Need a good cello

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Etheric Hz

Need a good cello

Post by Etheric Hz »

Hello all. Please help. I am looking for a good cello easy to use for Mixcraft. Unfortunately Mixcraft's cello leaves my listeners with earaches. I love it and all Mixcraft instruments, but my listeners think it is grating, unnatural and hurts the brain. I have been told I need a more natural sounding cello. I would like advice on good cellos compatible with Mixcraft, as well as any tips on how to make Mixcraft's cello sound better. Like what effects. I have MC Pro 9. As a caveat, Mixcraft is the best DAW I have ever used. Thank you Mixcraft!
jlouvar

Re: Need a good cello

Post by jlouvar »

Etheric Hz wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:35 pm Hello all. Please help. I am looking for a good cello easy to use for Mixcraft. Unfortunately Mixcraft's cello leaves my listeners with earaches. I love it and all Mixcraft instruments, but my listeners think it is grating, unnatural and hurts the brain. I have been told I need a more natural sounding cello. I would like advice on good cellos compatible with Mixcraft, as well as any tips on how to make Mixcraft's cello sound better. Like what effects. I have MC Pro 9. As a caveat, Mixcraft is the best DAW I have ever used. Thank you Mixcraft!
Hello and welcome to Acoustica forums.

I think the VSTi Cello provided with Acoustica Mixcraft 9 sounds fantastic with a good surface controller. But for the most natural sounding cello sound you need to record with a real physical cello.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

What is your budget? There are several good VST cellos out there. I think Sweetwater has a good selection to choose from. You might want to look into AudioModeling’s SWAM Solo Cello. I think it’s $120, and damn does it sound good. It’s physical modeling.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Hopefully it's OK to suggest this, but I would post something on gearslutz.com.

It may be overkill but you might consider an entire strings library vs just a cello, much more bang for your buck that way, and maybe more functionality too (articulations etc).
Bret Seckinger

Post by Bret Seckinger »

Just get a few quality sounds from splice and throw them in your DAW for further tweaking. Lots of quality sounds there so I'm sure you'll find something for cello too.
liberaltugboat

Post by liberaltugboat »

What notes are you playing the cello at? The range on a cello is C2-E6, anything outside of that is going to sound bad.