Where would a memory upgrade help?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Where would a memory upgrade help?

Post by BillW »

My "new" computer (actually a refurbed i5-gen 3) has 8 GB.

Upgradable to 32

Where would I notice a difference? Thinking of adding 16 - the way it's configed that would give me 20 (it has four banks of 2 now - and from everything I read I can put in memory on any of those slots, don't have to worry about matched pairs.)

I assume it would help process real time as I listen/mix and no need to freeze. But I was doing fine with that in my old machine with 8; I guess I don't have a huge amount of tracks /effects.

I notice it takes a while to load projects in MX9 compared to before - not sure why but not surprising either. Would more memory help there. Where else?

Obviously I don't want to spend the money if it's not going to make a huge impact (for me personally that is given I don't seem to be pushing MX all that much as it is)
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Anorax

Re: Where would a memory upgrade help?

Post by Anorax »

More memory is most useful if you're someone who works a lot with sample libraries (namely Kontakt libraries) - some libraries can be as much as a gigabyte or two for a single instrument, and the more libraries you pull into a single project the more memory you need to play the project.

You also may find yourself running out of memory if you use a lot of samples, but that shouldn't take as much memory as the Kontakt libraries scenario.
outteh

Post by outteh »

And, if you still use 32 bit vst's, it takes more memory to make these work in 64 bit environment. 16 gig should be way plenty to do most anything. Also check out how windows set up your memory access usage. Sometimes it puts aside more than is needed. And if you don't have an ssd drive get one instead of more memory. Big difference in speed. I see your I5 is also a celeron processor, which is dual core, not quad core. It's capable but older than what is being put out today. Assume you are using Win 10, 64 bit OS and Mixcraft 64 bit? :D
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Gotta change my signature - That PC went to be with the angels long ago :D
Currently have a refurbished Dell with i5 3.3 Ghz dual core and only 4 gig of RAM. Perfect for my use and handles a 68 track project without any hiccups at all. 8)
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
BillW

Post by BillW »

I need to update my signature too.

It's an Intel Core i5-3470 at 3.2GHz
Quad core according to Intels website

Very old but MUCH faster than what I had before. The entire machine cost $150

I had to replace my file server (for video) which was a 15 year old eMachine that could not run Win10 and Win7 support ends this month.

So I bought this machine, then moved my current older Win10 machine to file server duty

I do use Kontakt libraries (horns right now, maybe I'll get others depending on sales) so that suggestion makes sense.

Yes - a SSD is on my "think about it" list too
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Probably doesn't need to be said, but a memory upgrade would help if someone's computer only had 4 GB. In that case, there's no advantage to using 64-bit applications.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101