Problem saving my first project

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

solidterry

Problem saving my first project

Post by solidterry »

Hi everyone. I’m new to Mixcraft and am having trouble saving my first project which uses MIDI tracks created using my Axiom 25 keyboard controller. I’m using Mixcraft 9 with Windows 10. When I use the “Save” method (Cntl-S or clicking the floppy disk icon at the top of the screen), I’m taken to a window containing a folder that says “Mixcraft Project 1”. If I fill in the song name in the field at the bottom of the Save window and hit Enter I get an error message in Mixcraft showing my C drive path and saying "Mixcraft was unable to save the project because it might be in use by another program" (not the case as far as I can see), or there might not be enough space on my computer (I’ve got plenty of space), or I need to plug in my flash drive if I’m trying to save to that (which I’m not). Interestingly, when I hit OK on the error message, the song title shows up in the title bar at the top of the Mixcraft screen anyway. The “Mixcraft Project 1” folder remains empty throughout all of the above.

By the way, am I supposed to change the name of this folder to the name of the tune, or am I supposed to keep the “Mixcraft Project 1” folder title intact and click it to get into the empty folder and name the tune there?

If I instead use the “Copy Project Files To” method I get a message saying “You have made changes that have not been saved. Would you like to save your changes?” When I click Yes I just run into the same issue I described in the first paragraph.

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong? Am I supposed to convert the MIDI files to audio files before I can save? Sorry to be such a newbie, but I’m just baffled.
TrevsAudio

Re: Problem saving my first project

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi and welcome to the forum! :D
First, go to Preferences (File>Preferences or the gear icon at the top of your screen. Then go to Recording and check what is marked in the first dropdown, 'Default Project File' This is where Mixcraft will save your files to and you can change it if required.
So now, when you hit save, it will open to that default folder and then all you have to do is name your current project.
Hope this helps!
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
solidterry

Post by solidterry »

Thanks for replying, Trevor. I tried your suggestion and got the same results. The 'Default Project Folder' drive path is shown as C:\Users\19174\OneDrive\Documents\Mixcraft Projects\, but I checked that folder and it is empty. That's the file location I've been trying to save to. I then tried changing the Default Project Folder in Preferences to my "D" drive and created a new Mixcraft Projects folder there (D:\Mixcraft Projects) and tried saving (and "copying to") again and got the same results.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Is everything on Windows setup by default to store to the cloud: OneDrive? I dunno, maybe permissions? I don't even know if Mixcraft works with OneDrive
solidterry

Post by solidterry »

I thought about that too, Cactus. But the D drive doesn't appear to be connected to the cloud -- only the C drive.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try setting the default project folder to this:

C:\Users\19174\Documents\Mixcraft Projects\

Instead of this:

C:\Users\19174\OneDrive\Documents\Mixcraft Projects\

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
solidterry

Post by solidterry »

Holy Moly! That worked, Greg! I guess it really was a "One Drive" issue after all. Thanks a million, man. This problem has had me feeling so down for days, and now I can get excited again. All the best to you, sir. :D
solidterry

Post by solidterry »

And thank you too, Cactus, for even mentioning the cloud issue to begin with. :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

OneDrive keeps sneaking in everywhere.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101