Missing sounds

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ron-e-g

Re: Missing sounds

Post by ron-e-g »

Thanks Anorax, I did download the MVP Sounds again "after" those screen shots you mention. I'm ready to move on..no biggie. Just thought it would be nice to know, what possible conditions might cause this... for future reference when maybe it is a biggie. :D
"The Older I Get The Better I Was!"
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Find that loop in Mixcraft's library and see if you can play it. Maybe it just needs to download.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ADM

Post by ADM »

Wow! I didn't even know about these samples... and they're FREE!!! :shock: downloading them now :D
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

ADM wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:41 pm Wow! I didn't even know about these samples... and they're FREE!!! :shock: downloading them now :D
Yeah, and Acoustica has a FREE synth "Nightlife" too... Check it out: https://acoustica.com/mixcraft/extras/nightlife
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

jlouvar wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:38 am...... But to save a project, I click on the little floppy disk icon on the top of Mixcraft because it keeps all the files together.......
Well, sorry but this may not be a good tip at all, as it may lead to the primary misconception that is likely to be by far the greatest cause of "missing file" errors and "corrupted" or "broken" projects.

For what feels like the thousandth time.....
"Save" like any other Windows application-saves your current work, changes that were made since last opened, etc.
And "Save as" works very similarly but provides the opportunity to change the files name. Very handy for saving for example for saving a new "version" without overwriting the previous version.

NEITHER option helps "keep all the files together"
Unlike many Windows applications, the DAW is quite capable of reading files from various different locations, even across different drives.
It is entirely possible for example, to have a MX project file in one folder, audio recordings in an entirely different location, loops used from another, and samples from even a third location.
"Save" and "Save as" do not change this. In fact they simply save the instructions to find those files where they are.
Being unaware of this, and moving, editing, deleting, any changes that cause a different file path, migrating projects between computers, etc. etc. will "break" your project and result in the common "unable to locate" error in question in the OP's problem.
There is a special save function that will copy all those stray files into the project folder. And no matter how many times it is pointed out, there is still a steady stream of people who have this problem. So we repeat it......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Mark Bliss wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:08 pmWell, sorry but this may not be a good tip at all, as it may lead to the primary misconception that is likely to be by far the greatest cause of "missing file" errors and "corrupted" or "broken" projects. <Snip>
Okay, thanks for the correction Mark... Should I use "Copy Project Files To" to keep all the files together? :?:
- Joe -

Anorax

Post by Anorax »

jlouvar wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:37 pm
Mark Bliss wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:08 pmWell, sorry but this may not be a good tip at all, as it may lead to the primary misconception that is likely to be by far the greatest cause of "missing file" errors and "corrupted" or "broken" projects. <Snip>
Okay, thanks for the correction Mark... Should I use "Copy Project Files To" to keep all the files together? :?:
If you're doing archival stuff or moving between computers, yes, always.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Anorax wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:19 pm If you're doing archival stuff or moving between computers, yes, always.
Okay, but if I'm not doing archival stuff or moving between computers, etc, and just want to make sure loops, samples, audio files, etc, don't end up missing in a project (keep all the files together)... Should I use "Copy Project Files To" instead of just clicking on the little floppy disk icon?
- Joe -

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

In short, yes. If you are creating a project using any assets from outside the project folder. Yes. Always.

I will fully admit to being "more than a little" OCD about this.
Most of my own projects begin and remain fully contained, with all assets within the project folder at all times.
If I ever run across an exception, mine or others, I import a copy of any files as necessary.

And most importantly, I'd wager very few of these problems would ever have a chance to occur except for not doing this.....
Trust me, I learned this the hard way......

As a result, the project folder is self contained and will open and run on any computer with your daw and plug ins installed. And saving a copy (of the project folder, not just the project file- another common mistake) to a back up drive = archived.

(Additional hint, archiving "stems" or bounced track versions eliminates even the plug in requirement, and can be opened in the future regardless of specific DAW as well.)
Gotta be prepared if the project is "precious" to you.....
Last edited by Mark Bliss on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Okay, thank you... From now on I'll save all my work/projects with the "Copy Project Files To" instead of just clicking on the little floppy disk icon. The last thing I want is missing files, errors, corrupted or broken projects. Thanks a million. :D
- Joe -

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

But if all the assets are in the folder.....
Clicking "save" to save any changes to your project does the necessary job.

Understand?

My pointer is specifically about the common cause of problems like the OP's where assuming clicking "save" could be insufficient.
Many people work in a manner where nothing else is necessary.....
You need to be aware of the difference.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Mark Bliss wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:00 pm<Snip> Understand?
<Snip> You need to be aware of the difference.
Hmm, well I guess I don't fully understand... But ALWAYS using the "Copy Project Files To" instead of clicking on the little floppy disk icon to be extra safe won't/can't hurt anything... Right?
- Joe -

jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

BUMP... Yes, No?
- Joe -

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Always? No.
Again, depends on project specifics. Some people never need to. Some might need to once, for example when they are at a project stage where composition/arrangement is done, and the project is ready for mixing. Varies all over the place.
If all the project assets are in the project folder, just hitting save as you suggested is fine for saving your progress.

The point is....
The OP is experiencing missing files. If at some point he had used the "copy project files to" function, that problem would very likely have never occurred. Because there would be a copy of the needed files in the project folder.
And advising that using the "save" button would help is potentially misleading at best....

Bottom line, if your project is organized fully in its own folder, the OP's problem is very unlikely to occur. Many people save files to the desktop, use loops or samples from third party folders etc, unaware....
Causing the frequent threads about "missing sounds"

Its 4pm, do you know where your sounds are? :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Okay, thank you Mark, I think I fully understand now... So the OP's missing MVP file problem was most likely caused because they moved the location of the MVP file.
Last edited by jlouvar on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- Joe -