Custom Drum Mapping

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dannerino

Custom Drum Mapping

Post by dannerino »

No matter how much I try to understand creating a custom drum map, I can't do it.

I have 2 Yamaha DTX kits that I've combined into one big kit. I use two modules of course. When I connect the DTX to Mixcraft and arm a track for DTX, it receives my hi hat closed as a Cuica Open.

I've read the manual. I've read a few related forum entries. I've followed the steps. And it still gives me the stupid duck sound when I hit my closed hi hat. I must not be doing something right, like getting the GUID from the log file.

Is creating a custom drum map actually easy? I have worked as a programmer for years so I should be able to get it. But I don't. Help.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Custom Drum Mapping

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

When we talk about custom drum maps in Mixcraft's manual, we're just talking about labeling the drums the notes play correctly. We're not talking about making a MIDI note play a different drum part.

Which virtual instrument are you using? Different virtual instruments can be mapped differently. Some of them might allow you to change which note plays which drum part. Does your Yamaha DTX allow you to change which notes are sent?

On the other hand, if you're trying to follow the custom drum map instructions in Mixcraft's manual, you could send us the file and we could check it out for formatting issues.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
dannerino

Post by dannerino »

The step in which I am supposed to search the log file for the GUID does not make sense. If I created a drum map text file called Dans.txt, do I search the log file for that? It doesn't exist. It isn't clear ANYWHERE what I am supposed to search for. I searched for Dans and it wasn't found. It seems, in other examples, that searching the log file finds the GUID when it matches the search terms and finds the matching dll file. There is no Dans.dll of course. Why is this step so undocumented, or at least not clear?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Load the drum virtual instrument in Mixcraft, then quit Mixcraft, find the mixcraft-log.txt file and look for the plugin being loaded in the log file.

I just did this with EZDrummer, and when I searched for "EZDrummer" in the log file, I found this:

09:49:23 [589 mils] : Loading Effect GUID {64666865-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}, isInstrument = 1

09:49:23 [589 mils] : Loading effect EZdrummer

The GUID in this case is: 64666865-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

The mixcraft-log.txt file can be found here:

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft

Greg
dannerino

Post by dannerino »

I've made a little progress in understanding. First off, my laptop, and therefore Mixcraft, did not have a VST for my drum kit. When I connect the kit to the laptop, an external VST is available. If I select that VST while connected as the instrument for a track, it sounds right. My hi hats are hi hats and I don't hear the cuica as I was before.

Now the problem is making that external VST available when I'm not connected to the kit. I have not had any luck finding a downloadable VST online. Is this what I should be looking for?
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

To be clear, you are connecting physical drum hardware to your lap top. Correct?

I don't believe it's Mixcrafts drum map that you have to worry about. I think you have to understand what pads and triggers are mapped to what MIDI note.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Right, Mixcraft's drum mapping just labels the drum kit parts correctly, it doesn't cause a MIDI note to play a different part of the drum kit.

What's the "external VST" called, exactly?

Greg