Audio files force CPU to 30%

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Don't B FLat

Audio files force CPU to 30%

Post by Don't B FLat »

I've been having a problem for a little while now. I'm using Mixcraft 9 Pro build 452. Whenever I load in an audio file, weather its from a sample pack, the Mixcraft audio library, or Freesound, my computer CPU jumps to 30% or so. The screen also lags considerably. I have a custom built computer running an Intel i5-7600, 16 GB of Ram, and SSD storage. Is this a bug or something that I can fix? Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Re: Audio files force CPU to 30%

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Go into Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences and make sure that you do not have "Force Single CPU" selected. If you do, turn it off and restart Mixcraft.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Don't B FLat

Post by Don't B FLat »

The box has always been unchecked. Anything else I can try?
Don't B FLat

Post by Don't B FLat »

I think I found the issue. I'm currently running Mixcraft on two monitors. When I have the windows split between them, it causes the lag. When I force everything onto one screen, it drastically reduces the lag. Is this a bug or just a problem with my computer? Currently, I'm using the default outputs on my motherboard without an external graphics card. Here's a video detailing the event.: https://youtu.be/X16wuV26bKw
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

For best results get an interface. Not knowing what your specs are I'm willing to bet your pc is having trouble doing extra monitor and audio processing.

M
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Huh, I've never noticed an increase in CPU when using dual monitors. Maybe try updating your video card's graphics driver?

Greg
CazaroTaro

Post by CazaroTaro »

I noticed what Don’t B Flat describes when working on a project a few days ago. I have taken some time to look further into the matter.

I am using Mixcraft 9 Pro, build 452 on two computers:

1. i7 cpu desktop with 16 GB ram, two monitors, NVidia graphics card, Scarlett 2i2 2nd generation audio interface.
2. A 10 year old laptop with 6 GB ram, Pentium II cpu. Onboard graphics and audio. The laptop was operated using the external power supply.

My test method was to use two audio clips from the Mixcraft library: Jet Commercial Takeoff 5 and Drop 2 (by Shok). Jet Commercial Takeoff 5 does not have a tempo associated with it, Drop 2 has a tempo of 130 bpm associated with it. No idea if this is important.

These audio clips were inserted on separate audio tracks in the same instance of Mixcraft 9. The audio clips did not overlap. No other audio or MIDI was present in the project. The clips were played with the Details pane undocked and docked. The cpu usage as displayed by the CPU Mixcraft indicator in the bottom right of the main screen was recorded.

In my testing, I found that cpu usage rises during clip playback if the Details pane is undocked particularly for the Drop 2 clip , whether undocked to a second monitor, or undocked and remaining on the same monitor as the main screen of Mixcraft.

Initial results for i7 cpu desktop system

Jet Commercial Takeoff 5
Docked: 0%
Undocked: 4%

Drop 2
Docked: 0%
Undocked: 11%

Results for the Pentium II laptop

Jet Commercial Takeoff 5
Docked: 2%
Undocked: 2%

Drop 2
Docked: 5%
Undocked: 40%

Interestingly, if the audio clips where played multiple times, the cpu usage tended to fall over time until there was little difference between docked and undocked. I have tried other audio clips from the library with similar results.

I can’t say definitively that there is a software bug in Mixcraft 9, build 452, but I do believe that the observation by Don’t B Flat is valid, and deserves to be looked into further.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It’s natural for additional processes to require additional processing time. The video card and the processing power of the video card would obviously have a big impact on this issue. Updating the video card driver would definitely be worth trying; we’ve actually seen this help out with audio problems in the past.

Greg
CazaroTaro

Post by CazaroTaro »

Can you replicate my observations? Can other readers replicate this problem?

For what it is worth, Mixcraft 8.1, build 418 does not show this effect when run on the same computer.
Savannahrenovations

Post by Savannahrenovations »

I have the same problem my pc:
i7-8700k CPU
64 GB of Ram

Mixcraft 9 Pro latest build.
Load anything from the library (drum loop), CPU Mixcraft 10% , System 28-30% While loop is running. Stop playing CPU Mixcraft 0% System 10%

Everything just stutters like the system is overloaded. I get a similar situation when I have say 30-40 tracks with effects and Izotope mastering running...but I guess that is kinda expected.

Mixcraft 8 does not have this issue.
Savannahrenovations

Post by Savannahrenovations »

Whoa...I think I might have stumbled across something! I added a drum track and tested again. High CPU usage as the new normal (about 30%) I froze the track and it fixed it. Then I unfroze the track and everything was fine!

Weird...but it works! At least on my end.
CazaroTaro

Post by CazaroTaro »

I did some more testing and found that increased cpu use when playing an audio clip in Mixcraft 9 occurs only if the Details pane is undocked AND the Library tab is selected.

Selecting the Project, Sound, or Mixer tab eliminates the high cpu use during playback.

Once again, this is in a new Mixcraft 9 project devoid of anything but the audio clip.

My audio and video drivers are up to date.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Which element of the library do you have displayed? For example, if you were on Freesounds.org, you'd be accessing the Internet.

Greg
CazaroTaro

Post by CazaroTaro »

I had the Mixcraft sound library (open book symbol) selected in the Library tab.

I tried selecting the Local Folder, FreeSounds, and Favorite elements. The results are:

i7 system: Mixcraft library and Local Folder (folder symbol) elements selected cause increase cpu use, FreeSounds and Favorites elements do not cause increased cpu use. I have many samples in my Local Folder.

Pentium II laptop: Mixcraft library element only caused increased cpu use. However, I have NO sample folders on the laptop.

I tested with and without my internet connection active. No difference.

I downloaded beta build 454 (64 bit) onto my laptop and tested that. It behaves the same as build 452 (64 bit).
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I was able to try it with dual monitors. I'm not noticing a bunch of extra CPU, but I'm noticing a lot of graphic jumpiness (not audio), when I have the details tab undocked and the library displayed. If I switch to the mixer or whatever, it stops.

Thanks for reporting this!

Greg