Stochas sequencer

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bohonmandp

Stochas sequencer

Post by bohonmandp »

I am trying to record with Stochas, a sequencer with probability programming. I put it in a MIDI track, followed by an instrument, e.g. Alien 303 Bass. When I arm and record, it sounds great! But nothing records unless I hold all the keys down on my Keylab mkII. Of course this has obvious drawbacks. Now I have been able to record with BlueARP arpeggiating a chord using the same routing. I would love to use Stochas! What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
CelloScott

Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Intel Core i5-6400, 48 GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Arturia Keylab 61 mkII, Novation BassStation II, Behringer Neutron, NS Design NXTa-5 cello
bohonmandp

Re: Stochas sequencer

Post by bohonmandp »

Okay, so I now see that I need to start with a note pressed. But the timing is messed up. Can I start the sequence by drawing in a note? Or sending a MIDI message somehow? Is there a way to record the actual MIDI sequence that is generated? Sorry, kind of new to this!
CelloScott

Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Intel Core i5-6400, 48 GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Arturia Keylab 61 mkII, Novation BassStation II, Behringer Neutron, NS Design NXTa-5 cello
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

The timing is off. I've been trying to understand it. The best option I've come up with is to set the playback speed to 4. Add a midi clip at measure 1 . You don't necessarily need to add any notes, For experiments sake, select the clip and set the playback to loop. Also add a second synth to the same track so you can hear the playback. First things first, lets just get something playing nice and simply.

Add a bunch of notes to layer 1 pattern 1. Click the play button on Mixcrafts transport and you should hear your notes from the seqeuncer. I noticed that the count up is off by one beat. When it reaches the last step, it seems to do a pickup beat before it starts over. It's weird but it is technically in time - just not visually.

Getting the midi to record is another thing. You have to route the midi playback to an output port and then have that output as an input on another track. You then record on that track. Keep it simple at first and just try to get the looping playback. I'm going to continue to mess around with this plugin to see if I can better understand it.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I messed around more with it and put together a quickstart guide. It's mostly about setting up Mixcraft and the MIDI routing to use Stochas and how to record on separate tracks. I'll attach it if anyone is interested. The information is probably useful for any routing to multiple tracks.

What I noticed about the plugin, at least with Mixcraft, is that the timing is super weird. The playback timing options in Stochas are not predictable. The only one that is consistent is setting the playback speed to 4.