 8 color scheme in the nw Mixcraft 9, that when you solo a track the other tracks go grey and disappear? :D
Haha! Good catch, Tom. I'll file a bug report.

Thanks for reporting that.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:54 am
Haha! Good catch, Tom. I'll file a bug report.

Thanks for reporting that.
This appears to only happen in 64bit. 32bit looks normal.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm also seeing it in 32-bit build 442 with the Mixcraft 8 visual theme.

Greg
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Thanks for the options, but I like the new look. Darth Vader-ish. 8)
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:32 am Hi,

I'm also seeing it in 32-bit build 442 with the Mixcraft 8 visual theme.

Greg
Uh, yup. Guess I forgot that li'l detail. :oops:
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
Acoustica Chris

New, lighter theme to try

Post by Acoustica Chris »

Hi everyone. I have run into the same problem as some of you in regard to the dark color scheme in Mixcraft 9, finding it a bit hard to see the black dividing lines against Mixcraft 9's dark grays. So, I decided to make my own color scheme to lighten the darkest colors a bit. As I went along, I also made a few other, minor changes, while trying to preserve the overall look of the default dark theme. The only other significant change I made was to the list box color, which I darkened to make it look more "inset" to the window.

Here is what my lightened theme looks like:
New "MX_Dark2" theme
New "MX_Dark2" theme
MX9-dark2.png (212.1 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
And here is the default theme:
Mixcraft 9 default theme
Mixcraft 9 default theme
MX9-default.png (208.54 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
The toolbars, track headers and buttons are lighter in my theme, but no changes have been made to the timeline/clip area. You might need to download the screenshots and load them in a fullscreen photo viewer to really compare them back to back. The difference might be more noticeable on some monitors than others, depending on color/gamma calibration, monitor type, etc. The change is subtle, but for me, it makes a big difference when working long hours in the DAW.

Here is a list of the changes I made from the default theme:
  • Lightened all dark colors by roughly 12%. Most of the fully saturated colors (e.g., hard blues and reds) are a bit lighter as well.
  • List boxes are now darker than the rest of the window instead of lighter. You can see this change in FX and instrument lists, as well as the sample library.
  • Track header pan outline now matches the volume slider. In the default theme, the two outlines are different shades of gray.
  • A few other color tweaks here and there.
If you'd like to give the skin a try, follow these instructions:
  1. Download the MX_Dark2 theme here (download removed, see EDIT below), then extract the files.
  2. Copy "mixskin-dark2.ini" and the "mixrez" folder into your Mixcraft 9 install folder (usually C:\Program Files\Acoustica Mixcraft 9).
  3. If you are using at least build 442 and don't have any custom skins installed, you can replace "skins.csv" inside your Mixcraft 9 install folder with the one from the archive. Otherwise, edit your existing "skins.csv" and add the following line:

Code: Select all

MX_Dark2,mixskin-dark2.ini,mixrez/skins/dark2/preview.png
  4. Start Mixcraft, go into Preferences -> Display, and choose "MX_Dark2" under Visual Theme.
  5. Restart Mixcraft.
I'd love to hear your feedback. For those who have been struggling with the dark colors: does this adjustment help?

NOTE: This theme is a personal project, not an official Acoustica theme. I am not responsible for creating themes for Acoustica.

NOTE #2: I'm not sure what happens to "skins.csv" upon Mixcraft upgrade, so make sure you save a copy just in case it gets replaced.

EDIT: I have removed the download link to the original file, because it contained a bug that would cause Mixcraft to crash when hovering over the master volume control. Here is my updated version of this theme, called "MX_Dark2b", which fixes the crash bug, adds support for the new tap tempo feature in the main transport, and tweaks a few colors including giving the scrollbars better contrast.
Chris Collins
Acoustica, Inc.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

That does look like a very good improvement over the original Chris, especially for the instrument browser. I haven't put it in yet and I'm quite happy to have the MX8 skin, but it looks worth trying out. I will get round to it. Thanks :)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Anybody having problems with the mx8 skin check out this post.

Greg
Acoustica Chris

Post by Acoustica Chris »

I have updated my skin with the following fixes:
  • An incorrect PNG reference was causing Mixcraft to crash when moving the mouse cursor over the master volume control.
  • Added support for the new tap tempo feature in the main transport.
  • A few color tweaks including giving the scrollbars better contrast.
You can find the new theme, renamed "MX_Dark2b" here. Follow the instructions I wrote a few posts ago to install it.
Chris Collins
Acoustica, Inc.
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Hello,

Quick question. I’m having trouble finding anything in the mixrez folder for the upper and lower sound detail tab background colors. Is this done in the .ini file or am I just going cross eyed? :)

-Nathan
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Quick answer: Can you be more specific?

Not so quick answer: Probably in the mixskin.ini file under "New sound panel stuff"

Is this what you're looking for:?
; New sound panel stuff
;---------------------------
[sound2-important-panel]
solid color.r = 90
solid color.g = 90
solid color.b = 90

[sound2-tab-panel]
Num Layers = 1
Style.1 = 2
Num Extra Colors.1 = 0

Start.R.1 = 150
Start.G.1 = 150
start.B.1 = 150

End.R.1 = 124
End.G.1 = 124
End.B.1 = 124

"Start" & "End" color create a gradient. Have fun with this one.
RollingStone

Post by RollingStone »

Davidoff wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:06 pm Hi there. Thanks for the new Mixcraft. A big turn off for me and probably to many Users is the new skin. Why blue? And the ply button bar has no more dividers. This doesnt look like Mixcraft at all. Im used to the green and the play button bar with single buttons, divided. Now this looks so different. Mixcraft was simple and easy to use. It looks now too much for my eyes and it is not fun opening Mixcraft 9. I have to use Mixcraft 8 for my work flow because Im used to the green, grey and white. Can you please do an update with an option for the old look?

Would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
wow, there are some more people out there who feel like me when it comes to the new mc9 design. thanks for this! it's the same with my work flow. creating music and being creative is a very distinct procedure.

yesterday i set up my new windows 10 machine and after my first mc9 design shock last week i again installed the latest mc8 build by force of habit.

i will keep me informed regularly about the next upcoming mc9 builds. if there will be option to either choose the REAL mc8 oldschool design or to create an own design with own colors, mc9 will fit for sure. :idea:
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Guitars with colored pick guards distract me so much I can’t play, lol. :wink:
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar