Connecting USB Mic

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Freerskier

Connecting USB Mic

Post by Freerskier »

Hi,

What preferences do I need to set so that I can see a USB (Blue) mic in MIxcraft 8.

I have a focusrite scarlett with as my audio interface and the Blue mic plugged into a spare USB on the PC. However, I cant see where in Preferences I can get mixcraft to see the mic., even though when I plug the mic in MIxcraft says it has detected a new device.
Mark Bliss

Re: Connecting USB Mic

Post by Mark Bliss »

Have you tried it with the Focusrite unplugged?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Do you meant just to test Mark? ...as operationally I'd want it all plugged in at once of course.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

To get this to work, you couldn't use ASIO mode in Mixcraft's sound device preferences. One of the ways ASIO provides superior performance is that it's focused on one piece of hardware at a time.

I have a Blue microphone that's useless to me, because it only works with Windows XP. :x

Hopefully, you don't have one of those old ones.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I have a usb mic and an interface, and I have never gotten satisfactory functionality from both simultaniously. It just creates too many issues.
But yeah, as a test so to speak......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Its a Blue yeti and only 4 years old. Has worked all the time in all versions of mixcraft up till now with the scarlett.

If I unplug the scarlett then plug in the yeti its still not "Seeable" in mixcraft - although mixcraft does say that a new device is detected. So mixcraft knows its there but you can access it as preferences can only be set to one device. There should be a way to do this - there must be tons of folks out there using the scarlett - one of the most popular interfaces out there - and a USB mic. Kind of begs the question why have a USB mic with this set up at all?

Now... If I switch to Wave in in Sound Device then I can access the Yeti. Then you can record etc.

So it looks like thats the solution - switch between ASIO and Wave to use the USB mic.

Hey, Acoustica techs out there - could this be put on the list for a definite fix as its such a common set-up for a lot of people. Focusrite Scarlett and USB mic - just thinking of bloggers adn you tubers as well as musicians here.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

ASIO only seeing one device at a time is a feature, not a bug. You get lower latency that way.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

And thats not Mixcraft's "fault" its just the way the audio in PC's is configured. Best optimized for one audio device at a time.
Freerskier wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:35 pm Kind of begs the question why have a USB mic with this set up at all?
Yeah, that kind of is the question. Why use both?
Each is essentially a usb audio interface, designed for a purpose. The way I look at it they arent intended to be used together.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Freerskier wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:35 pmHey, Acoustica techs out there - could this be put on the list for a definite fix as its such a common set-up for a lot of people. Focusrite Scarlett and USB mic - just thinking of bloggers adn you tubers as well as musicians here.
It’s not a bug so it doesn’t need fixing, and most people using an external audio interface don’t use it with a USB microphone. I recommend getting a mic with a XLR cable.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Hey folks - was aware on how ASIO works and not thinking of this as a bug at all. Just that having the ability within mixcraft to address/see USB inputs to your PC outside of your external soundcard would be a real boon. To switch connections easily within the program would really aid workflow - juts thinking creatively here for all.

Might not just be microphones of course that attach via USB - really just a thought and not a criticism. Especially as, like me, peoples set-ups do change.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Freerskier wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:33 pm Do you meant just to test Mark? ...as operationally I'd want it all plugged in at once of course.
It's effectively a second sound card as far as MC is concerned. Since you cannot record from two separate sound cards simultaneously you are stumped. You should have got an XLR mic so that you can plug it into your sound card.
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Thanks aj113 - Ive had the mic for years - it was the other way around, I added the focusrite external interface and just wanted to carry on using existing equipment like the mic.

No worries.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

You haven't heard? Buying gear is fun! And can be oh so dangerous!

M
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Tell me about it - its an addiction I cant afford. Coffee now...
liberaltugboat

Post by liberaltugboat »

It is very possible to use two Audio interfaces at the same time using ASIO4ALL (in this situation you do lose the lower latency of the Focusrite ASIO, but the setup will still work with acceptable latency). ASIO4ALL does not lock input and output to a single active device. You can select inputs from one device and outputs from another. You just need to make sure to disable all extra inputs and outputs you are not using. I use this setup to input either from my Blue Yeti or Behringer UMC22 and output through AMD HD Audio. I have also used the Blue Yeti as the input and the Behringer as the Output and a couple of other weird setups.