Excellent free Spitfire Orchestral plugin

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Ianpb

Excellent free Spitfire Orchestral plugin

Post by Ianpb »

The BBC Free Orchestra Discover by Spitfire Audio. Free if you're prepared to answer a few questions and then wait two weeks for the email that allows you to download it, or 49 UK Pounds if you want it immediately.

The website: [https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/ ... -discover/][/url]

Demonstration video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RO0xiX ... e=emb_logo

Before installation I suggest you watch this video on this page first, because it can be a bit complicated: https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en ... -Libraries
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Re: Excellent free Spitfire Orchestral plugin

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

I can wait.... 8)
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

I waited; it was worth it. Very basic and simple but a good sound, good enough to use on a final track.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Yeah got my email link today. Great sound and more user friendly than the EastWest library. Will be making good use of this little beaut I'm sure.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

After a while, I found the Spitfire plugin somewhat disappointing. On its own it sounded reasonably good. However, I wanted some nice violins behind a rock project I'm working on, but the Spitfire sounded flutey in the mix, as if an ensemble of recorders was present alongside the violins. The texture of an authentic violin ensemble was missing. It was much the same with the Sonivox Orchestral Companion and Miroslav Philharmonik. Funnily enough, I found that the Mixcraft Hall Strings performed better than these two and the Spitfire plugin, albeit not well enough.

I then had an idea. I decided to create my own ensemble using the Mixcraft solo violin. I composed the midi track, fine tuning the various attacks and releases with the volume envelope. Once it was all satisfactory, I made seven copies of that track, ie. eight in all, and placed them within a submix. I then closed in to the start point and nudged each clip a small measure to the right of the one above. Played it: Excellent!

For some added depth, I added some reverb (using the Acoustica Pro Studio Reverb plugin), but only to the final track in order to preserve the texture on the others.

I then made a further improvement by replacing the second, fourth, sixth and eighth tracks with a solo violin from a different plugin; in this case it was the (free) Versilian Chamber Orchestra 2, with reverb turned off. The good thing about this one is that it has a fairly gritty sound, but works well in an ensemble.
Last edited by Ianpb on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:24 pm Yeah got my email link today. Great sound and more user friendly than the EastWest library.
That's not saying much :D
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

mixyguy2 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:34 am
Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:24 pm Yeah got my email link today. Great sound and more user friendly than the EastWest library.
That's not saying much :D
Ha ha, I concur! :lol:
Ludo

Post by Ludo »

Thank you OP for the info ! :D