Modulation does not work on Acoustica instruments

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

joss

Re: Modulation does not work on Acoustica instruments

Post by joss »

I rectify one of my statements.
I just tried Sonatina and VSCO2 Orchestra instruments and the modulation doesn't work well either.
That is, according to my tests, in the worst quality instruments the modulation does not work well.
Not only have I tried with "Amadeus" but I have done it with several more quality instruments.

Please.
Admit that Mixcraft instruments do not support modulation and solve it.
Isn't Mixcraft 9 a frontline DAW?
Last edited by joss on Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for the translation, it may create some confusion.
I also apologize if it took me a while to respond, there is a time difference in the country where I live and it could coincide at night.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

When you say it works badly, what do you mean, exactly? Earlier you mentioned distortion. Is that what you're hearing? Distortion? What does it sound like?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
joss

Post by joss »

Please.
I also apologize if it took me a while to respond, there is a time difference in the country where I live and it could coincide at night.
joss

Post by joss »

I will not repeat everything I have already written.
joss

Post by joss »

It's time for dinner.
Tomorrow I have to decide between Mixcraft 9 pro or Reaper 6.
joss

Post by joss »

This has occurred to me this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion

Good night
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

joss wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:24 pm Please.
Hi,

I can't admit that they don't support modulation because it's working normally for me, and for most people. I don't hear any distortion, I hear a modulation in the sound, as expected.

In order to help you, we need to understand what you're experiencing and what variables are involved in the problem. There are no effects on the track? The problem happens even in a new project with only the Acoustica Instrument on the track and no effects on the master track?

Do you hear the problem within Mixcraft, or only after you mix down to an audio file?

Greg
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Did I understand that Jose is using his mouse, not a mod wheel?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In one post, he says that it happens with his keyboard's mod wheel and also with his mouse, so that led him to believe it wasn't his keyboard's fault.

Greg
joss

Post by joss »

I am still without sleep to prepare these samples.
There are no effects on the track.
The project is new with only one track and only the loaded instrument and no effects on the master track.
The problem is heard both within Mixcraft and after mixing it.
Attachments
Octave Strings Slow.mp3
(295.39 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
VSCO2 Orchestra Violin Section.mp3
(291.72 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
The Orchestra Flute Sustain.mp3
(354.78 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
The orchestra Violins 1 sustain.mp3
(341.92 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Amadeus full strings ensemble.mp3
(329.06 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Messiah version 1 Flutes.mp3
(312.53 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by joss on Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did you read my earlier comments on the Messiah Version 1 flutes preset?

What are all these samples? Is there an example of Slow Strings sounding wrong with Mixcraft? Are any of them an illustration of the problem in Mixcraft (aside from Messiah Version 1 flutes preset)?

Greg
joss

Post by joss »

God.

Didn't you ask me to let you know what the problem sounds like and to tell you the variables involved in it?

Well, this is my answer and with the samples of how modulation works according to the instrument used.

What you do not understand?
Last edited by joss on Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joss

Post by joss »

Everything is recorded in Mixcraft 9.
Octave Strings Slow are from "Acoustica Instruments"
The others are from Sonuscore orchestra, the Amadeus instrument and the VSCO2 orchestra.
So you can compare how modulation works on quality instruments, those of lesser quality and those of Mixcraft.
It is not clear?
I'm getting tired of writing and repeating.
Here in my country it is 2 am.
Now I think you have everything to investigate the problem ... right?

Well, tomorrow more.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You edited your post and changed some of the sounds, didn't you? Didn't the top sound say something about Reaper? That was my confusion, I did't understand that these were all various third-party instruments being used in Mixcraft.

Which one of those files are you hearing distortion in? Octave Strings Slow.mp3? And Messiah Version 1 Flutes?

What distortion are you hearing? When you say distortion, I'm listening for the audio breaking up or sounding harsh.

In regard to Messiah Version 1 Flutes, did you try the suggestion of switching the LFO from square wave to triangle wave? If not, try that and see whether you like it.

Triangle wave.
Triangle wave.
messiahv1triangle.png (224.41 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
Greg
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:24 am Hi,

You edited your post and changed some of the sounds, didn't you? Didn't the top sound say something about Reaper? That was my confusion, I did't understand that these were all various third-party instruments being used in Mixcraft.

Which one of those files are you hearing distortion in? Octave Strings Slow.mp3? And Messiah Version 1 Flutes?

What distortion are you hearing? When you say distortion, I'm listening for the audio breaking up or sounding harsh.

In regard to Messiah Version 1 Flutes, did you try the suggestion of switching the LFO from square wave to triangle wave? If not, try that and see whether you like it.

messiahv1triangle.png

Greg
He's referring to "distortion" as "Instrument X doesn't modulate like the articulations in these sample libraries do". He is expecting most, if not all, of the instrument presets within Mixcraft to function like deep-sampled libraries, as opposed to a soundfont sample pack. On a side note, I haven't thought of Soundfonts in years. I'm betting one of the complaints is that many of the Acoustica Instruments automatically have a vibrato built-into the longer sustains.
joss wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:59 pm God.

Didn't you ask me to let you know what the problem sounds like and to tell you the variables involved in it?

Well, this is my answer and with the samples of how modulation works according to the instrument used.

What you do not understand?
Two thoughts.

1: it is probably considered inappropriate, if not downright childish, to repeatedly insult the developers of a product just because you do not understand how a specific VST instrument processes MIDI CC data.

2: Acoustica Instruments and Acoustica Expanded Instruments are rudimentary MIDI GM sample libraries (Similar to the General MIDI Synth built into Windows), and Messiah is a VST plugin meant to model the Prophet V "Messiah" synthesizer from the 80's. They are not in-depth sample libraries that you can purchase and use in Kontakt and other standalone sample library players. They will not sound like, or perform like, these deep-sampled libraries. I suggest you download a trial of Ableton Live and try out their flutes and strings and see if you are also upset that the in-DAW sounds are not up to the quality of sound of your sample libraries. I understand you're upset that the Messiah VST cannot faithfully replicate the full performance of an actual flute, but it is not meant to nor was it ever meant to.

If your other complaint is that the Acoustica Instruments flute and strings modulate as if there is an LFO going to the sample's pitch, then you are correct - that is how Acoustica Instruments and Acoustica Expanded Instruments are designed to work.

In short, Mixcraft is working as intended. Mixcraft is correctly and properly passing the CC 1 (mod wheel) data to the synthesizer, and however that plugin decides it's going to interpret that data is up to the plugin.

Finally, if you're going to provide audio for us to hear the problem, but not explain either 1) what to listen for in each audio clip (as opposed to just "SEE THESE SOUND WEIRD WHY CAN'T YOU TELL 😡"), and/or 2) a recording from another DAW where the sample or plugin performs exactly as intended so we can hear what *should* be happening in Mixcraft but *isn't*, then don't get upset when people are not sure what you're referring to. Right now the issue is you have not been able to articulate what the issue is, other than "the modulation sounds weird", whatever "weird" means.

tl;dr - the Acoustica Instruments is not meant to be an in-depth deep-sampled orchestral library. It's maybe one to two samples of RR per note, if even that. You will not get advanced articulations; they are a General MIDI synth library. Messiah is an 80's synth recreation. It will not accurately sound like a real-world flute. Don't expect it to.