I've been away too long and Kontakt is speeding past

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

clavguy

I've been away too long and Kontakt is speeding past

Post by clavguy »

Sooo

I have full Kontakt 5. If I remember Chibear (Clyde... is he still aound?) did a lot of work here with Kontakt. I asked him way back then if it was worth upgrading to 5.1 or whatever at the time and he advised against it.
Now a lot of time has gone by and Kontakt is at verions 6 and now I am a big boy running Windows 10 Pro. I am going to pose it to all of you. Is it worth the upgrade because from what I hear it's a one way street?
Will I be able to run my existing Sonokinetic and Project Sam instruments in version 6?

I don't plan on designing instruments so I am no so sure i need that expanded feature of 6. What I have now is working good. A friend once said "if it's not broken don't fix it" but the engineer in me says... It's a new toy

Sooooo are any of you running Kontakt 6? and what is your impression?

Cheers
Pierre
chibear

Re: I've been away too long and Kontakt is speeding past

Post by chibear »

I've moved on but come back for an occasional visit :wink:

I have upgraded to Kontakt 6 (on sale, of course) but also have kept 5 because some of the new libraries that I have and some I desire will only work in Kontakt 6. On the other hand there are some libraries written in Kontakt 5 that won't work in Kontakt 6 (some of Kirk Hunter's stuff for instance).

That being said, the Kontakt 6 libraries I have are also available for the Kontakt 6 Player which is free; however all the free and cheap libraries that only work in the full version do not work in the player.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

You should be fine for many years to come with Kontakt 5. The only libraries that may not work are those released after Kontakt 6's release (that take advantage of its newer features).

Bottom line, with Kontakt 5, you'll never lose any of the functionality that you have now.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

chibear wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:19 pm ... On the other hand there are some libraries written in Kontakt 5 that won't work in Kontakt 6 (some of Kirk Hunter's stuff for instance).
Yikes! That is not how it's supposed to work. I have tons of pre-K6 Kontakt libraries (that go back to K2), and they all work fine in K5.

I took a quick look at some of Kirk Hunter's newer libraries, and the newest system requirements specify version 5.7.1. (A few others only require a lower version, 5.4.1).

So if you've not updated to Kontakt v5.7.1 then yes, you may run into problems. If you have at least 5.7.1 and are still having problems, you should report it to Kirk Hunter. Then again, he's currently doing a "Going out of business" sale, so that may not get your issues resolved...