Mixcraft and Zoom LiveTrak L-20, no audio output

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Clark W

Mixcraft and Zoom LiveTrak L-20, no audio output

Post by Clark W »

Currently test driving Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio trial version.

First I have to say, this is about as easy as it gets.

But...

I'm running a Zoom LiveTrak L-20 board via Zoom Asio Drivers.
When doing this I get the recorded audio from the board into Mixcraft no problem.

The problem is when I want to play back what has been recorded in Mixcraft. There is no audio without me going into settings and switching the sound over to the computer. Not a deal breaker by any means. But what I would like to be able to do is leave my input to Zoom's ASIO driver and change the output to the standard driver for windows output so I can set it and forget it.

Is there a way to do this in the version 9 Recording Studio Edition?

Is there way to do this in the version 9 Pro Studio Edition?

I'm buying one or the other regardless when my 14 day trial is up.

Edited to add one more question
Does the Pro Version have all of the same effects as the Recording Studio version?
The amount of guitar effects alone in "Recording Studio" is mind blowing.
Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft and Zoom LiveTrak L-20, no audio output

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Clark, and welcome!

One of the side effects of using ASIO drivers is that it overides or disables other sound devices to focus resources for low latency recording capability.
The practical solution in your case is probably to configure monitoring off your board.
I have never used the Zoom, but I assume you can route your DAW output back to the board and set up monitoring outputs from it.

As to the question about versions, the Pro Studio version is the exact same software, with additional bundled plug-ins.
Comparison chart: https://acoustica.com/mixcraft/compare-chart
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Clark W

Post by Clark W »

Mark Bliss wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:36 am Hi Clark, and welcome!

One of the side effects of using ASIO drivers is that it overides or disables other sound devices to focus resources for low latency recording capability.
The practical solution in your case is probably to configure monitoring off your board.
I have never used the Zoom, but I assume you can route your DAW output back to the board and set up monitoring outputs from it.

As to the question about versions, the Pro Studio version is the exact same software, with additional bundled plug-ins.
Comparison chart: https://acoustica.com/mixcraft/compare-chart
Well for now I'm monitoring the recording in Mixcraft via a set of studio grade headphones running from my board. This allows me to hear exactly what the board is putting out and if I want to make any changes to what Mixcraft is recording I do it there on the board since it is the source. I do all of this of course under the Zoom Asio driver so I can keep the tracks as individual tracks inside of Mixcraft and assigned accordingly since I have 20 tracks available via the board. This works well for me. This also allows me to keep original copies of all the tracks at the board. Don't worry, before I ever start anything I back those up to 3 different hard drives. I'm not getting caught with my pants down on a system crash, hard drive crash, sd card crash, etc...

Anyway, from there, once I'm done recording into Mixcraft, I then switch the drivers over so the audio is now coming out of speakers via the computer's sound card. I need a set of studio grade monitors anyway and now I have an excuse to go buy some. :mrgreen:
The current set I'm using is a pair of Altec Lansings with a subwoofer that are at least 15 years old and tend to project more bass which can lead one to actually overcompensate and take out too much bass in the mix.

Doing it this way is all pretty simple, works, and I'll be fine with that. Don't have to worry about any latency issues doing it that way either.

Back to the software itself. As you know I was pretty awed by all the plugins. But the real test came this morning, editing. Wow!
I've been a big user of Vegas in video editing for over 15 years now. Editing in MC is very similar, but even better, easier, and more powerful.
Add MC's ridiculously low price point to all of that, I'm definitely sold and will be getting the Pro version when my trial runs out. No need to throw away the 28 days of free trial use that I have left. By the time those are up I should be a pro at this. Heck it makes me sound like a pro now after only two days whereas other programs out there have left me struggling.

My band and I are actually re recording our version of Jimi Hendrix's "Foxy Lady" that we did last weekend, mainly to clean up some of our playing and tighten it up some. Can't wait to get back home with it and in MC tonight.
FlBandDude

Post by FlBandDude »

I’m running same board and mixcraft 8. Can’t get L20 to even work or sync up. How did u manage that? Mixer won’t even export into mixcraft
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

FlBandDude wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:51 pm I’m running same board and mixcraft 8. Can’t get L20 to even work or sync up. How did u manage that? Mixer won’t even export into mixcraft
Hi,

Go to Zoom's web page to download and install the latest Windows driver for the L-20: https://zoomcorp.com/

Look for the download section.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101