ASIO, WaveRT, or regular Wave

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustic Guitar

ASIO, WaveRT, or regular Wave

Post by Acoustic Guitar »

Which is better? Heard that ASIO does better with an audio interface. Why does sound on my youtube go out if I try waveRT? I got a message from Greg via email stating "This can happen if you are using WaveRT mode and have Exclusive Mode selected in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences. It can also happen if you have a different sample rate selected in Mixcraft's sound device preferences than you do in your Windows sound settings."

I do not believe that I had it on exclusive mode but what about my Mixcraft sample rate and Windows sound settings? I am using the default settings now.

Thanks for the help
Mark Bliss

Re: ASIO, WaveRT, or regular Wave

Post by Mark Bliss »

Wave mode has a lot of latency (the delay between what you play and what you hear) and generally is to be avoided in the daw environment.
Between the other two depends on your specific hardware and use.
Ideally, for recording performance when multitracking, you want to get latency as low as your system will allow. For this you would want an audio interface supported by an ASIO driver. Using this would bypass all other audio devices to maximize performance.
For some uses, WaveRT is useful, again depending on what you are doing. I sometimes use it for general use, editing, etc. I dont use it for recording personally.

In either case, ASIO, or WaveRT, you will want to learn how to set buffers/latency to find the best setting for your specific system. Sometimes even a different setting for recording than when not recording is helpful.

The other issues you mention rely on the settings Greg already mentioned.
You will likely need to experiment until you find what works for you.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Re: ASIO, WaveRT, or regular Wave

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Open up Mixcraft and look at your Sound Device preferences. What sample rate do you have selected there?

Assuming you have Windows 10, right-click on the small volume control icon in your Windows and select Open Sound Settings. In the upper right area of that screen, open Sound Control Panel. Find your default audio playback device for Windows (it has a green check mark), then right-click on it and select Properties. On the Advanced tab, you can see the sample rate you're using for Windows.

You want those two sample rates to match.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101