Alternatives to Soundcloud?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Alternatives to Soundcloud?

Post by BillW »

I finally got around to posting my music to Soundcloud (actually I posted one a couple years ago) so that friends and family could listen at their convenience (if they so desired).

All my music is cover versions - 60s / 70s classic rock mainly.

Three of my songs were rejected for copyright reasons. Only 3 out of 15. Two were Beatles songs (though one Beatles song made it through) and one Moody Blues.

(Maybe the other twelve were so bad their AI couldn't recognize them??)

The weird thing is two of the three songs were listed as being owned by bands I never heard of. One of the Beatles did say it was a Beatles song.

I wonder if Soundcloud just believes someone if they say they "own" a song?

Anyway - my real question is this - does anyone know of a similar site where I can post cover versions without copyright issues (I
m not charging anything obviously)? I want something where people can play them directly on that site - rather than say Google Drive where they would have to download it first.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Rolling Estonian

Re: Alternatives to Soundcloud?

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Not one with experience but I know a few folks who use Bandcamp and they seem pleased.

M
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Bill, I've only ever had one of my 40+ songs rejected by Soundcloud.
This was a child's Karaoke version of the song 'Naughty' from the stage musical Matilda.They came back with some other pop group who 'owned' a song called naughty. Not the same one obviously - this was from a kids musical :D I appealed, but was never answered.
I republished here https://hearthis.at/c8l7bh4m/naughty/ without any hiccups.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Northfield.Lenox

Post by Northfield.Lenox »

Hi - One way to share unlicensed covers would be through a service like OneDrive - just set up a shared folder and send the link to whomever.
BillW

Post by BillW »

The idea of a shared drive is easiest - but it requires a download or a link to an app to even sample the song.

The advantage of soundcloud of course is the player is right there. I suppose the other suggestions have the same thing? (And why, when you mention Bandcamp, do I find myself saying "this one time, in bandcamp..."?? I never even SAW that movie!)

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Hi trevlyns -
I joined hearthis premium (I may be sorry - I didn't check it out at all and I have a follower already which seems odd - and he/she downloaded some of my music

I had it set that you had to follow me to download but I didn't 'realize anyone could follow me without an invitation

They are all set to needing the link (Like you provided for "Naughty") but I'm kind of freaked out by someone following me within seconds of my setting up an account.

TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Great news! C'mon man: share the link to your page :lol:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
BillW

Post by BillW »

Well, here it is -
https://hearthis.at/billw

Let me know if you can access it; I guess the default bitrate for playing is very low and I'd have to reset each to make it higher; they are flac files but they seem to play

The site seems buggy though - it stops playing sometimes for no reason.

BillW

Post by BillW »

BTW - I don't sing in any of the song ; the vocals are from JAMKazam (where you can buy songs by cover bands for $3 and you get individual MP3 tracks of each instrument and vocals;

but all the instruments are mine one way or another (playing, "entering" in the piano roll, drum pads (EZDrummer) or clips and a lot of digital magic (recording one or two bars at a time or slow and then speed it up to real speed) etc etc.

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I've had "stalkers" or bots do that on several services, faster than they could possibly even listen to a song. Soon they try to "sell you hits" (listen, likes, whatever is applicable) its annoying, but I just ignore/delete as needed.
Soundcloud seems to try to weed them out, but its a game of "whack-a-mole"
Most other services dont even seem to try.

Anyway, as to the original question:
This is the first I have heard of this happening on Soundcloud. YouTube, all the time however.
And for you Bill, it seems to be more a matter of convenience than a concern about the ultimate uncompressed file related exchange. So my first suggestion would be- why not just send upper quality mp3 files via e-mail? Most any modern provider allows file sizes that would support this, and every computer in recent history has a compatible media player installed.
Another option I use- both drop box and google drive can support streaming playback directly from a link. No downloading, no player needed. It does require a current browser, but that only limits a low number of people in my experience.
I use the latter fairly often when working with others on projects to demo updates, versions, ideas...
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hey Bill, just letting you know the link worked fine for me.

Looks like you have been having fun, and what a way to learn a lot!

But just so you know, the Temptations medley sounds severely distorted. Otherwise the site playback seems to work ok for me.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
BillW

Post by BillW »

Ah - the Temptations medley!

Recorded on a cassette recorder with its built in microphone in 1970!

My Rock and Soul band as a senior in high school - I used some filters etc from Mixcraft to get it it somewhat listenable. Probably will get around to trying to improve more someday

I only preserved a few songs from what to that point was the best year of my life! I include that as a memory as well as my kids hearing what the the old man did for fun "back in the day"!

BTW - I played bass in that band

BillW

Post by BillW »

I downgraded my account for now and thre is no music - I think because it doesn't support FLAC unless it's premium? Anyway, in case anyone is looking that's why you see nothing.