HUI Protocol and MCC Support within Mixcraft

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Anorax

HUI Protocol and MCC Support within Mixcraft

Post by Anorax »

Hi,

It's to my understanding that Mixcraft does not currently support the HUI protocol (which is apparently a separate protocol from MCU, which Mixcraft does support). Some devices, like the Novation Impulse keyboards, are HUI-compatible (see the Novation Impulse user guide, page 29 - apparently the Impulse automatically recognizes the HUI heartbeat from a DAW and enables/disables HUI mode depending on the existence of said heartbeat), but appear to not work with Mixcraft's Mackie control surface preset. Could future builds of Mixcraft support the HUI protocol?

On a separate note, the Impulse has transport control buttons that can either transmit MIDI Machine Control (MCC) or CC messages over MIDI, but Mixcraft only supports CC-in. Is it possible for Mixcraft to support MIDI Machine Control messages in the future?
Acoustica Greg

Re: HUI Protocol and MCC Support within Mixcraft

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

HUI is closely related to Mackie control. What happens when you try Mackie control with the Impulse?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Anorax

Re: HUI Protocol and MCC Support within Mixcraft

Post by Anorax »

The Impulse has a HUI communication light on its display screen, and it does not light up when using either Logic Control or Mackie Control in Mixcraft. It does light up when I open Ableton, although that may be due to a custom Ableton Live integration rather than HUI.

EDIT: It seems that the User Guide was updated last Autumn, to coincide with a HUI-related firmware update for the Impulse. I'll test that a bit before I comment further.

EDIT 2:Ok, so the firmware update adds two new virtual MIDI ports to the Impulse in order to handle HUI on the device itself. It seems that when you engage Mackie Control or Logic Control (using the new virtual ports as the in- and outputs), the Impulse recognizes some sort of connection for about 5 seconds, but then times out due to a lack of HUI heartbeat and reverts to standard MIDI operation (but if any sliders or knobs get moved during that time period, Mixcraft begins to act weird, might need to make a video but clearly Mackie Control doesn't like regular HUI input). MOTU's Digital Performer has a HUI control surface mode that is separate from its Mackie Control control surface mode, and when the Impulse is properly connected it maintains its HUI connection (I assume due to the heartbeat) and the Impulse can control the transport and mixer as expected.