VST presets handling

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

herodotas

VST presets handling

Post by herodotas »

Please, rework VST presets handling, which is broken and terrible at the moment. It would be amazing if you fix all bugs and add ability to load not only .fxb, but .fxp to, and save presets (.fxp) and banks (.fxb) to any choosen folder.
Acoustica Greg

Re: VST presets handling

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What do you mean when you say it's broken? What are you trying to do, exactly?

Which preset interface as you using? Mixcraft's or the plugin's own preset interface? If you're using the former, try using the latter.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
herodotas

Post by herodotas »

Hi,
broken means presets interface not work or work in wrong way in many plugins especially with internal presets browsers. For example with OBXD synth any preset choosen from internal bank turns in to default preset in Mixcraft, in others plugin ALBINO3 can't scroll presets with mouse or if I can this do not work properly, I cant load any bank in Voyager vst in some SyntEdit synths (I use some from KRAKLI) Mixcraft interface do not sync to plugin interface and VV, problems in KarmaFX and maybe can find more, but not this time. I tested all plugins which have problems in Mixcraft with other hosts (renoise, cakewalk, tracktion, Openmpt) and only in Mixcraft not work properly.
And I do not undestand why I cant save VST banks, only load, and why I cant save presets and banks in any place I want?

P.S. Sometimes if I trying load another plugin after plugin with broken preset handling, Mixcraft crashes.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

For example with OBXD synth any preset choosen from internal bank turns in to default preset in Mixcraft
So, in this case, the problem is that Mixcraft's preset list doesn't match the plugin's preset list? The preset still works, right?
in others plugin ALBINO3 can't scroll presets with mouse or if I can this do not work properly
And it works properly in other programs? What happens when you try to scroll with a mouse?

In general, keep in mind that plugins are software programs, and if we didn't create the plugin, we have no control over how they work with presets.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Not sure what the problem is, but it's extremely unlikely that it's Mixcraft. I just tried OB-xd as a test and was able to create, save, and load presets just fine. And saving presets is something that is controlled by the plugin, not the DAW.

I have used many, many plugins, not to mention DAWs, and have never run into anything as you describe with presets not working. Don't get me wrong, I believe you, not saying it never happens, just saying this sounds extremely unusual and could be an indicator of some other issue with your system.
herodotas

Post by herodotas »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:46 pm
For example with OBXD synth any preset choosen from internal bank turns in to default preset in Mixcraft
So, in this case, the problem is that Mixcraft's preset list doesn't match the plugin's preset list? The preset still works, right?
But, this is bug and preset not work, only default patch. It is not about preset loading with some trouble it's about Mixcraft presets handling not works well. Or it's normal to Mixcraft do not load preset or change to default. Maybe other hosts in which all works fine, not are so PRO, how Mixcraft is? How I can save it, if I want make bank for vst in Mixcraft?
Anyway, I have understood your position and see no need to continue it, thanks.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It took me a minute to figure out how to even load a preset with OBXD (you have to right-click).

When I select various presets for this plugin, they all sound different. When you say it only loads the default patch, what do you mean?

Greg
herodotas

Post by herodotas »

I know about right click, but after bank is loaded, if you will try load preset with Mixcraft interface, you always will get default preset with default sound.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If I save the project, it saves the preset I have chosen. Is it not working that way for you? I notice that the Bank setting reverts after closing the project and opening it again, but the Programs setting stays the same. it works this way in Reaper as well.

Greg
herodotas

Post by herodotas »

1 pic. I choose bank
2 pic. I choose preset
3. pic. result
Attachments
MX1.jpg
MX1.jpg (437.63 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
MX2.jpg
MX2.jpg (424.7 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
MX3.jpg
MX3.jpg (432.83 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Okay, so the issue is that you want Mixcraft's preset to reflect the plugin's own preset setting. It already does that if the plugin exposes the presets to the host program. If the plugin doesn't expose the presets, then there's no way for Mixcraft to display them. For plugins like OB-Xd, you just need to use the preset interface for the plugin. You might try contacting the maker of the plugin and ask them to make it so that host software can read the presets.

Greg
herodotas

Post by herodotas »

Other hosts perfectly read OBXD presets, Mixcraft not. I don't understand why you try to convince me it is not Mixcraft fault. Mixcraft presets handling is poorest from all others hosts I try. And I don't try to insult Mixcraft team, I only ask to pay attention for. Mixcraft is a good DAW anyway.
And please, answer to me, how I can save .fxb with Mixcraft?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

herodotas wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:00 pm Other hosts perfectly read OBXD presets, Mixcraft not. I don't understand why you try to convince me it is not Mixcraft fault. Mixcraft presets handling is poorest from all others hosts I try. And I don't try to insult Mixcraft team, I only ask to pay attention for. Mixcraft is a good DAW anyway.
And please, answer to me, how I can save .fxb with Mixcraft?
Hi,

When I open OB-Xd in Reaper, the Reaper interface doesn't show any presets for it either. I have to load the presets the same way I do in Mixcraft.

There's no option to create .fxb files, but you can load them.

Greg
herodotas

Post by herodotas »

You are wrong, I can load presets from reaper interface.
Attachments
reaper.jpg
reaper.jpg (334.39 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Okay, I see how it works now - you have to use the plugin's interface to choose the preset, and then Reaper's interface also displays the presets. This doesn't work with the VST3 version.

Thank you for your feedback, I'll pass it along!

Greg