Recording 78s

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Don Hall

Recording 78s

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
First let me thank you for the program. It has some flaws but as for recording 78's it could not be better.
I used this great old Brunswick record to test the program. Jack Teagarden playing St. James Infirmary never sounded better.

As someone who has been playing and transfering 78s since as far back as I can remember, if you don't mind, I would like to pass on some hints to anyone trying to play and copy 78s who isn't used to doing it.

First - You cannot get good results unless you use a cartridge and stylus that is meant for 78s. The light flexible stylus used for 33 1/3 does not work properly. The music grove is too wide and the stylus should be solid in the groove not flexible.

Second - The tone arm needs to be heavier. Just imagine the players of old with the big crome arms. I add a quarter to the top of the cartridge holder and cartridge plug [P2 arm].

Third - Check your Stylus. 78s are mono, so it's easy to test the stylus as both input sides should be equal on the monitor. I used this method to test my 45/331/3 stylus using a mono LP. It needed replacing.

Fourth - Don't use any chemical on 78s. The usual cleaning formulas will just wipe away the music.

Thanks for the opportunity and thre program

Don
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You're welcome. Thank you for the great tips!

Greg