Comparing automation curves between Mixcraft 8 and 9

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

creativeforge

Comparing automation curves between Mixcraft 8 and 9

Post by creativeforge »

Looking for comments by users:

How do you like the new "bezier-like" curves, do you find you were able to transition well from the linear one in v8 and the multi-form one in v9?

Thanks!
Mark Bliss

Re: Comparing automation curves between Mixcraft 8 and 9

Post by Mark Bliss »

As far as "ease of use" goes, no problem whatsoever.

As far as practical utility goes, I'd say its very easy to simply ignore for many real world uses in what I consider "common" automation application.
There are times where in previous versions I might apply multiple points to tweak an automation, and now the curve option saves time.
But honestly, thats more the exception than the rule for me, though I do use curves subtly at times, more often than not the curves are just not used.

Now if more options were available in the cc portion of the piano roll, that might make some people happy.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Thanks Mark, so basically in v9 we can treat the automation just as if it was v8, simply linear?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Oh yeah. I still find it simple and intuitive. The added features arent "in the way" if thats the question. And I use automation heavily in mixing.
And there are other far better reasons to migrate from 8 to 9 if thats part of the question.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Ah good. Watching the video and seeing those curves I could not see any advantage for me.

Now about other advantages (I would go for the Pro Studio upgrade), can you run a short list of the top 5 ? :mrgreen:
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well, every user is different, and has different user patterns and needs.
But first off- as far as upgrading to PS, I have often said that Piannisimo alone is worth the price of that. And even though Melodyne essentials is the bare bones basic version of Celemonys software, it is excellent for using to nudge a slightly fudged vocal note here and there while sounding amazingly natural.
As far as 8 to 9 in general goes, theres a lot of little stuff. Personally, though there was always a workaround, the gain knob in the mixer is a time saver for tweaking the input of my gain structure for mixing.
I also use the new eq in the mixer a lot more, having found the mid-range in the old version nearly useless for my needs.
I am sure I am forgetting some things, but I migrated to 9 as soon as I got access to the beta, and never felt the desire to open 8 again. Its been quite a while now....
Some people dont like the darker colors. Honestly, I didnt at first. But now I am used to them. Cant hear any difference. :wink:
There are lots o little details that would probably now make v8 "feel clunky" by comparison. And while I am generally not the type to jump on the newest version before vetting it, and there are always a couple of little things I would like to see changed....
I couldnt imagine going back now.

Load the demo and try it out for yourself!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Thank you Mark!

One more question - how about opening an mx7 file in mx9?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Mixcraft is backwards compatable, in that it will open old projects from previous versions.

One area of possible problems is with plug-ins.
You would of course need to have any previously used plug-ins available for the new version to load. Also there is the issue of 64 bit vs. 32 bit.
64 bit has a bit bridge built in and should run 32 bit plug-ins, but you may have performance issues running many of them.

Assuming you are running on a capable system that supports it, you could install both 32 and 64 bit versions of Mixcraft if you want. You could leave mx7 installed until you decide you are done needing it as well.

Another thought you might want to consider- if you open a mx7 project in mx9, once you save, it becomes an mx9 project. Mx7 will not open mx8 or 9 projects. So you might consider archiving a copy of your old project folders, again, until you are certain you are done with them.
Honestly, I used to do that, but never really found the need to personally. But it might be best to save copies of important project folders that are of importance to you until you are confident in your transition.

Remember- entire project folder, not just project file. Dont create orphan files...
Save project to folder, copy and create archive in a back up location.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

So here’s an example from my current project (hope to have it finished before Covid goes away. :( )
It’s just a short clip (about 15 seconds) right at the end when the whole song is fading to zero.
I wanted this effect of crows in a churchyard; borrowed from Freesound.org.
If you look at the waveform, It needed a bit of a boost at the start, but then a taper in the middle and finally a cut at the end for the last ‘screech’
It took quite a bit of tweaking to get it to sit just right with all the other (9) fading tracks.
+1 for bezel!

Automation.png
Automation.png (79.99 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Thank you Mark and trevlyns! Good stuff. :)

I have two computers, one still has MX7 and MX8 on it. So I should be good. And I was happy to find Copy project files to Zip a few months back. I try to mix MIDI tracks to audio before saving, although I don't think it bakes the effects in there, does it?
jchase9101

Post by jchase9101 »

I freaking LOVE them.
Like, wow, when I pull up one of my old MC6 or MC7 sessions, there's a literal armada of little "points" on ALL my tracks, looks like they got chicken pox or somethin',

The new curves, why did we just get those now?!?!?

...not complaining, happy to have them, makes all my fades sound so much more fluid and natural now.

BIG Thank You! to Greg and the whole team, keep rockin'!
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

jchase9101 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:23 pm I freaking LOVE them.
Like, wow, when I pull up one of my old MC6 or MC7 sessions, there's a literal armada of little "points" on ALL my tracks, looks like they got chicken pox or somethin',

The new curves, why did we just get those now?!?!?

...not complaining, happy to have them, makes all my fades sound so much more fluid and natural now.

BIG Thank You! to Greg and the whole team, keep rockin'!

:lol: :D :mrgreen:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

People wanted curves, so we added curves.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

creativeforge wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:02 am...And I was happy to find Copy project files to Zip a few months back. I try to mix MIDI tracks to audio before saving, although I don't think it bakes the effects in there, does it?
I think the answer might rely on your specific method.
Generally if I commit and mix down a midi track, the method would include effects, unless I chose to bypass them for mixdown.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page