Mixcraft 9 and mpe?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

NoBadMojo

Mixcraft 9 and mpe?

Post by NoBadMojo »

Having trouble finding a definitive answer to this ----> Does Mixcraft fully support mpe? Given using a PlugIn that supports it. thanks. looking to change DAW's.
jlouvar

Re: Mixcraft 9 and mpe?

Post by jlouvar »

I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZziKiE2Rmx0&t=190s about mpe and I highly recommend that you contact the mpe manufacturer and the third party plug-in Support for comparability questions.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
NoBadMojo

Post by NoBadMojo »

jlouvar wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:30 am I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZziKiE2Rmx0&t=190s about mpe and I highly recommend that you contact the mpe manufacturer and the third party plug-in Support for comparability questions.
thanks bud i think i;ve already checked that one out and have done a fair amount of research. all components need to support mpe <including the DAW> to be mpe compliant. I have 2 devices that are, and access to compliant synths, and compliant sounds..just want to know if Mixcraft supports it.....
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

NoBadMojo wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:41 pm just want to know if Mixcraft supports it.....
Try it and find out.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Reading through the MPE spec with a only a small amount of understanding :D , there are a few things at play that say Mixcraft is compatible and isn't. Though I'm not a designer of Mixcraft so I don't know the actually inner workings of the DAW. Anyway here's my short assessment:

Mixcraft receives midi messages when it records midi information. If the device or software sending the MIDI messages to mixcraft contain the new MPE RPN or NRPNs in their output, Mixcraft should record those messages. The same with a MIDI file loaded into Mixcraft that contains the new MPE repuposed RPNs or CCs. Here's the rub: the VST or the output device has to be able to recognize these MPE codes as MIDI MPE. If they are ignored or not programmed into the VST or hardware device, the results may be standard MIDI playback (depending on the original data) or unpredictable.

So take that as you will. I'm not sure I see the use as of yet of MPE. If we look back a few years at high definition MIDI velocity, one could surmise that it is bascially useless and not even implemnted that widely.
NoBadMojo

Post by NoBadMojo »

jlouvar wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:23 pm
NoBadMojo wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:41 pm just want to know if Mixcraft supports it.....
Try it and find out.
I would have to acquire the synth and sound presets to try it....i think i should first see if Mixcraft fully supports it. The new Studio One does, but it only supports it when playing back recorded tracks <from what i can see> ....not when played live. and i like to jam....the performance panel is Mixcraft is enticing for that, and that lead me here. I acquired the trial of Mixcraft and found a trial for an mpe synth with mpe presets and can post the results if there is interest. There really isnt a ton of info out there about this..nothing as to being able to utilize mpe live vs recorded. Presonus hasnt been any help
NoBadMojo

Post by NoBadMojo »

cactus-head wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:01 pm Reading through the MPE spec with a only a small amount of understanding :D , there are a few things at play that say Mixcraft is compatible and isn't. Though I'm not a designer of Mixcraft so I don't know the actually inner workings of the DAW. Anyway here's my short assessment:

Mixcraft receives midi messages when it records midi information. If the device or software sending the MIDI messages to mixcraft contain the new MPE RPN or NRPNs in their output, Mixcraft should record those messages. The same with a MIDI file loaded into Mixcraft that contains the new MPE repuposed RPNs or CCs. Here's the rub: the VST or the output device has to be able to recognize these MPE codes as MIDI MPE. If they are ignored or not programmed into the VST or hardware device, the results may be standard MIDI playback (depending on the original data) or unpredictable.

So take that as you will. I'm not sure I see the use as of yet of MPE. If we look back a few years at high definition MIDI velocity, one could surmise that it is bascially useless and not even implemnted that widely.
?? mpe allows you to play with much more expression than you otherwise could..i think that makes it highly useful. check out stuff by Roli if you would like to find out what it does vs standard midi or even channel aftertouch.
NoBadMojo

Post by NoBadMojo »

I was able to reach Mixcraft via live chat, and they were able to ask the developer......

The answer is that Mixcraft is NOT currently compatible with things mpe but they are working on new device compatibilities for Mixcraft 10 and didnt know when 10 would be available. I dont know the usual upgrade timing of Mixcraft or how long 9 has been out.

So now I need to decide between Mixcraft and Studio One 5 (which supports mpe...so they say). The vibe here at Mixcraft seems much better and Performance Panel and Omni Sampler seems great for a guy like me who is more into playing than recording.....you just never get it all with any DAW
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

...If we look back a few years at high resolution MIDI velocity, one could surmise that it is bascially useless and not even implemnted that widely.
Sorry about that, I didn't mean to make it sound like there's no use for it. I should've written: it's an exciting idea, but implementation may be slow until it is better understood and its uses are vetted. There's so much MIDI equipment in existence already that doesn't have the functionality and keyboards, rack units, etc. tend to be on the expensive side and not readily replaced. My opinion is - MPE is nice to have - but don't let it be an end all decision at this point in MPE's development.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

As midi itself improves these new improvements, if found globally useful, will become part of the midi protocol. Manufacturers realize that they can't just force a non compatible format down users throats, well.... To a certain extent. Particularly the midi controllers for the masses that don't require a tech to figure out, pretty much the biggest segment of their market. Most time things get implemented slowly or get bought out and either disappear or become the stuff of very high end users.

Just thought I'd throw in the old $.02 and IMO of course.

M
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

NoBadMojo wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:34 am I was able to reach Mixcraft via live chat, and they were able to ask the developer......

The answer is that Mixcraft is NOT currently compatible with things mpe but they are working on new device compatibilities for Mixcraft 10 and didnt know when 10 would be available. I dont know the usual upgrade timing of Mixcraft or how long 9 has been out.

So now I need to decide between Mixcraft and Studio One 5 (which supports mpe...so they say). The vibe here at Mixcraft seems much better and Performance Panel and Omni Sampler seems great for a guy like me who is more into playing than recording.....you just never get it all with any DAW
Hi,

Actually, that's incorrect. There was apparently a bit of Monday morning miscommunication on our end. You should totally be able to use MPE with Mixcraft, assuming the virtual instrument recognizes it.

Sorry for the confusion!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
NoBadMojo

Post by NoBadMojo »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:54 pm
NoBadMojo wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:34 am I was able to reach Mixcraft via live chat, and they were able to ask the developer......

Hi,

Actually, that's incorrect. There was apparently a bit of Monday morning miscommunication on our end. You should totally be able to use MPE with Mixcraft, assuming the virtual instrument recognizes it.

Sorry for the confusion!

Greg
You guys did a coin flip :) Seriously, thx for your follow up and your email. appreciated. Ed. Now to find a Virtual synth that doesnt cost an arm and both legs that works well. I think if you guys come out with a plug/in insert that converts existing instruments to mpe instruments (if that is even possible) you've got a gold mine down the road.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The Voltage Modular modular synthesis plugin that comes with Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio has an MPE Interface module (it's a separate purchase for $10). But you should note that since it's modular synthesis, you'd have to build your own MPE virtual instrument from scratch (or at least starting from presets), using different modules (like oscillators, enveloper generators, etc.)

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101