Volume Issue - Reload Library - Notes aren't played

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

UilleannB

Volume Issue - Reload Library - Notes aren't played

Post by UilleannB »

That's a bit difficult, I'll try to describe.

I have an issue with the volume of a track. For reasons unknown the instrument (Violin in Kontakt) became almost mute. Almost means, if I turn my speaker up to the max and raise the track volume to 6 DB, it is there - barely perceivable. I didn't clicked anything (knowingly) so I don't know when and how this happened. I'm unable to reproduce or reverse it. I checked all places that could set a volume - the master volume, the track volume, the individual note, the Kontakt sampler ... There is no effect on that track either.

Now, if clear and reload the instrument in Kontakt, the normal volume is there again, when I play the key on the keyboard. But it doesn't play the notes already recorded in the track, if I hit play. (This also happened before when I copy notes from one track - f.e. the piano track for the main tune - and then try to paste it into a specific instrument's track.) Are there settings to the individual notes that have to be switched to be "accepted" by another instrument, another midi channel, etc?
Anorax

Re: Volume Issue - Reload Library - Notes aren't played

Post by Anorax »

Just a thought, try fiddling with the mod wheel.
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Anorax wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:44 pmJust a thought, try fiddling with the mod wheel.
Thanks. Of course, I checked that too, but it wasn't the reason. As well as volume/velocity (some instruments interpret stronger hit of the key not louder, but with a different sample), but that's not it.
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

So I found out when it happens, but not why and how to revert.
I use this Kontakt library "Emotional violin > Intimate violin". When I load it, I can just play it fine, but once I hit the play button and it is plazed with another instrument, it's volume is set to a minimum. Except, I don't see any change anywhere, so I don't know where to make it louder again. This also happens if I open a complete new track, or do it in a complete new song. Might be the VST instrument or Mixcraft, but since it happens with other Kontakt instruments too, I think it maybe is MC.

volume.jpg
volume.jpg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Does the volume drop happen on the Mixcraft faders or inside kontakt?
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Anorax wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:57 pmDoes the volume drop happen on the Mixcraft faders or inside kontakt?
I cannot tell, because none of the places where I would adjust it shows something.
I tried to recreate the situation, opened a new song without tracks, just opened two new fresh instruments, piano and violin, and this occurs again. (No send track used, no mixing done yet, just enter notes via keyboard). So far it seems to happen to Kontakt instruments, but I cannot tell where the issue lies.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

And again, mod wheel doesn't do anything?

I only ask because I've had a handful of kontakt libraries where the internal "Dynamics" were mapped to the mod wheel.
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Anorax wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:38 am And again, mod wheel doesn't do anything? I only ask because I've had a handful of kontakt libraries where the internal "Dynamics" were mapped to the mod wheel.
I know what you mean. No, it isn't the mod wheel, and I think now it isn't Kontakt either. I reinstalled Mixcraft 8 Pro and tried to reproduce the same error. Kontakt Libraries work flawless in MC8Pro, so I guess it is some issue with MC9 (the Kontakt VSTs also load much faster in MC8). I would love to continue my current project in MC8, but mx9 files seem not downward compatible. Seems I to have to wait until it is fixed.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Maybe it's a midi send issue. Try setting each track to a different midi channel? :)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Is there a volume CC message?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Hi.
Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:36 pmIs there a volume CC message?
No, I checked this already. The only events in this and the other instruments with which it happens are velocity on and off.

I just load the song, and it plays. Then I turn on or off a loop, or I mute a track temporary, or edit something and start playing it from the beginning, and some track is not audible anymore.
Attachments
MidiEvents.jpg
MidiEvents.jpg (100.41 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Due to the corona situation I couldn't check this for a while. In the meantime two updates came out. I am not at home, but installed Mixcraft as well as Kontakt 6 on another computer, so it is completely new and different hardware. The problem persists, and I have no idea why it happens, just that it happens with Kontakt, but different libraries. The example I send you before seemed to happen with Amadeus on my desktop, now I tried to compose on another computer a track where I loaded Chris Hein Ensemble Strings and 8dios Silka. I played the track for about 1 Minute, stopped it and tried to play it again from the beginning. So literally just these three clicks: stop, rewind to the beginning, play. Nothing else done. The Silka choir is suddenly set to a barely audible whisper. Nothing seem to have changed in the events. If I check Kontakt it looks the same. I can pull up the master volume to 9+ db to hear it again, but that's not a good way to do it. As said, different systems, different libraries, the only common point seems to be it happens when using Kontakt 6 (full and newest version).
dimitreze

Post by dimitreze »

I had the same problem recently.
I managed to fix by drawing on the volume level.
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

dimitreze wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:24 pm I had the same problem recently.
I managed to fix by drawing on the volume level.
I tried this.It has a minimal effect. But I have to turn up Mixcraft master volume to plus 6 db, Kontakt to 12 DB max, and it is barely hearable.
Also not a good idea, I had another VST with the Engine2 library which still has the normal volume.

Another composition ruined, because I pressed crtl+s for quick save. Right now I have to save the track every damn time under a different name to prevent accidentally having it changed without knowing how to turn it back. This is such a bummer, especially since I have no idea what causes this ... Didn't finished a single track since changing to MC9PS, most VSTs are Kontakt ... /rant
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Send us a simple project file that illustrates the problem and we'll check it out. Submit an Acoustica Support Request.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101