Impulse Responses!

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

aragorn767

Impulse Responses!

Post by aragorn767 »

What are your favorite IRs? I just bought some cab IRs based on 2 different Marshall cabs from Lancaster that I'm pretty pleased with. Does anyone have any particular IRs they prefer for either cab or room verb sims?

Post the links where you can get them!
ste_p0270

Re: Impulse Responses!

Post by ste_p0270 »

I've honestly only really just got into using IR's - probably within the last 4 months or so - always used the stock
cabinet sims that were bundled with whatever device or software i was using at that particular time.

It's a bit of a minefield isn't it? You buy a bundle and there's like a million combinations available which doesn't help
people with short attention span or patience (ME!!! :D ).

Since I bought the POD GO, I've been using one particular OwnHammer IR, It's based on a Mesa Cab I think.. will have a look when
i get home. It sounds way cool with my hi-gain Soldano and Badonk amp sims.
M-Audio BX5 (pair)
Mixcraft 10.5 PS / EZDrummer3 / Sonicake Matribox 2
Ryzen 5800X / 32GB DDR4 / 1TB NVME / RX6800
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Like ste I've only used the amp sims and their bundles, currently Amplitube. TBH for me it's way too much! It's tough enough for me getting a mic placement in real life with a SM57 and my Blues Jr. When I'm messing with virtual rooms, mics etc it's kinda like you're always trying to chase 'that' sound and not be all in on what you really need. Not a distraction if you don't let it be but all the options can be mind boggling and can sure distract me from doing what I want to do in a timely manner.

Having said all that, it's absolutely amazing how far the sims have come in the last few years, truly amazing.

Also, I'm just a hobbyist so my needs are going to be much different than many, just thought I'd opine.

M
ste_p0270

Post by ste_p0270 »

Totally agree M

Some of the variations due to mic placement are so subtle that you wouldn't necessarily hear it in a full mix.

I've found one IR that I really like, it almost has that real cab punch to it - more organic sounding I guess :D

This is my signal chain in the POD GO:-
Attachments
Ste POD GO.JPG
Ste POD GO.JPG (178.59 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
M-Audio BX5 (pair)
Mixcraft 10.5 PS / EZDrummer3 / Sonicake Matribox 2
Ryzen 5800X / 32GB DDR4 / 1TB NVME / RX6800