Multiple USB inputs to Mixcraft 9 pro studio

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Orby48

Multiple USB inputs to Mixcraft 9 pro studio

Post by Orby48 »

I have 3 usb inputs for recording. Boss GT10 guitar effects processor that inputs properly.
Planning on using a Novation Launchkey MK2 midi for a controller.
Would like to use a Focusrite Scarlett generation 3 for vocal audio input with Shure SM48
Will Mixcraft allow this trio of inputs??
So far have linked the BossGT 10. Looking to purchase Focusrite and Launchkey MK2.
Any advice whether this is viable.
J. A. Orbison
guitfnky

Re: Multiple USB inputs to Mixcraft 9 pro studio

Post by guitfnky »

technically, yes, it should be possible. most discrete interfaces can’t be used simultaneously out of the box. usually you can only use one audio driver at a time, so you’d be limited to using the Boss processor as an interface, or using the Focusrite interface for vocals—you can easily switch between them in the DAW, but not use them simultaneously.

you can do it with another audio driver you can install called ASIO4ALL, which you can think of like a mixer that allows you to use multiple interfaces at the same time, using it (ASIO4ALL) as the common driver.

BUT there’s a caveat, in your case...Focusrite interfaces don’t play well with ASIO4ALL. you *may* be able to get it to work, but I wouldn’t count on it. I tried a similar setup with my Boss GT-1000, and Scarlett interface. it didn’t work (audio wasn’t glitchy, and unreliable, and I think I may have had a DAW crash in the process). Focusrite’s online documentation warns against using ASIO4ALL, and in my experience, for good reason.

so I would suggest either looking for a different brand of interface, if you need to use the Boss simultaneously, or alternatively, just use the audio outputs of the Boss to go into the Scarlett. as long as your interface has enough inputs to handle both the mic and the instrument inputs, you’re good to go.

as for the MIDI controller, that’s a different story (and good news)—you don’t need a separate driver or any other setup for that, no matter how many audio interfaces you have set up. MIDI is handled differently, and should be plug and play, more or less. I know the Novation Launchkeys do require some additional setup steps to be taken for certain DAWs, but once that’s done, you won’t have to worry about it again, unless/until you change computers.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Multiple USB inputs to Mixcraft 9 pro studio

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you're not worried about latency, then you could do this by choosing WaveRT or Wave.

ASIO limits you to one audio interface at a time, in order to provide the best audio performance. ASIO also gives you simultaneous multi-track recording from one interface.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101