VST3 to VST (Izotopes)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Kuba W

VST3 to VST (Izotopes)

Post by Kuba W »

Hi.

I have recently run through some crashes of Nectar2 and some other Izotope plug-ins.

The suspicion went towards VST3 versions of above.

I have completely replaced the VST3 fx chain (RX Dialogue - Neutron - Nectar2 - Neutron) with the same VST chain on duplicated track.

I have recreated every single detail of each one of them, comparing them side by side.

Here's what I've got:
VST3.jpg
VST3.jpg (169.26 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
The bottom one is mix-to-new-track of the VST3 version. The top one is mix-to-new-track of recreated VST version.

The difference in sound is huge in favour of VST3.

I was pretty shure that the difference is only in the CPU consumption, but now I see they give different results too.

So the choice I have now is to carry on working with probably unstable VST3, or to start the mix again with VST.

Does anyone see another option?
Acoustica Greg

Re: VST3 to VST (Izotopes)

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Send in your log file if the VST3 crashes.

In regard to the difference between VST and VST3, are you sure you're comparing apples to apples? All factors are identical?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

I've checked it all few times already, can't spot any difference :?

There was not 'that' much to do, as I start with the presets and fine-tune them only at some sections.

The only plugin in the chain that was not showing me exact numbers is RX Dialogue, so I have saved it as preset and opened in new.

I went through all sections of all plugins with VST opened next to VST3.

I shouldn't give my hand for that, as the human factor is always tricky and possible, but yes, all factors are identical...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What difference do you hear?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

The bottom VST3 is cleaner, the top VST is visibly 'louder' but in fact is only more of a hiss(?).

It's unpleasant comparing to v3.
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

Problem (partially) solved.

In short: the track was cursed! :lol:

Full story:
(I have almost finished the song using previous lucky 'mixdown to new' vocals from that problematic VST3 track.)

Then in another project I've recreated the VST3 fx chain --> VST fx chain too.

The mixdowns of both were identical, as they supposed to be. So I came back to the nasty project and mixed down VST version again.

What was different than normal (apart of bad sound), is that mixeddown wav was not beginning at the same point, but at the bar 1.

Like some extra signal was given to the track (however the 'extra' part was silent).

SO: The original VST3 track and all duplicates of it were likely to freeze/silence audio.
The duplicate with fx replaced to VST wasn't freezing but gave me the wrong mixdowns.

The solution was not to duplicate it anymore, but I just made a new track, recreated fx chain and settings and copied all clips.

Now the VST mixdown is identical to VST3 mixdown.

What's more, I still have some VST3 here and there in othr projects and they seem to keep working fine by now.

But just for the peace of mind, every new one I open is VST 8)