Recording Multiple Input Tracks via USB

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

christiancryder

Recording Multiple Input Tracks via USB

Post by christiancryder »

Hi guys, this is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask before I buy the software.

We have a Yamaha MG166cx-USB mixing console - so it's got a handy USB output jack which I can plug into my computer.

What I want to know is if I have inputs running through 8 channels, and I "record" using Mixcraft, will I get 8 separate tracks recorded? (That's what I'm looking for). Or will it compress them all into one? (Meaning, we'd have to play / record multiple times to get each track).

What I'm looking for here is an ability to record live sessions, then go back and mix the tracks.

I'm assuming Mixcraft probably does this, but I just want to ask for sure before I plunk down cash on the software.

Thanks,
Christian
christiancryder

(and a followup question)

Post by christiancryder »

As a followup question - if I'm going to be recording on a laptop (portability reasons), do I need to get a laptop with a good quality soundcard, -OR- is there some kind of external soundcard that I could use, -OR- does the soundcard not really matter until you want to mix/playback?

I'm wondering how to avoid these latency issues that I'm reading about, and it sounds like the soundcards built into the motherboard pretty much suck. So I'm just wondering what to do about that.

Sorry if this is a neophyte question. Just trying to wrap my arms around how this works before I start spending money.

Christian
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Currently over USB 2.0 you will usually only be able to record two tracks at a time (Like a stereo mix.) This is a limitation of USB, not a limitation of Mixcraft.

We can look forward to an increase in bandwidth (and an increase in track counts over USB!) with USB 3.0 in 2010. When this happens USB should actually be better than Firewire.

Currently, to record more than two tracks simultaneously you probably would need to get a Firewire interface like this one.

Call a sales rep at Sweetwater and tell them what you want to do and they will let you know your options. They are always very helpful.

As a rule, an external interface is better than a built-in laptop soundcard. But it depends on what you are doing. With mix playbacks you won't hear much difference. With recording straight into your mic input you may notice a difference and an interface might help make it easier to get good consistent sound into your computer. Your Yamaha mixer can work as an interface. (Instrument/mic into the mixer and USB out to your computer.)
Last edited by Vibrant Audio on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Vibrant Audio*
ro1000

Post by ro1000 »

Last edited by ro1000 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Good call ro1000! I'm being schooled!

Those Alesis units are new this year and I hadn't noticed them. It looks like Alesis has developed their drivers to allow more channels.

However, I would still caution relying on advertising hype. In reading reviews, I see potential issues with overheating and audio dropouts with the Alesis Multimix products. Call Sweetwater!

I still recommend Firewire.
*Vibrant Audio*
ro1000

Post by ro1000 »

Wow, the newbie has actually learned something! :lol: And I remember when I was asking what an audio track was. :shock: Anyway, like Vibrant Audio said, if you CAN use firewire, use it. It is (at least for now) superior to USB except that it's not as common as USB and usually more expensive. Can't wait till USB 3.0 comes out, that's going to be awesome!