Two Issues with MC 9

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

aj113

Two Issues with MC 9

Post by aj113 »

1. When you select a part of an automation lane then move the handle up or down to automate, the reading is always shown as %, even if DB is selected as the default for faders. This is frankly infuriating and totally unusable with any kind of accuracy.

2. Undocked project/sound/mixer/library windows have the ability to minimise disabled in MC 9. This means you have to go back in, re-size, re-position etc. just to make a second edit, instead of just being able to drop it to the task bar and maximise/minimise on demand like MC 8.

Edit: With this details window open, clicking on the main MC GUI behind it does not change the focus. The focus should change to MC (in my opinion) but the details window just sits there until you actually close it off or dock it.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Two Issues with MC 9

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

1. Thanks for the suggestion! I imagine it works this way because you might be changing all kinds of parameters in the automation lane (like pan or an on/off plugin parameter), but I'm guessing there's no reason that it couldn't change to decibels when appropriate.

2. Thanks for the suggestion! So, I suppose you'd have separate minimized windows for each component of the details tab that you minimized. I'll pass it along.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:59 pm Hi,

1. Thanks for the suggestion! I imagine it works this way because you might be changing all kinds of parameters in the automation lane (like pan or an on/off plugin parameter), but I'm guessing there's no reason that it couldn't change to decibels when appropriate.
That's fair enough but I'm guessing the majority of automation is done on volume level. That certainly applies to me. And it's not so much a suggestion as MC 8 already works on DBs, it was changed for MC 9.
Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:59 pm

2. Thanks for the suggestion! So, I suppose you'd have separate minimized windows for each component of the details tab that you minimized. I'll pass it along.
Well perhaps, but it's more about having separate minimized windows for each separate track that the user wants to work on. Again, not so much a suggestion, as MC 8 already works like this, just a request to make MC9 do the same. I have a friend who refuses to use MC9 because this feature was removed.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 8 doesn't have the handle feature, or the option to undock the individual tabs, but point taken.

Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:34 pm Hi,

Mixcraft 8 doesn't have the handle feature, or the option to undock the individual tabs, but point taken.

Greg
MC does have the handle feature, make selection then ctrl+alt+q. In any case, I'm talking about any automation at all. In MC9 it is done in % only. In MC 8 it is done in DBs if DB is selected for faders. e.g. You can't boost a guitar solo by 3db in MC9, you can only visually guess the amount of boost because the % means nothing.

You have misunderstood my request for undocking; that is my fault for not explaining it well enough:

It's the details window I'm talking about, not the individual tabs. In MC 8 if you undock the details GUI, it becomes a details window, which can be minimized. In MC 9 this cannot be done.

Edit: I realise there is no actual handle in MC 8 on ctrl+alt+q but when the line is taken up or down it is measured in DB.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I filed it as "option to minimize details area."

Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Thank you.
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Sorry, but the automation dB vs % thing works for me in MC9 462.

But I agree on the undocked window sizing issue. Standard Windows Minimize/Restore/Maximize/Close buttons should be retained on any window capable of such.

BTW, thanks for making the docked windows separable.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

sjoens wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:13 pm Sorry, but the automation dB vs % thing works for me in MC9 462.
So yours shows the measurement in DB, not in % ?
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Two further points:

1. The nodes themselves are measured in DB. Surely it's incorrect to have two different methods of measurement in the same piece of automation?

2. After the first adjustment, if you make any subsequent adjustments, the reading goes back to 0%, regardless of where the line is. How is that in any way useful? That makes any adjustment of these lines literally a guess. How is anyone supposed to make the adjustment with any degree of accuracy?

If I want to raise a guitar solo by 3db I have to edit each individual node with the exact value. So my workflow for this operation has been increased significantly in MC9.
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

aj113 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:25 am
sjoens wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:13 pm Sorry, but the automation dB vs % thing works for me in MC9 462.
So yours shows the measurement in DB, not in % ?
Yes. I set both % and dB and the nodes followed for each one. It sounds like you may have something else going on for the issues you raise.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Yes. I set both % and dB and the nodes followed for each one. It sounds like you may have something else going on for the issues you raise.
It's not the nodes that have the problem. It's the reading given as the handle is moved up and down.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Yeah, the issue is with the handle, which is a new feature of version 9.
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

aj113 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:23 am It's not the nodes that have the problem. It's the reading given as the handle is moved up and down.
Gotcha. Another feature to add would be double clicking nodes to return them to -0-.